Thoughts on Lowell?

It is a Family name and I am growing quite fond of it. Can a little boy, young man pull it off? Give me some feedback!

Hmm, [name]Lowell[/name] is the street next to the street I grew up on, it’s a lovely sounding word. I had never thought of it as a name before, but I think I like it. I can definitely see it on a grown man. As for a little boy, hmm, I think I’d call him Loe (Like [name]Chloe[/name] without the Ch) or Lo… I actually think this would be a really cute name, totally original, but not weird!

I think it’s a little wimpy for me. The first thing i think of is the worm Lowlly from that book. I think an elderly man could pull it off, but not a young child or expexcially a teenager. A possible nickname would be Low. Im sure a teen boy would rather go by a middle name.
But if you really love it, go for it.
=)

I think it would make a nice - meaningful - middle name. I like when people use real family names and not just something that is from a list of names other people like, so I would definitely use it somewhere. It has strength and purpose for the middle name.

For a first name, it’s not the most terrible either. If people are choosing names like [name]Emmett[/name] and [name]Declan[/name] and [name]Lachlan[/name], I don’t think [name]Lowell[/name] would fare too poorly among them. It might depend on where you’re posting from. I think certain things of a [name]Lowell[/name], perhaps you live in the South and it’s traditional, a name like [name]Lowell[/name] could be strong. I don’t know about Europe or Australia. I mostly think of the character on Wings played by [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Haden[/name] Church, the airplane mechanic who was kind of dumb but sweet. I also think it sounds close to [name]Lola[/name] - if names like [name]Lola[/name] are popular where you live, he might get called that by some unimaginative cruel kids. If that were my family name, I would have more positive associations with it, but other people will make other assumptions of his character, some of which his personality might be to overcompensate.

I don’t think I would put this first even if it meant something to me, but as something with genealogical significance to you, I think it’s great in the middle.

[name]Hi[/name], Zard. :slight_smile: I personally wouldn’t use a name beginning with the word “Low,” but that’s just me. I remember the little boy, [name]Lowell[/name], in the movie Kindergarten Cop (yeah, random association, I know…) who worried about everything, including brain tumors.

I would personally keep it in the middle, where I think it would sound fantastic.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Jill[/name],

I see what your saying. We probably will not use it in the middle because we will be honoring my family with our next childs middle name. [name]Lowell[/name] [name]William[/name] was my husbands grandfather. I just like the old school feel and uniqueness of [name]Lowell[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you have any suggestions for something with that feel? What do you think of [name]Orson[/name]?

[name]Karen[/name],

I am in the south. I not originally from the area but have grown to love how they keep family names going along with giving sons mothers maiden names. I think that’s why I think it works as a first name. But I can see everyones point. [name]Do[/name] you have any suggestions for something along the lines of [name]Lowell[/name]? We will not be using it as a middle name.

Zard, I think that [name]Lowell[/name] really would work in the south. It wouldn’t seem all that strange there, would it? I don’t think you should scratch it off the list just yet. Have you decided on the middle name yet? [name]Lowell[/name] [name]William[/name] is very, very nice!

It is really difficult to say objectively that it’s a great name overall, but I dig that you’re in the south - not that I’ve ever really spent any time there - I think for all intents and purposes, it is probably the perfect name for your son. I don’t think he will fare poorly with that name, given the location and the current popularity of surname names, AND that it’s authentic to you. Maybe I think randomly naming one’s son [name]Lowell[/name] would have some different effect than if he grows up appreciating his name as a connection to family, he’ll probably be really proud of it actually. I think in that way, it sounds nicer to the ear than a lot of suggestions people have that just sound nice or tickle one’s fancy because they sound handsome and sensitive.

If there’s one thing I would always suggest, it’s that you shouldn’t settle for a name that’s so meh, just because everyone else likes it. It’s your kid. I hear in your story that you really want to name him [name]Lowell[/name], and if you let little doubts in and name him something else, you’ll probably feel that compromise later with some regrets that he doesn’t have the name. A lot of people just can’t seem to choose, and sort of put their child’s name up for a vote, but I feel that you’ve chosen. [name]Lowell[/name] has the most depth for you, it seems, so unless something else comes up that really blows your pants off, I think his name should be [name]Lowell[/name].

Oh I still very much like the name. A family name I love will win out for me over a name I love with no family history. That being said I wast just interested I in what any of you thought would be a great alternative. I think in the end if we have a boy [name]Lowell[/name] is definately a front runner!

I’m glad you still like it… I was looking through [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Aiden[/name] for something with that feel, and I didn’t find anything! I’ll keep looking though!

If you love it, you should use it, Zard. Different people have different associations with the name, and if I hadn’t seen Kindegarten Cop 95 times in my youth, I wouldn’t be thinking of that little [name]Lowell[/name]:

[name]Arnold[/name] Schwarzenegger: “I have a headache.”

[name]Lowell[/name]: “It may be a tumor…”

[name]Arnold[/name]: “Eeeets naht a toooomuh!”

Some random names that remind me of [name]Lowell[/name]:

[name]Langdon[/name]
[name]Langston[/name]
[name]Leopold[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Leland[/name]
[name]Lawson[/name]
Laraby
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Abner[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Baxter[/name]
[name]Basil[/name] (tastes good, too) :slight_smile:
[name]Barlow[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Cashel[/name]
[name]Coleman[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Clayton[/name]
[name]Clifton[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Ellison[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name]
[name]Gibson[/name]
[name]Homer[/name]
[name]Marshall[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Monroe[/name]
[name]Nolan[/name]
[name]Pierson[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]
[name]Winslow[/name] (although he’ll spend his life pleading the case that he wasn’t named in honor of the sitcom Family Matters)
[name]Whittaker[/name]

I do like [name]Orson[/name], Zard, and think it’s great with little [name]Emery[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Charleston[/name]
[name]Berkeley[/name]

[name]HI[/name]!
My fathers name is [name]Lowell[/name]. I really lke the name. Hes called [name]Jr[/name]. by my mom but by everyone else hes just [name]Lowell[/name]. Its also my brothers name and hes 20. Hes done fine with the name except for a short period of time when he was little and he wanted to be called [name]Chris[/name] XD but he got over it and is fine with it now! From what I know he never got teased or anything. My brother is [name]Lowell[/name] the third, My dad is [name]Lowell[/name] the second ([name]Jr[/name].) and my grandpa is the first. When we’re all up at my grandpas my grandma walks around yelling “[name]Lowell[/name] the third! Get over here!” so its kinda amusing. And my father is a very sucessful man. Well, hope I helped some!

~[name]Bree[/name]

1. [name]Love[/name] the name [name]Lowell[/name]. Elegant and refined but not wimpy at all!! I think this name works especially well in the south.

2. Family names that mean something to you trump all other issues in my book.

3. [name]Don[/name]'t spend a moment worrying about pop culture associations. The associations of our generation will not be the associations of future generations, ie. little [name]Lowell[/name]'s peers. Good lord, if we cataloged the name of every annoying movie character what names would be left? Was the name [name]Pat[/name] (or [name]Patrick[/name]) ruined by that [name]Saturday[/name] [name]Night[/name] Live Sketch? Is the name [name]Lance[/name] helped or hurt by [name]Lance[/name] [name]Armstrong[/name]? I think it completely depends on who you are - there’s no right answer.

My 2 cents.

I think [name]Lowell[/name] [name]William[/name] is an awesome name. I agree with the posters above that if you love it, and other people sway your feelings, that you will regret it. Also agree with the posters above that family connections are important. Best of luck!

I agree completely with the previous posters. Since you love it AND it’s a family name particularly, by all means GO FOR IT! :slight_smile: I’m from the south and also love family surnames for sons (on my future list is [name]Harris[/name] and [name]Sayer[/name], for example).

I think [name]Lowell[/name] is great and that he’ll come to appreciate and be proud of the family connection! It’s also true that the surname-as-first-name trend is growing all over the country, so hell likely be the only [name]Lowell[/name]…but, he probably won’t be the only surname-first-name in his class, so it won’t seem too foreign. [name]Love[/name] it!

Thanks for all the great feedback! I like getting honest opinions! Another name that I am loving lately is [name]Byron[/name]. It is also a family name but of my great uncle so not hugely sentimental. I just like the feel of it!

[name]Byron[/name] is awesome! [name]Byron[/name] [name]Lowell[/name] or [name]Lowell[/name] [name]Byron[/name] would be awesome too!
One word of advice, If use [name]Byron[/name] [name]James[/name], although its a nice name, [name]James[/name] [name]Dean[/name]'s middle name was [name]Byron[/name]. I’m sure not alot of people know that but it would be something I would think of, but wouldn’t be a big deal.

While I generally prefer to stick to - well, [name]Daniel[/name] has been my favorite name forever, and in general, names like it tend to appeal more to me than a lot of “current” suggestions, [name]Byron[/name] would go on my list. I made my top 10 and I really came up with only 9 and managed to figure [name]David[/name] an adequate #10 just to have it done with, I really think [name]Byron[/name] should be on my list. I totally feel great about the name [name]Byron[/name].