Thoughts on Mary?

We are not catholic (or religious at all), but we do love classic, strong names. We have a [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and a [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think we could name our next daughter [name_f]Mary[/name_f]? My concerns are that it is…

1. Too similar to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
  2. Too religious

Thoughts?

To me, [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is quite close-but-not-too-close to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. It would def work with your other names. I also heard that [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is supposed to come back soonish… [name_f]Mary[/name_f] was the top bet for one of the royal babies, too. I don’t think it is too religious.

My biggest issue with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] for you is that it matches to well with [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] seems left out. Also, sometimes people had trouble remembering which is which when siblings share first initials. My brothers deal with that still in the 20s.

Otherwise, I love [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. I know a young [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], which I find adorable. It could be religious choice but it doesn’t have to be. It is also a nice classic choice.

Have you thought about [name_f]Ann[/name_f] or [name_f]Frances[/name_f]?

I love [name_f]Mary[/name_f]!
[name_f]IMO[/name_f] it’s too close to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] though :confused:
I don’t see it as too religious…I see it as classic [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. Does [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] have a nichnme?

With [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] would be perfect:)
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] nn [name_f]Hattie[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but I’m not sure I would use it with [name_f]Jane[/name_f], actually. (Am I the only one who thinks weed with maryjane?)

Suggestions with [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]:

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]

Good luck deciding!

I think it’s too close and I agree with @sbw.

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Marcy[/name_f]
[name_f]Mercy[/name_f]
[name_f]Gracie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lainey[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]

I agree with most of the other posters that it’s not too religious, but it’s too similar to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]

I don’t think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is too similar to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] to use, but they do sound pretty close. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] obviously has significance in the [name_m]Christian[/name_m] religion, but I don’t see it as being an overtly religious name - more a vintage or old-fashioned one.

Yes! We love [name_f]Anne[/name_f] and [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. Both of those are on our list. I worry that [name_f]Anne[/name_f] is too similar to [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. thoughts?

I think there was another recent post discussing the names [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] for sisters. I like [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] have a long history of use together. [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] feel very clasic.