Thoughts on Minnie?

Totally set on [name]Minnie[/name] [name]Tyler[/name] for our daughter but (the few) people with whom we have shared have been rather negative (yes, I know she will share her name with a famous mouse.) But still … thoughts??

I like it in spite of the overpowering mouse images that it conjures up. It also makes me think of [name]Minnie[/name] Driver, too. It seems like a happy and sweet little girl name. As a nickname for sometime like [name]Minerva[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name] or any name of your choosing, would make it positively divine.

At first, I was completely shocked that you were going to name your daughter [name]Minnie[/name]. And then, I fell in love with the name! It is perfect for a baby, toddler, child, teen, and adult. Good choice!

It’s very cute.

Waaay too nicknamey for a full name. I really like it, though, as a nickname for [name]Jessamine[/name], [name]Minerva[/name], [name]Wilhelmina[/name], or really anything (I know a [name]Mary[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] nicknamed [name]Minnie[/name]).

I think [name]Minnie[/name] is really cute but personally I would use it only as a nn, it would give your daughter more options if she didn’t like the connections with the mouse to have a full name like [name]Jessamine[/name], Minnah, Morina, etc. to fall back on. But I have known a couple of Minnies and who love their names (though they all had [name]Minnie[/name] Mouse collections :slight_smile: ) so if that’s the name you love, go with it!

I see it as a nick-name, too. I would like to think someone named [name]Minnie[/name] has a secret name that is very sophisticated that only her family and close friends can know.
I do like [name]Minnie[/name] though ever since I have started watching [name]Lark[/name] Rise to Candleford. I love the character called “[name]Minnie[/name]” on the show. Her name is really [name]Winifred[/name], but you only hear it once.

I love [name]Minnie[/name] actually! If I decide to name one of my daughters after me, she would be [name]Martina[/name] [name]Jubilee[/name] with the nicknames [name]Minnie[/name], and MJ! I say go for it! It is hard to find a full name that sounds good enough, so I would say just use [name]Minne[/name] instead of trying to find a full name that gives you the nn [name]Minnie[/name]. Well…unless you use [name]Martina[/name] or [name]Martine[/name]. Otherwise, the options are horrible imo.

In normal circumstances, I would find [name]Minnie[/name] a little nicknamey for a full name. However, I teach a little girl called [name]Minnie[/name] in my class (she’s 9) and she is completely delightful. Clever, funny, polite and sweet. I think her name really suits her and so i have a very positive image of it.

[name]Just[/name] as a point of interest, she has an older brother called [name]George[/name] :slight_smile:

Well it is my nickname… so I like it! My full name is Minuette (min-you-et-eh) but everyone apart from my parents calls me [name]Minnie[/name]. I’m assuming [name]Tyler[/name] is your surname? It is way too masculine for a girls middle name imo.

[name]Minnie[/name] x

Thank you everyone … get that reaction a lot … hate it but then it grows. That is what happened to us (my son actually picked it and we started using but it stuck!) [name]Tyler[/name] is actually my brothers name, not out last name but have always loved it for a girl. First child got first brother, second gets second brother and my sis only gets in if we go for a third :slight_smile: Unfortunately, not a fan of NN - I know it’s a personal opinion but like naming the baby what we actually plan to call it. thank you for your suggestions though!

Cute but I would only use it as a nickname, we had pet sheep [name]Minnie[/name] & [name]Billy[/name].

First thought is of the mouse :wink: Then I thought about it and it started to grow on me! I think it’s a really cute name! I am all for using a nickname as a first name. If you love it, you should go for it! :smiley:

I know you said you don’t like nn’s, and as someone who’s parents always called her by her middle name rather than her first, I’m not a huge fan of naming a child something you won’t call him/her either. But I don’t know, I really strongly feel that a child deserves a name that really seems full and complete and I don’t think [name]Minnie[/name] has that. I can’t really imagine the name [name]Minnie[/name] on a grown, professional woman. I know the actress [name]Minnie[/name] Driver seems to pull it off, but her full name is [name]Amelia[/name]. I think it’s nice for a child, once their older, to have options with their name,

I think any M name can lead to the nickname [name]Minnie[/name] without it seeming odd.
some suggestions:
[name]Miranda[/name] [name]Tyler[/name]
[name]Minette[/name] [name]Tyler[/name]
[name]Minetta[/name] [name]Tyler[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Tyler[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Tyler[/name]
[name]Marilyn[/name] [name]Tyler[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name] [name]Tyler[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Tyler[/name]
[name]Marina[/name] [name]Tyler[/name]

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]MINNIE[/name]!
I really want to use it as the nn for our next little one (if it’s a girl). I love formal firsts with cute nns. I think it works on it’s own too!

[name]Love[/name] it! It is on my top list for names for our baby girl, but my hubby cannot completely get on board. I say go for it!!! It is cute, sweet, and can grow with your sweet little girl!!! :slight_smile:

I have to agree with Mam2321. I also strongly agree believe that it isn’t really fair to saddle a child with a name like [name]Minnie[/name], which seems very much like a nickname and wouldn’t work in a professional field, in my opinion. I’m sure you can picture a 3 year old [name]Minnie[/name], but, could you imagine [name]Minnie[/name] at 60? What about [name]Minnie[/name] the divorce lawyer or judge? If you really like [name]Minnie[/name], I would think about looking for another M name that you like that could work with [name]Minnie[/name] as a nickname. [name]Even[/name] if you aren’t a big fan of nicknames, it’s important to keep in mind that you want your daughter to feel comfortable with her name at any age.