Thoughts on Muriel/Mariel?

We had picked [name]Hazel[/name] for our baby (and will probably still go with it) but now that we’re only several weeks away from the birth, dh wants a back-up name in case she doesn’t look like a [name]Hazel[/name]. I don’t think it will be a problem since I’ve only once in my life seen a newborn baby that looked like a particular name, but I don’t mind having a back-up.

He likes [name]Muriel[/name] or [name]Mariel[/name]. This was a name that was on our list for a time, but it had fallen by the wayside. Now he’s seriously talking about it as our back-up. I like it well enough to use with either variation, though I lean a little toward [name]Muriel[/name] while he leans a little toward [name]Mariel[/name].

WDYT?

I think [name]Hazel[/name] is such a sweet name! :slight_smile: I like both [name]Muriel[/name] and [name]Mariel[/name], but if I can only pick one, I’ll go with [name]Mariel[/name], because I like the “mare” sound better than the “myur” sound. Then again, I really like the vintage feel of [name]Muriel[/name], which feels closer to [name]Hazel[/name] to me than [name]Mariel[/name]. Overall, I’m sticking with [name]Mariel[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] for fun, here are some more names that remind me of [name]Hazel[/name]:

[name]Bess[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Fern[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name]
[name]Mae[/name]/[name]May[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Mariel[/name] – it sounds fresher than [name]Muriel[/name].

[name]Mariel[/name] to me is easier to pronounce. I think its prettier too.

As I’ve never met a [name]Muriel[/name] in real life the name makes me think of the slightly nutso character of [name]Muriel[/name] from the Australian film “[name]Muriel[/name]'s Wedding”. I don’t think the film is terribly well known outside of Australia and the UK though. [name]Worth[/name] a watch if you’re considering this name…although on second thought it might put you off so maybe don’t :slight_smile:

I love [name]Hazel[/name], its very pretty!
However [name]Muriel[/name] is all old lady to me, i simply cannot see this as the name of an infant, toddler, child and i think a teenager would despise it. [name]Mariel[/name] is much better, still not as good as [name]Hazel[/name] but leaps and bounds over [name]Muriel[/name]. So out of the two [name]Mariel[/name] is the winner

I adore [name]Muriel[/name], and I think I prefer it over [name]Mariel[/name]. While [name]Muriel[/name] is always pronounced mure-ree-ol, [name]Mariel[/name] can be mare-ree-ell or mare-ree-ol. But [name]Marielle[/name] is a common middle aged name where I live, so maybe my judgement is a bit off. On the other hand, [name]Hazel[/name] is just darling and I will be very remiss if you don’t use it. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m pretty sure this baby’s name will end up being [name]Hazel[/name], but I appreciate your input on the other ideas.