Thoughts on my backup lists

Attempting to make a backup list of names I can genuinely see myself using. I’ve had quite a bit of difficulty on the boys side, but I think I have a partial tentative list now. What are your thoughts on the lists (thoughts on them for me, not so much if you like or would use the names)?

Primary lists, for reference - #s 1-8/9

1. Phoebe
  2. Moon
  3. Romy
  4. Sylvie
  5. Agnes
  6. Cleo
  7. Esther
  8. Zelda
  9. Maude
  1. Theodore “Teddy”
  2. August
  3. Oliver
  4. Sage
  5. Elio
  6. Bram
  7. Eden
  8. Teddy (just Teddy)

Tentative backup lists (particularly tentative on the boy list) - no order of preference
Anouk
Colette (would be on primary list, but I can’t get with the cuh-let pronunciation rather than cole-ett)
Greta
Frida
Ottilie
Marianne
Margot / Iris / Twyla / Thomasin / Branwen / Eloise all possibilities

Ari
July
Merritt
Auden
Alder
Eliot
Pasha
Bryn
Ozzie

I’m fairly sure of keeping Ari and July on the boys list, but am iffy on the rest

I really like most names on here. I think [name_u]Moon[/name_u] is silly, though.

1 Like

I was asking for thoughts on the backup lists and how people felt about them for me. [name_f]My[/name_f] primary lists are pretty set, but thanks :slight_smile:

Your list is lovely, [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]!

Here are my thoughts…
[name_f]Anouk[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], and I especially love her for you! She’s [name_u]French[/name_u] chic but easily pronounced in [name_f]English[/name_f] (like [name_u]Romy[/name_u] and Sylvie) Fits right in with your list, as well as being a lovely and cozy name.
[name_f]Colette[/name_f] - I really like [name_f]Colette[/name_f] - dainty, pretty, nickname rich. [name_u]French[/name_u], too! I wouldn’t worry about pronunciation at all. I grew up with a girl called [name_f]Colette[/name_f] (we called her Coco!) and ‘cuh-let’ was rarely an issue, and even if it was, it’s super easily corrected! I say she should have a spot on your primary list :wink:
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - She goes very well stylistically with your list! Personally I’m not the biggest fan of the ‘gret’ sound but I do love her for you.
[name_f]Frida[/name_f] - I like [name_f]Frida[/name_f] for you! [name_f]Frida[/name_f] [name_u]Kahlo[/name_u] is a nice association, too. I feel like [name_f]Freda[/name_f] or even [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] would go better with the other names in your primary list, but that isn’t a big thing to worry about.
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] - I associate [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] with you! She feels very ‘futuremama’ to me, I’m not sure why! This name holds a special place in my heart because it was almost the name of my sister.
[name_f]Marianne[/name_f] - [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] is classic and lovely. I feel she is stylistically different to your primary list as a whole, but like I said before, not a big deal.
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] - She fits right in with your style - I love her for you!
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] - I personally am not a big fan of [name_f]Iris[/name_f] - I can’t get over the part of the eye :face_with_peeking_eye: But I do feel like she would be nice for you - she feels in sync with your names like [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f].
[name_f]Twyla[/name_f] - I really like [name_f]Twyla[/name_f]! So underrated. I’d love to see her on somebody’s list!
[name_f]Thomasin[/name_f] - Same as [name_f]Twyla[/name_f]! I’ve really been appreciating her lately.
[name_f]Branwen[/name_f] - Totally underrated! I like [name_f]Branwen[/name_f] a lot. She does feel a little unexpected with your primary list, imo!
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] her for you! She is totally your style. She’s not for me (the wheeze sound throws me off a bit), but she goes so well with your vibe.

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] - I love seeing [name_u]Ari[/name_u] on people’s lists! He’s underrated and sweet.
[name_u]July[/name_u] - He feels a little unexpected with your list, but I am coming around to him! I can’t imagine [name_u]July[/name_u] on a boy, so that throws me off a bit.
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u] - [name_u]Merritt[/name_u] is lovely! I have to say that I much prefer the [name_u]Merit[/name_u] spelling and I think he goes better with your style. Spellings aside, I love this name and I love the sentiment!
[name_u]Auden[/name_u] - Looove, especially for you! He’s cuddly, cozy and the nickname [name_u]Audie[/name_u] is melting me! [name_u]Auden[/name_u] is subtly vintage, like a lot of names on your list. Maybe you’ll like [name_u]Austen[/name_u] as well? I love him and I feel like you would too!
[name_u]Alder[/name_u] - [name_u]Alder[/name_u] fits very well with your vibe - brings out the ‘nature’ in [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Eden[/name_u]!
[name_u]Eliot[/name_u] - I really like [name_u]Eliot[/name_u]! Personally I would go for [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] or [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] because that spelling is more known, but a lovely name that goes well with your style nonetheless.
[name_u]Pasha[/name_u] - This one is great for you! Feels soft and cuddly like a teddy bear!
[name_u]Bryn[/name_u] - I’ve never really considered [name_u]Bryn[/name_u], but I do quite like it. He doesn’t feel out of place with your style, too!
[name_u]Ozzie[/name_u] - [name_u]Ozzie[/name_u] is super cute and funky! I think [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] ‘Ozzie’ would be a better fit for you, but [name_u]Ozzie[/name_u] doesn’t feel odd.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

1 Like

I like these lists!

Your girls have that slightly quirky, slight eclectic, kind of international of your main list!

[name_f]Anouk[/name_f] - snappy and stylish and distinctive
[name_f]Colette[/name_f] - I’d pronounce it the way you don’t like :grin: but it does feel stylish and sleek
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - international. strong and distinctive
[name_f]Frida[/name_f] - arty and international, strong but bright
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] - frilly but not fussy, intriguing and fashionable, cool nicknames too (Otter, Otti, [name_f]Tillie[/name_f], [name_m]Otto[/name_m], Lottie)
[name_f]Marianne[/name_f] - elegant and strong willed

For the final name, I most enjoy:
[name_f]Branwen[/name_f] - distinctive, witchy and interesting - gives me the vibes of [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] and [name_u]Moon[/name_u]
[name_f]Twyla[/name_f] - vintage and unexpected, gives me the feel of [name_u]Cleo[/name_u], [name_u]Romy[/name_u], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] - vintage and charming, with the feel of [name_f]Maude[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] - light and sweet but rugged too - love how short it is
[name_u]July[/name_u] - unexpected and distinctive, but familiar too - like the quirky-coolness
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u] - love this - warm, surname-y and snappy
[name_u]Auden[/name_u] - poetic and charming
[name_u]Alder[/name_u] - I prefer [name_u]Auden[/name_u] to this - and since they have a similar meaning, I’d find something else in place of this? Something more international? [name_m]Abel[/name_m], [name_m]Ansel[/name_m], [name_u]Axel[/name_u]? [name_m]Nestor[/name_m], [name_u]Mika[/name_u], [name_m]Kasper[/name_m]? [name_m]Baxter[/name_m]?
[name_u]Eliot[/name_u] - literary and gentle but refined too
[name_u]Pasha[/name_u] - love [name_u]Pasha[/name_u]! It’s got style and spark but softness too
[name_u]Bryn[/name_u] - yay, [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] for a boy - love this
[name_u]Ozzie[/name_u] - charming and relaxed - it fits the vibe of [name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_u]July[/name_u], [name_u]Pasha[/name_u], [name_m]Bram[/name_m] and [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]

1 Like

Sorry, misread this.

I don’t really like [name_f]Anouk[/name_f]. It feels heavy, hulking.

[name_f]Colette[/name_f] is wonderful. Very glossy, elegant, a bit coquettish. I like the association with Sidonie-Gabrielle [name_f]Colette[/name_f].

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] is nice in a slightly gritty, chain-smoking, Old Hollywood way. I think of [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Garbo[/name_f].

[name_f]Frida[/name_f] is strident, bold, energetic. I mainly think of [name_f]Frida[/name_f] [name_u]Kahlo[/name_u].

[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] sounds too much like utterly in my accent when using the [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciation. The original, “correct” [name_m]German[/name_m] aw-TEEL-yə has never appealed. But it has a certain swan-like grace, it reminds me of [name_f]Odette[/name_f] and [name_f]Odile[/name_f].

[name_f]Marianne[/name_f] is very serene and appealing. Makes me think of So [name_m]Long[/name_m], [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] by [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] [name_u]Cohen[/name_u], one of my favourite songs of all time.

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is cool in a chic [name_u]French[/name_u] way. [name_u]Red[/name_u] lipstick and red wine.

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] is very artistic, appealing, elegant. She’s a free soul, with sparkling earrings and paint splattered on her hands.

[name_f]Twyla[/name_f] feels [name_u]Southern[/name_u] and twangy.

[name_f]Thomasin[/name_f] is very staid, sensible, a bit morbid as it makes me think of [name_f]Anya[/name_f] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] Joy’s character in The Witch. I like it well enough, though I prefer the more compact and Cornish [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f].

[name_f]Branwen[/name_f] isn’t my cup of tea sound-wise, but I love the history behind it.

Never liked [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - the “wheeze” sound doesn’t appeal - but I love the association with [name_f]Héloïse[/name_f] and Abélard.

Really love [name_u]Ari[/name_u], on its own and as a nickname for [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], [name_m]Aristotle[/name_m], [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] for a girl, and so forth. Relaxed, but strong.

[name_u]July[/name_u] feels a bit odd. I’m not used to it. I like the similar [name_u]Julian[/name_u].

[name_u]Merritt[/name_u] is friendly, though I prefer the more compact look of [name_u]Merit[/name_u].

I like [name_u]Auden[/name_u] a lot, even though I usually dislike surname names. WH [name_u]Auden[/name_u] is one of my all-time favourite poets.

[name_u]Alder[/name_u] is close to elder, elderly.

[name_u]Eliot[/name_u] is my favourite spelling - sleek, elegant, literary.

[name_u]Pasha[/name_u], in Russian, would only be used as a nickname, and in my native language, it sounds identical to the word for fodder. Also, [name_u]Pasha[/name_u] as an Ottoman title has some unpleasant associations.

Don’t much like [name_u]Bryn[/name_u].

[name_u]Ozzie[/name_u] sounds very childish. [name_m]Ozias[/name_m] (or [name_m]Ozymandias[/name_m], for the valiant) would be sooo cool.

[name_f]Anouk[/name_f] - I’m afraid I’m not a huge fan; she just feels a bit hulking and clunky? I do know a very cute tiny one though so I feel a bit fond of her for that reason!
[name_f]Colette[/name_f] - I love the sweet [name_u]French[/name_u] vibe and the reference to the writer, but I do think the ‘Cole’ pronunciation might be a little hard to enforce!
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - I like this one! The sound itself a little harsh (I do think a tiny bit of gravel?) but I love the fun simple vintage feel, not to mention the wonderful [name_f]Greta[/name_f] Gerwig. I’d be so excited to meet a baby [name_f]Greta[/name_f]!
[name_f]Frida[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u], love, love. Gentle sound, familiar but pronounceable, two great namesakes - [name_f]Frida[/name_f] [name_u]Kahlo[/name_u] and my cousin [name_f]Frida[/name_f] (I know you haven’t met her but trust me she’s awesome).
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] - This is one I used to love and went off slightly (I know so many tiny ones, although maybe that’s different where you are!) but I absolutely adore the nn Oti, just so precious.
[name_f]Marianne[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite, for no other reason than Sense and Sensibility; so gentle and romantic - she’d be very high up on my own list if my name were not [name_f]Mary[/name_f]!
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] / [name_f]Iris[/name_f] / [name_f]Twyla[/name_f] / [name_f]Thomasin[/name_f] / Bran-wen / [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - I’m a big fan of all of these but [name_f]Margot[/name_f]! [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are on my list, but [name_f]Twyla[/name_f], [name_f]Thomasin[/name_f] and [name_f]Branwen[/name_f] are so fun and unexpected.

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] - lovely! Unexpected, bright and strong.
[name_u]July[/name_u] - I’d enjoy this as a nn for [name_u]Julian[/name_u], but I’d need a lot of time to get used to him on his own.
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u] - I love this one; unexpected but not totally out there, and incredibly strong and dashing! One of my favourites.
[name_u]Auden[/name_u] - This is a difficult one because WH [name_u]Auden[/name_u] is my favourite poet but I just don’t enjoy the sound. I would definitely use in the middle spot!
[name_u]Alder[/name_u] - [name_f]Lovely[/name_f], I would just worry about the pronunciation being confused with ‘older’.
[name_u]Eliot[/name_u] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Eliot[/name_u]! Tied with [name_u]Merritt[/name_u], probably my favourite on this list - so sleek, streamlined and strong.
[name_u]Pasha[/name_u] - Lovely; soft and sparkly. I know a couple of female Pashas so I do struggle slightly to imagine on a guy?
[name_u]Bryn[/name_u] - Short and sweet, but somehow less… special?… than the other names on yours lists. Probably one I prefer on a girl.
[name_u]Ozzie[/name_u] - personally wouldn’t use him on his own, but I adore as a nn for [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]!
[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are [name_f]Frida[/name_f], [name_f]Marianne[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_u]Merritt[/name_u] and [name_u]Eliot[/name_u] :blush: would you mind if I made a similar post??