Thoughts on my guilty pleasures

These names are too old, too out-there or just awkward, but I love them! I want to hear your opinions too.

Too old:
Amalie
[name_f]Josepha[/name_f]
[name_f]Albertine[/name_f]
[name_u]Joyce[/name_u]
[name_f]Muriel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ethelinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]

Too out-there:
[name_f]Emeraude[/name_f]
[name_f]Apolline[/name_f]
[name_f]Grete[/name_f] (pronounced same with [name_f]Greta[/name_f])
Nare (nuh-reh “e” as in pet)
Alin
[name_f]Eszter[/name_f]

Out-there and old:
Aliye (prononced like Aaliyah but ending in -eh sound (as in pet))
Süreyya

(These two are considered as “too old” in :tr:)

TIA!

Muriel I like because it reminds me of Miss [name_u]Stacey[/name_u] from Anne of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables, though I don’t think it’s quite ready for revival yet. [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] is stunning!

2 Likes

I don’t think [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] is too old! I love it.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Muriel[/name_f]! What do you think about [name_f]Meriel[/name_f]? I think [name_f]Emeraude[/name_f] and [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] are usable. I like Aliye and Sureyya a lot! I think it would be hard for Americans to know how to pronounce but once said it would understandable.

1 Like

I also love it because of Miss [name_u]Stacey[/name_u]!

That’s not a big problem for me, I live in Turkey :wink: [name_f]Meriel[/name_f] is so nice!

2 Likes

Wasn’t sure I thought I’d offer the input since that’s where I’m from. I’m glad you like [name_f]Meriel[/name_f].

1 Like

Fellow Turkish [name_u]Berry[/name_u]! Merhaba! :grin:

In this day and age where old names are making a comeback, I really don’t think you’d have a problem with old names.

As for your too out there names, I dont think they are out there at all! And [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] is a favorite of mine too!

And… I can see what you did with the Turkish names​:grin::grin: Sefirin Kızı, İstanbullu Gelin and Aliye? I think Süreyya is a gorgeous name, and so is Nare but due to its recent popularity, I’m pretty sure that there will be tons of Nare’s in the next 5 years (As well as Nefes’s, you know that serie :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:) I dont like Aliye though… It just seems like you are trying to say “[name_u]Ali[/name_u]'ye” as in, “Kitabı [name_u]Ali[/name_u]'ye ver”, I just cannot shake that off!

Over all, all the names are great, with one exception😁

3 Likes

:grin::grin::grin: I confess Nare is from the serie, but I heard Aliye on Halikarnas Balıkçısı’s daughter (his name look awkward in an english sentence) and Süreyya on Süreyya Ülkü Güler.

[name_f]Sen[/name_f] anlat karadeniz ruined my dreams of having a little Nefes :frowning_face: And yes, Nare will probably be like Nefes.

Wow, I never thought of that :thinking: Good point!
Actually I was worrying about the “aliyy” association, which is a term in Islam (but my family is [name_u]Christian[/name_u]) (bunu meb’in din kitabında gördükten sonra fark ettim, ama çok sıkıntı olacağını sanmıyorum. Ve bu cümleyi ingilizceye nasıl çevireceğimi bilmiyorum :joy:)

Thank you :heart::heart:

2 Likes

Too old:
Josepha
I admit i find it a tad awkward but thinking on it, it’s kind of growing on me. [name_f]Josepha[/name_f] is kind of funky.

Albertine
Quirky and cute. It’s clunky in a good way

Joyce
I find it a tiny bit harsh if I’m honest

Muriel
There’s something almost quaint and cosy about it

Lorraine
I like the potential nn [name_f]Lainey[/name_f] and it does have it’s appeal but like [name_u]Joyce[/name_u], it’s a little harsh for my taste

Ethelinda
Clunky but kind of cool! It’s big and bulky yet also light and cute

Ethel
I kind of like it. There’s a pleasing softness to it

Too out-there:
Emeraude
This is gorgeous! I love the sounds and the slightly mysterious vibe

Apolline
This is dashing and delightful

Grete (pronounced same with [Greta
(https://nameberry.com/babyname/Greta))
I think this is only out there because of the spelling.otherwise it feels usable and cool! And it has a good name sake

Nare (nuh-reh “e” as in p e t)
Kind of cool. I like the similar [name_m]Naren[/name_m] too

Alin
I find it a tad awkward yet i can see the appeal too

Eszter
[name_m]How[/name_m] is this pronounced? Is the t silent like in [name_f]Tzipporah[/name_f]?

Out-there and old:
Aliye (prononced like [name_f]Aaliyah[/name_f] but ending in -eh sound (as in p e t))
I like this! I don’t think it’s too out there, and i like the look and sounds

Süreyya
Is this pn Suh-ray-uh, Suh-rye-uh or another way?, i quite like both of those options :),

1 Like

Sounds closer to Suh-ray-uh. I’m glad you like it!

Same with [name_f]Ester[/name_f] :blush:

My favorites from this list, which I think are completely usable:

Joyce
[name_f]Muriel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]
[name_f]Emeraude[/name_f]
[name_f]Apolline[/name_f]

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know! I enjoy the sounds:)

Nice! I like it too

1 Like

Joyce actually sounds fresh to me! [name_f]Grete[/name_f] isn’t out there at all, and [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] is worth it!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]! I know a girl at my school named [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Apolline[/name_f]! I definitely think it’s usable

1 Like

I like [name_f]Muriel[/name_f] and think it’s usable. You could call her Muri/Murray for short.

1 Like

[name_u]Joyce[/name_u] sounds “really young” in my ears, actually :grin:. I adore [name_f]Muriel[/name_f], [name_f]Apolline[/name_f], [name_f]Grete[/name_f], Alin and [name_f]Emeraude[/name_f]. I think all of these are usable, if you really love them.
Nare makes me think about Nazaré/Nazareth, which I think it is a gorgeous underused gem.
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f], [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f], [name_f]Eszter[/name_f] and Süreyya are nice too.

1 Like

The only one I really like is [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]. The others sound too out there or too old

1 Like

I forgot to add [name_f]Amalie[/name_f] :neutral_face:

1 Like

Amalie is sweet and beautiful too! Very usable nowadays.

2 Likes