Thoughts on my list of Jewish girls names

Hello!

After lurking on this site regularly since I was a teenager, I’m finally pregnant! [name_f]My[/name_f] partner and I are religious conservative Jews based in the UK and want to give our children Jewish names. I’m really keen for feedback on our list of girls names.

[The formula that I am using is]

• Traditional Hebrew/Yiddish first name with cool nickname options

• Old-fashioned middle name that isn’t explicitly “Jewish” but was popular among Jews in our families in previous generations (giving us more opportunity to honour family in line with Ashkenazi tradition)

• Hebrew name that corresponds

[The list]

• [name_f]Golda[/name_f] “Goldie” [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] – “Goldie” – with Hebrew name [name_f]Golda[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

• [name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] – “Zip, [name_f]Zippy[/name_f], [name_u]Pip[/name_u], Birdie” – with Hebrew name [name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] Faygel

• [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] – “Zeldie, Zelly” – with Hebrew name [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Raizel[/name_f]

[Also]

• I sometimes think that I prefer [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] as a first name on its own, but my partner prefers [name_f]Golda[/name_f] with [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] as a nickname.

• Our top choice for a boy is [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] “Sol” [name_m]Harvey[/name_m] (Shlomo Avraham), followed by [name_m]Eliezer[/name_m] “Lazer” [name_u]George[/name_u] (Eliezer Gefen).

Thank you!

4 Likes

Congratulations!!

I love your choices ! [name_f]Golda[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is so sweet !! I love [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] and [name_u]Sol[/name_u] as a sib set

1 Like

[name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] is gorgeous!

1 Like

[name_f]Golda[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is beautiful!!! I like how [name_f]Golda[/name_f] gives you the option of both [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] and Golda!!

[name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] is bubbly and lovely! I like it. [name_f]Zippy[/name_f] is sweet.

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is solid and stylish.

I think [name_f]Golda[/name_f] is my fave

1 Like

Mazel [name_m]Tov[/name_m]!

Honestly this is exactly how I felt when it came to naming my daughter after being someone who has been addicted to names since my teens finally having the opportunity to name a baby felt like my time to shine. I followed the Ashkenazi tradition when it came to naming my daughter and I think makes her name that more meaningful. Your list is perfection :white_heart:

[name_f]Golda[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] ~ oh the delightful [name_f]Golda[/name_f] honestly she’s magical such a cool vintage name she’s has the lovely meaning ‘gold’ and I really like the nickname [name_f]Goldie[/name_f]. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is beautiful with [name_f]Golda[/name_f]. She’s lovely.

[name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] ~ I think [name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] is pretty she is zippy spunky name with tons of history. I love the range of nicknames as well. I’m not overly keen on [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] in the middle name just because it’s the double meaning of bird. I would prefer [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]. She has ie ending and in my eyes an old school Jewish feel. I think she works well with [name_f]Tzipora[/name_f].

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] ~ I love [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] she’s so romantic with this jazzy vibe really fun choice. Honestly [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] feels very fashion forward and cool. I love her with [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. The overall name is gorgeous.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_f]Golda[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] ‘Goldie’ followed by [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f].

Also concerning your boys I absolutely love [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_m]Harvey[/name_m].

Good luck with everything :dove:

1 Like

Thank you so, so much! I think [name_f]Golda[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is definitely our top choice, I’m glad the response here has been positive as I was worried I was being too out there.

Totally get you with [name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]. We know a fair few people who have double-meaning names like [name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] Faygel, [name_f]Shoshana[/name_f] [name_f]Raizel[/name_f], [name_m]Dov[/name_m] Ber, etc. But I actually really love Sadie… so will definitely be discussing it with my partner!

Eeeeeee this is all such nice feedback thank you. I worked very hard on these names!

1 Like

What about the nickname Zora for Tzipora?

As far as pairing your boys names with the girls ones I like Solomon with Golda or Zelda, and Tzipora with Eliezar. The vibes of those seem to match.

1 Like

[name_f]Golda[/name_f] is beautiful! I love [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] too. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughers name is [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and we love calling her Zelly Belly!
Im just not as familiar with the other name.
I think they are all beautiful :heart_eyes:

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! Jewish here too. I love [name_f]Golda[/name_f] and [name_f]Tzipora[/name_f]. [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] is nice too. I’m just not a huge fan of [name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], feels more obvious than naming a kid [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (meaning-wise). I think [name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] would be a good alternative.

I also agree with your partner that [name_f]Golda[/name_f] is better as a full name than [name_f]Goldie[/name_f]. And I love [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] and [name_m]Eliezer[/name_m] although I’ve never been a [name_m]Shlomo[/name_m] fan. I think if it were me I’d use [name_u]Shalom[/name_u] or [name_u]Simcha[/name_u] as a Hebrew name for [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] instead :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

mazel tov! i love golda pearl for you; goldie is such a sweet nickname and golda is so underrated. also, i love your username!

1 Like

Mazel tov!

Your name choices are terrific. I especially love [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] and Tzippi! [name_m]Solly[/name_m] – I was just talking to someone about hoping that [name_m]Solly[/name_m] would make a comeback.

Throwing out:

[name_m]Meir[/name_m] [name_u]Simcha[/name_u] and [name_f]Fay[/name_f] [name_u]Michal[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_u]Ronit[/name_u] [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]

1 Like

(ro-NEET)

1 Like

Congratulations :orange_heart: I think your list is lovely - the names all have this warmth to them.

[name_f]Golda[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] ~ [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] vintage-y feeling, and very cohesive sounding and balanced name. I see why your partner prefers [name_f]Golda[/name_f] as a full name, but [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] feels younger and prettier to me, hence it’s a great nickname option.

[name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] ~ [name_f]Tzipora[/name_f] is one of my absolute favourites, so this combo really stands out to me. Faygel is also lovely for her Hebrew name. I love it with the nickname [name_u]Pip[/name_u].

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] ~ Maybe my favourite of your list. It gives me a note of glamour and beauty, but also immense strength and zealousness.

[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_m]Harvey[/name_m] ~ [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the nickname [name_u]Sol[/name_u]. I also know of a [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] who goes by [name_u]Monty[/name_u], but idk if that’s your style.

[name_m]Eliezer[/name_m] [name_u]George[/name_u] ~ What a fun nickname! Could definitely see a little boy loving that. I feel the combo flows well.

1 Like

Mazel [name_m]Tov[/name_m]! I love your naming formula. [name_f]My[/name_f] thoughts are:
-it’s hard for me to get past the old-lady association of [name_f]Golda[/name_f] [name_m]Meier[/name_m], but [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] is sweet
-I don’t love [name_f]Zippy[/name_f] as a nickname, but that’s just personal preference
-I love [name_f]Zelie[/name_f] (zay-lee) as a nickname for [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
-what about [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Shoshana[/name_f] for her Hebrew name, since that means [name_f]Rose[/name_f]?
-LOVE [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] nn [name_u]Sol[/name_u] for a boy!