Thoughts on my List

Hello, I’ve recently updated my list and wanted to know your guy’s thoughts on it. I’m also open to any and all suggestions! I’m into older names that are [name_u]Unique[/name_u], but not too “out there” The names are simply in alphabetical order.

Bridgid
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]
[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]”
[name_f]Estella[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]”
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]

*I’ve noticed that about most of these were on the top 1000 in the 1920s

Bridgid - a nice name, I prefer the [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] spelling
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] - I like it!!
[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]” - not really my style but I don’t hate it
[name_f]Estella[/name_f] - I like it!!
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] - really unusual - I like the sing-songy quality it has
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] - I like it! It’s spunky but still a solid classic
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - I like it!
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f] - not a big fan, I prefer [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - it sounds pretty but I don’t like how it’s associated with evilness. I prefer [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and other variants
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]” - [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is so pretty! I love the nickname [name_f]Nola[/name_f] for it
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] - a solid classic!
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - used to be one of my faves! i love it
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - i used to dislike this name but it’s growing on me, i like how it’s a solid biblical classic, as well as a hidden virtue name

Brigid- not a fan of [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], rigid stands out to me right away. I do like [name_f]Brigitte[/name_f]/[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]. Maybe you would like [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]?
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]- sweet, lacey, girly. Not a personal favorite. [name_f]Colette[/name_f], CosimaCora
[name_f]Embeth[/name_f]"[name_f]Beth[/name_f]"- I don’t care for [name_f]Embeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Beth[/name_f]. [name_f]Embeth[/name_f] sounds like a made up squish name. [name_u]Ember[/name_u], [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Estella[/name_f]- I really like this one!
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]- Beautiful and lilting
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]- nice choices. Strong, warm, rustic, friendly, and down to earth.
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f]- dislike. Much prefer [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], I just do not like this name pronounced with [name_u]Jean[/name_u] at the end. [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], [name_f]Imelda[/name_f], [name_f]Ismay[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]- pretty
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
"[name_f]Nola[/name_f]"- seems a little trendy and over played to me at the moment. Not a fan of [name_f]Nola[/name_f]. [name_f]Margaux[/name_f], [name_f]Maxine[/name_f], [name_f]Marcella[/name_f], [name_f]Ornella[/name_f], [name_f]Fenella[/name_f], [name_f]Noellia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]- A little dated but I still love it!
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]- love it. Maybe you would like another fave of mine; [name_f]Rosalba[/name_f].
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]- a little plain but sweet and solid. I think it’s a good alternative to [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], etc. Has a nice homespun vibe. Maybe you would like [name_f]Rita[/name_f].

Bridgid - Reminds me too much of Frigid. I’d much prefer something like [name_f]Bridgette[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] - There is a castle on a cloooooud~ Solid name, not a personal choice but I’m not mad at it
[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]” - Sounds like Embed or Embezzle, neither I have a positive association with
[name_f]Estella[/name_f] - A classic that still sounds modern, and better than the several [name_f]Stella[/name_f]'s I have in my swim classes
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] - Oo-lay-lea I’m guessing? Tbh, if corrections are constantly needed, then it’s too much of a name
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - Not negative, but I’ve had a cat and a chicken named this, so I’d personally dodge away
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f] - Played a character name [name_f]Imogene[/name_f] in drama club, a bit too country for my taste
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - Very pretty, but the biblical story scares me from using it
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]” - I’m okay with it, I’d just prefer other M names that are similar. It’s a bit too popular on nameberry
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] - I’ve known a couple [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]/[name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]'s, popular enough to be understood, rare enough to be enjoyed. It’s like the name [name_f]Paige[/name_f].
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - Shakespearian name, but an uncommon Shakespearian name. I like it.
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - I can’t disassociate this name with [name_f]Babe[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], so I’d pass on this one.

Bridgid - the eccentric 25 year old marine biology professor too adorable to feel right about crushing on. names all the specimen cutesy names.

[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] - owns a pink faux fur corkboard and a phone that looks like a rotary phone but actually has buttons. wears prescriptionless glasses.

[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] - this is where [name_u]Whitney[/name_u] [name_m]Houston[/name_m] said she was right before she died.

[name_f]Estella[/name_f] - she’s gonna bring scrunchies back. she swears it.

[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] - instead of ever pronouncing this, i would whip a kazoo out and blow it out instead, just in case I was wrong.

[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] - loves succulents and is kinda artsy. takes a lot of natural lighting selfies and grossly overuses the big round fake glasses instagram filter.

[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - makes a killer friendship bracelet and often chooses to sit on the floor in less than appropriate situations.

[name_f]Imogene[/name_f] - works at a vintage clothing store. during her breaks, she stands outside in her doc martens and overall shorts and eats yogurt with granola in it.

[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - smokes her parents weed in the living room. dyed her hair green-- on purpose.

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]” - collects charcoal rubbings of really old gravestones and pressed flowers. owns socks with lace on the edges.

[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] - reminds the teacher that the class had homework. hardcore into horses.

[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - lesbian mother of 3 dogs. athletic.

[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - her closet is full of jean skirts and her hair feels like hay.

I love [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]! I like [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] over Bridgid. Ice always liked [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] as well.

Bridgid --rhymes with frigid is all I can think
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] – yes! + nickname is [name_f]Coco[/name_f]
[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]” --meh
[name_f]Estella[/name_f] – not bad
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] --pronunciation is confusing to me, but maybe it’s clear to you
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] – cute
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f] --cute. I prefer this spelling
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] --not bad
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]” --cute
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] --feels outdated + not in a cute vintage way
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] – love
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] – not bad

Bridgid: not really a fan of [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] or its variations, they sound so harsh to me. The only one I do like is [name_f]Birgitta[/name_f].

[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]: I adore it, such a lovely name.

[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]”: never heard of this one before, it sounds a bit strange. Reminds of the word embedded. I like the nickname [name_f]Beth[/name_f] though.

[name_f]Estella[/name_f]: this one reminds me of an old lady. I like [name_f]Stella[/name_f] better.

[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]: not bad, but how about [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] or [name_f]Eufemia[/name_f]?

[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]:I love [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] is also nice. [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] would be a great nickname.

[name_f]Imogene[/name_f]: Not sure about this spelling. Also, I’ve never been sure about [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], sometimes I like it, sometimes it seems dated. I can’t decide.

[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]: I don’t really like the sound, I prefer [name_f]Judith[/name_f] or [name_f]Edith[/name_f]. But not a bad name. I’d avoid the nickname [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]”: love it! Great name with a lovely nickname.

[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]: not bad, a bit boring to be honest.

[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]: nice name, but definitely not my favourite “rose” name. I’d go with nickname [name_f]Lindy[/name_f].

[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]: I hate the name, but I think it’s mainly because I was bullied in school by a girl named [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]. Nothing wrong with it, maybe a little boring compared to the other names on your list.

Bridgid - This isn’t my favorite spelling but it’s a nice name! I like the nicknames.
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] - As a [name_u]Les[/name_u] Mis fan I love [name_f]Cosette[/name_f] and its sound!
[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]” - I like [name_f]Embeth[/name_f], it has a southern belle vibe, but nickname [name_f]Beth[/name_f] feels very dated.
[name_f]Estella[/name_f] - This one is in my sugnature! I adore [name_f]Estella[/name_f], it’s classy and unique.
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] - [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] feels fresher but both names have a very pleasant sound.
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - Slightly prefer [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] but both are incredibly attractive and come with the cutest nicknames!
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f] - I feel like this would get misspelled as [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] a lot, but it’s nice.
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - [name_f]Lili[/name_f]- names feel overused to me, but this is my favorite one!
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]” - Sweet, vintage and spunky! I prefer [name_f]Nolie[/name_f] or [name_f]Nolia[/name_f] but [name_f]Nola[/name_f]'s good too.
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] - Feels dated and kind of basic.
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - Beautiful! A very underused [name_f]Rose[/name_f]- name.
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - I like this a lot, but as a middle name.

I like [name_f]Cosette[/name_f] the best. Maybe bc i love the name [name_f]Collette[/name_f].

Other 1920 names:

[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]/Rosely
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]
[name_f]Annaleigh[/name_f] (my great grandmothers name) Annaley/[name_f]Annalee[/name_f]/[name_f]Annalie[/name_f]

Bridgid - really smart name, prefer [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] and [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] - too melancholic for me
[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]” - I hear, ‘um, [name_f]Beth[/name_f]’
[name_f]Estella[/name_f] - grand, beautiful
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] - like it the more I hear it but too much L for me to ever use
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - old school, confident, like them both
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f] - one of my top 20 but prefer [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Immy[/name_f]!)
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - romantic and strong
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]”- only good in an upper crust English accent
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] - time for a come back! I just don’t like [name_f]Becky[/name_f].
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - such an elegant name, but I don’t like [name_f]Ros[/name_f]; too stuffy and annoying
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - name for someone lovely, if neurotic

(Can’t beat @papaya’s read!)

Bridgid - good name, but I preger [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] - I love this name and the nickname Cosie, but it reminds me of corset
[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]” - interesting name, but the nickname [name_f]Beth[/name_f] is boring
[name_f]Estella[/name_f] - why not just [name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] - sounds strange
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/I know too many chicken called [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f] - [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is nice
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - not a fan at all
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]” - pretty name
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] - love the nickname [name_f]Becky[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - too sweet for my taste
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - lovely name

Bridgid - Neutral
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] - Yes
[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]” - No
[name_f]Estella[/name_f] - Yes
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] - Neutral
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] Yes, [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] No.
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f] - No
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - Yes
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]” - Yes
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] - Yes
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - Yes
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - Yes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Cosette[/name_f]…the others are just “meh” to me…

I quite like [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Embeth[/name_f], and [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], in that order of preference.

Bridgid - I like it, but prefer the [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] spelling
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] - Not a fan of names that end in ette.
[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]” - Like it, but it’s a bit of a smush name. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]?
[name_f]Estella[/name_f] - Where I grew up [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is a common “old lady” name and not in a good way.
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] - Unnecessarily frilly.
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - Seems to becoming “trendy”.
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it, but too many folks still mispronounce it.
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - Feminist fav.
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]” - Frilly, but very pretty.
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] - Classic. No fail choice.
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - Growing on me.
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - Classic, yet has always felt a bit sparse to me. It seems somehow to be lacking… fun?

I really love [name_f]Embeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], and [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] is also amazing :slight_smile:

I’m not really a fan of Bridgid/[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]/[name_f]Brigid[/name_f], and spelling it Bridgid will lead to a lot of pronunciation and spelling issues.

[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] is sweet and dainty, but doesn’t have a whole lot of spark for me. Maybe you’d also like [name_f]Colette[/name_f] and [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] which sound similar?

[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] is a bit awkward as a smoosh, and sounds more like a nickname that’s a contraction of an [name_f]Em[/name_f]- name with [name_f]Beth[/name_f] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] like [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Beth[/name_f] or [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], than a full name. [name_f]Beth[/name_f] feels a bit middle-aged to me, but there’s also the [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women reference which is nice.

[name_f]Estella[/name_f] feels grand and glamorous, a bit stiff and old-fashioned, but is definitely wearable. I like how it’s a fresh take on the more popular [name_f]Stella[/name_f], but with accessible common nicknames like [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and [name_f]Stella[/name_f] if she wants a name that blends in more.

[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] is rather clunky to me, and would also be really hard for people to spell and pronounce correctly. I love [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] though, it has the same dramatic and storied feel but softer somehow.

[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] feels more wearable than [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] to me, partly because it’s not as long (probably less likely to be shortened too) and because it’s seen more use in recent decades, but still unusual enough to be distinctive.

[name_f]Imogene[/name_f] sounds like a mispronunciation of [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] to me. I love [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] though, I picture a spunky, confident and witty girl who knows her own mind but gets on well with everyone.

[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] hits a nice sweet spot of being on trend but barely used. The “ith” sound is quite distinctive so it does stand out amongst the [name_f]Lily[/name_f] names to me.

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is a really pretty name, I like how frilly and girly it is. It feels southern, with the whole magnolia trees and [name_u]Steel[/name_u] Magnolias image. [name_f]Nola[/name_f] sounds rather harsh and cold to me though.

[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] isn’t particularly exciting, but it’s classic, solid and dependable. She sounds like the kind of girl who’d always be there for you with good advice and a shoulder to cry on when you need it.

[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] feels fanciful, romantic and free-spirited. I imagine a girl with long, wavy blonde hair in a historical movie, galloping across the fields on her horse in a long fancy gown. (Like a blonde [name_f]Belle[/name_f] from Beauty and the Beast) And I love the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] reference, [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is such a fun and clever character.

[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] feels both classic and vintage and modern at the same time, maybe because it’s often mentioned on Nameberry as vintage-chic and it’s in a lot of old novels, but I’ve also known a few girls around my age in real life named [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]- it gets a fair bit of use in the [name_m]Christian[/name_m] community! I would assume a [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] was [name_m]Christian[/name_m] though just because most of the ones I’ve known have been, not that it’s unusable for anyone who isn’t.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Cosette[/name_f] and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]!

Bridgid- I like it, but not as much as I do [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]/[name_f]Bridgette[/name_f].
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]- It’s cute and romantic, albeit not my style.
[name_f]Embeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]”- I like [name_f]Embeth[/name_f]. I’m not sure how usable it would be, but I think it’s so interesting. Personally I’m not keen on the name [name_f]Beth[/name_f] itself.
[name_f]Estella[/name_f]- [name_f]Estella[/name_f] is beautiful, and I love [name_f]Essie[/name_f] and [name_f]Stella[/name_f] as possible nicknames.
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]- [name_u]LOVE[/name_u]. I think I slightly prefer [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] and simple [name_f]Eula[/name_f], but [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] is gorgeous.
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]- [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] is really lovely and classic. I like [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] as well.
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f]- Probably my least favorite. [name_f]Imogene[/name_f] (and just [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]) both feel very clunky to me, and not in a good way.
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]- I think [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is beautiful and understated.
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]”- I love [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], and [name_f]Nola[/name_f] even more.
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]- It’s pretty and classic, but I grew up with a lot of Rebeccas and Rebekahs, so it feels slightly overused.
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]- Very pretty.
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]- A favorite family name of mine, especially as a middle name.

Overall I love your list! Vintage names are some of my favorites as well :slight_smile: