Thoughts on my new list

Still have about 30 weeks to obsess about this, but here’s our new long list. We generally like somewhat unusual (lower than top 100 or so) to very unusual first names paired with more traditional names or family names for middles.

[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Florence[/name] ([name]Mimi[/name])
[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] ([name]Mimi[/name])
[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] ([name]Mimi[/name])
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Zinnia[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Zinnia[/name] [name]Florence[/name]

///////////////////////////

[name]Arlo[/name] [name]Foster[/name] (family name)
[name]August[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Winfield[/name] (family name)
[name]August[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Abel[/name] [name]Winfield[/name] ([name]Abe[/name])
[name]Everett[/name] [name]Julian[/name]
[name]Felix[/name] [name]Julian[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Julius[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]

What a great list!
My very favorites- i like all of them!
[name]Felix[/name] [name]Julian[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Florence[/name]- love [name]Mimi[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Florence[/name]

[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Florence[/name] and [name]August[/name] [name]Winifred[/name] (although I usually associate it as a girl’s name, I [name]LOVE[/name] it for a boy!)

Thank you for your replies! I have a pretty strong feeling I’m having a boy, so I’m having the most trouble with boy names.

DH and I had been set on [name]August[/name] for awhile, but now I’m having second thoughts. I think I’ve finally decided that I don’t care about the month thing (we know kids named [name]Seven[/name], [name]Cash[/name], and [name]True[/name], so I don’t think [name]August[/name] would be such a big deal!). But it does concern me that sooo many people seem to think of [name]August[/name] as a girl’s name. I like names that aren’t hyper-masculine (our son is [name]Luca[/name]) but I don’t want to give a boy a name that totally seems like a girl’s name to most people. It’s funny, [name]August[/name] (for boys) is on the short list of names that have been in the top 1000 since records have been kept, so I can’t figure out why it seems girly to some.

Also think I’m extra hormonal this week and have been able to talk myself out of every name for one reason or another!

[name]August[/name] is all boy!

Like [name]Julius[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]

[name]August[/name] is at the top of my list for either a girl or boy. It just seems pretty gender-neutral to me.

My favorites are [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] and [name]August[/name] [name]Theodore[/name].

[name]August[/name] is definitely gender-neutral. It was [name]Winifred[/name] I meant, that I usually think of for girls, but I would love it on a boy!

I agree about [name]August[/name] being gender neutral. I love it as a middle name for a girl, but I would only consider using it as a first name for a boy (not for a girl) if that makes any sense at all. What’s good about it, too, is that it has two decidedly male nicknames–Auggie and [name]Gus[/name]–should you choose to use them.

That being said, my favorites from your list are:
Girls: [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Frances[/name]. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Mimi[/name], I can never use it because it’s what my niece and son call my mother instead of “Grandma.” But it’s adorable and refreshing for a little girl too. I’ve always had a soft spot for [name]Frances[/name], as well. Second runner up would be [name]Estella[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. I teach gymnastics to a 4 year old little girl named [name]Estella[/name] and she’s a sweetie and absolutely gorgeous, if that helps.

Boys: Although I do like [name]August[/name], I also love [name]Arlo[/name] [name]Foster[/name]. That’s so handsome! Second runner up would be [name]Hugo[/name]…not a huge fan of the name [name]Sebastian[/name], and I like [name]Alexander[/name] but maybe not with [name]Hugo[/name]. Perhaps [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Foster[/name] or [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]?

[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Florence[/name] ([name]Mimi[/name]) - I like this name, the full version. I do not like [name]Mimi[/name] for the association of a show from the 90s in north [name]America[/name] called the drew [name]Carey[/name] show. There was a character on this show who was extremely overweight, rude, offensive and wore a clown-like amount of makeup. She would not be my first choice for a namesake. Lol sorry, I think [name]Amelie[/name] is just beautiful however. [name]Florence[/name] is okay.
[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] ([name]Mimi[/name]) - this is a beautiful name, so stunning and whimsical. I love it.
[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] ([name]Mimi[/name]) - not as impressive as [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] mostly because IMHO frances seems somewhat matronly. But still a nice choice.
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Jane[/name] - not a favourite, [name]Estella[/name] reminds me of a character from the tv show ‘Friends’ who was a gruff chain smoker named [name]Estelle[/name]. [name]Stella[/name] is beautiful and [name]Stella[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is also very nice. It has a nice flow.
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Florence[/name] - I love [name]Esme[/name]. It’s tasteful and understated a very nice choice. Similar to frances, [name]Florence[/name] is not my favourite but [name]Flora[/name] is nice, so is the french [name]Fleur[/name].
[name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Clementine[/name] - I like sylvie it seems pretty and delicate, it makes me think of a snowflake for some reason. I feel like sylvie could be any age. [name]Clementine[/name] is so so. Are you saying it clemen-teen or tine?
[name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] - I like this as opposed to sylvie [name]Clementine[/name]. So pretty and feminine.
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Jane[/name] - this is pretty but I don’t love it, something isn’t there for me.
[name]Zinnia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] - not a fan. [name]Zinnia[/name] is so so
[name]Zinnia[/name] [name]Florence[/name] - see above

///////////////////////////

[name]Arlo[/name] [name]Foster[/name] (family name) - I like [name]Arlo[/name], it’s grown on me. Neither of these names do much for me apart but they sound nice together.
[name]August[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] - I think august is all boy. Think ‘august rush’. Part of the reason I love the name so much is that movie. I love august [name]Frederick[/name].
[name]August[/name] [name]Winfield[/name] (family name) - I actually like this. It sounds distinguished. Very gone with the wind haha I like it.
[name]August[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] - [name]Theodore[/name] tugboat is all I think of [name]Theo[/name] is nice. [name]Don[/name]'t love this combo.
[name]Abel[/name] [name]Winfield[/name] ([name]Abe[/name]) - again, i actually quite like this. [name]Abel[/name] is a neat name. I think august [name]Winfield[/name] sounds better but [name]Abel[/name] [name]Julian[/name] is nice.
[name]Everett[/name] [name]Julian[/name] - this is such a handsome name. It just rings all of the right notes for me. I love [name]Everett[/name].
[name]Felix[/name] [name]Julian[/name] - IMHO felix is something i’d expect on a cat not a child but this name okay.
[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] - a very strong name. I have a tough time imagining [name]Hugo[/name] on a baby though. Still a very nice choice. I suppose you could call him [name]Huey[/name].
[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name] - I simply [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name] so I am partial to this option. I like sebastian hugo? Or [name]Sebastian[/name] [name]Felix[/name] even
[name]Julius[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] - although I do like this name I feel it is too big for any person to live up to lol.

My favorites of your list are [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Celeste[/name], sylvie [name]Josephine[/name], august [name]Frederick[/name] and a tie between [name]Everett[/name] [name]Julian[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name].

I have no suggestions ATM but if I think of any I will certainly repost! :slight_smile:

Did not know about the [name]Drew[/name] [name]Carey[/name] character! Not sure that would totally stop me from using it, but things like that are good to know. I can sometimes be a little clueless when it comes to pop culture (I’m not a huge TV watcher) so I appreciate it when people point these things out. For example, I did not think once about the [name]Suzanne[/name] [name]Vega[/name] song when picking out the name [name]Luca[/name] for our son. But we were definitely reminded of it (particularly by men aged 40 or so) the first few months after he was born!

And thanks for making me feel better about [name]August[/name]. That one still feels the most right at this point, but depending on the day, the others seem like “the one” as well. Hopefully as I get closer to my due date I’ll have at least narrowed it down to a couple of choices! And I’m definitely still open to suggestions. [name]Love[/name] the suggestion of [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Frederick[/name].

One more note about [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]: as a young girl, I fell in love with the name [name]Emma[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] (this was the late 80’s, pre-Friends) and always thought that would be my first daughter’s name. When I met my husband more than a decade later, I find out that his wonderful grandma is named [name]Emilia[/name] (called [name]Emma[/name]) and his mother’s middle name is [name]Celeste[/name]. I adore my [name]MIL[/name], too (feel very lucky to be able to say that!).
So while that name isn’t the most unique on my list, it definitely has huge family significance.