Thoughts on name? I get silence and strange look whenever I mention it to family

Help! I am due in just a few weeks and still nameless!! :sob: I have always loved my father-in-laws middle name “Leo” and since we are having a girl, my mind keeps going to “Leonore”, but every time I mention it I get silence or a funny look. [name_m]Just[/name_m] wondering if anyone can tell me what those people may be thinking that they aren’t saying?? Hahaha. I will still go with what we feel at end of day, but curious to know thoughts on the name because I have never met a [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] myself. [name_f]My[/name_f] first daughters name is [name_u]River[/name_u]. I know they don’t necessarily need to “go together” but I do see that quite often and feel that [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] and [name_u]River[/name_u] are very different. If that even matters? Thank you…from - The Over Thinker -

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] is a very elegant name. The odd reactions you’re getting might be because it’s a bit old fashioned and relatively unseen today, but it’s still a very pretty choice and I think it goes well with [name_u]River[/name_u]. But if you’re looking for other [name_u]Leo[/name_u] themed options, i might suggest:
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Leola[/name_f]
[name_f]Clio[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
I hope you go with whatever name you’re happiest with, even if it isn’t your family’s favorite! Good luck!

3 Likes

[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] is lovely! I think [name_u]River[/name_u] and [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] make a darling pair.

1 Like

I know a few Leonores. It’s popular together with Eleanore’s etc. Very pretty! :blush: Heh, don’t mind people! I read my sister and my cousin my baby name list (long list) today for fun and they literally hated everything and laughed at everything! :joy: [name_f]My[/name_f] sis found even [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] ridiculous and told me that it would be cruel to name a child Rosebeth or Ethelrose. I’m not offended at all, I love her, but I don’t have the same style with her.

1 Like

I like it but it is new to me. People warm up to names pretty quick once they meet the baby.

1 Like

It’s not a bad name but maybe a tad confusing for some. Where [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is somewhat popular right now it kind of visually seems like a misspelling. And again where [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is so familiar right now how to pronounce this name could be throwing some off.

I like it and think that is a sweet way to tie in with family. I wouldn’t worry about any silence or no comments. [name_f]Do[/name_f] what feels right. Yes, [name_u]River[/name_u] and [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] are different stylistic, but I don’t think they are in any way a mismatch. I think they sound lovely together.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] is elegant and lovely! I don’t think there are any bad connotations with the name. Spelled [name_f]Leonor[/name_f] (and pronounced leh-oh-nor) it’s the name of [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Leonor[/name_f] of Spain, the current king’s daughter. I think people will get used to [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] quickly! They’re probably just reacting oddly since it’s less familiar – there’s nothing weird or bad about it as far as I know!

3 Likes

Oooh please use [name_f]Leona[/name_f].

I think it would be a beautiful sister to [name_u]River[/name_u]

I would probably just use [name_u]Leo[/name_u] with a feminine middle name. [name_u]River[/name_u] and [name_u]Leo[/name_u] make a cute set of sisters.
suggestions:
[name_u]Leo[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u] [name_f]Noreen[/name_f]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u] [name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_u]Or[/name_u]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

1 Like

I think leonore is a beautiful name! (Though the only one [name_u]Ive[/name_u] ever known pronounced it leh-nore)

1 Like

[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] sounds lovely! :slight_smile: I also like it without the “e”: [name_f]Leonor[/name_f].

I’m wondering whether maybe the reason people are reacting slightly oddly when they hear it is because it rings somewhere between masculine names such as [name_u]Leo[/name_u] & [name_m]Leonard[/name_m], and more familiar female names such as [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]? Perhaps the crossover could be a bit confusing to the ear.

Alternative options (in case you’re pondering other versions):

[name_f]Leonora[/name_f]
[name_f]Leoline[/name_f]
[name_u]Leoni[/name_u] / [name_f]Leonie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leora[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonelle[/name_f]

Also really like a previous suggestion of [name_f]Clio[/name_f], which could be spelled [name_u]Cleo[/name_u], for even more of a direct link.

[name_u]Or[/name_u] you could do the classic “switch to -a”, and go with [name_f]Lia[/name_f] / [name_f]Lea[/name_f] / [name_f]Leah[/name_f] to honour [name_u]Leo[/name_u].

Are you in a country where the washing detergent brand [name_f]Lenor[/name_f] is used? I do think of this when I read [name_f]Leonore[/name_f]. I don’t know if it would come to mind if someone said it to me in all its 4 syllable glory. [name_f]My[/name_f] best guess is that no one expected you to go for something long and princessy like [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] having named your first child the delightfully earthy and unisex [name_u]River[/name_u].

[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] is elegant, pretty and strong - I like it! [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] and [name_u]River[/name_u] are an unexpected and charming set!

[name_f]Leonie[/name_f], [name_f]Leandra[/name_f] and [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] came to mind too :heart:

2 Likes

Aw what a great family honor name. [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] is beautiful! It’s a classic name, it’s a royal name. She would make a wonderful little sister for [name_u]River[/name_u] :slight_smile:

I also like the Spanish spelling/pronunciation [name_f]Leonor[/name_f] (“Lay-oh-nor”)

[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] is beautiful! The weird looks are probably due to it being uncommon for now, but she will still fit right in with current trends! I also love [name_f]Leonor[/name_f], [name_f]Lenora[/name_f], [name_f]Leonie[/name_f], & [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f]

I don’t mind the mismatched sibling names either :slight_smile:

[name_u]River[/name_u] and [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] are too cool, too fun, and too wonderful to be sisters’ names. They are so good. Probably leaves folks stunned. :wink:
Oh, I just love them together!! Their mismatched styles make them all the more excellent as a duo. 10/10 yes!

1 Like

[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] is lovely. Nothing wrong with it and it sounds lovely with [name_u]River[/name_u]. Great nn potential too with, [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_u]Leo[/name_u] and even [name_f]Nora[/name_f] being possible. I don’t know why you are getting a negative reaction. Is one member of your family a confidante to you? You could ask them? Otherwise you will always be second guessing. If it is just that they don’t like the name personally, ignore it, as a child grows into his or her name and makes it their own. People will soon come round.

oh, leonore is just gorgeous !! an absolutely stunning choice. if i were to guess, people might be considering it a bit old or clunky? when i mentioned leonore to my parents, they said it was an old-lady name, but imo it’s reached the point of coming back, alongside vintage beauties like mabel and olive (which my family also thought were too old), though i’d say they’re definitely back, at least around me. i know a leonora “leo” in her teens, and she wears it well - i think it definitely works on a modern girl !! she only seems to get positive comments on her name

leonore and river are very different yes, but that’s mitigated by the more modern neutral nickname leo. i also think they have a similar bold, cool-girl image to me, so i can definitely picture them as sisters !! even if i couldn’t, i don’t think sibling cohesion actually matters - it’s easy to get in your head about it as someone who loves names, but i think loving your children’s names is way more important than having a perfectly matched set !!