Thoughts on Octavia

I have heard of this name before, but I really came to love it thanks to the character in The 100. What are your thoughts on it? The meaning is a bit blah but they’re not the be all and end all for me, so it isn’t an issue. I quite like [name_f]Avia[/name_f] as a nickname, too.

Personally I am not fond of it. It sounds harsh to me. It also reminds me of Octomom.

I neither like nor dislike [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] but I think [name_f]Avia[/name_f] is a good nickname for [name_f]Octavia[/name_f].

Honestly, I never used to care much about [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]. But like you, I also grew quite fond of the name because of the 100 character. I think its one of my personal favorites because there are some cool nicknames that come with it, and I love the flow of the name. So yeah, I love the name!

Neutral about it. Maybe something I’d use for a middle name. But probably not because I can’t stand names that start with O.

I like it; I’ve always thought [name_u]Tavi[/name_u] would be a cool nickname.

I like [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]. It’s not at the top of my list, but it would be a refreshing name to hear.

I think [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] is nice - reminds me of the awesome sci-fi author [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_m]Butler[/name_m].

I like it. I think it sounds like the name of an intelligent/determined girl, but has a sweetness to it. [name_f]Avia[/name_f] makes it even more approachable.

I like it! I used to be meh, but then it caught my attention as being strong, feisty, cool, adventurous, I don’t know why, but I just had a sudden change of heart. The meaning is a bit of a disappointment, I kind of feel like it should have a cooler meaning (if that makes sense), but I like the octave connection to music. I’ve also fallen in love slightly with [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_u]Echo[/name_u].

I love [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], adore the nn [name_f]Avia[/name_f] and [name_u]Tavi[/name_u] is so cute too! @myosotis combo of [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_u]Echo[/name_u] is beautiful. The meaning is a bit blah, as it probaly doesn’t mean much personally and doesn’t mean much generally but it’s kinda cool.

I really like it! I don’t know if I would be brave enough to use it myself. I have an [name_f]Octavie[/name_f] on my family tree, which intrigues me. I would be so pleased to meet a little [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] in real life though. It would be really refreshing to hear as another poster mentioned. I like the nn [name_u]Tavi[/name_u].

I think it’s a very ‘stately’ and pretty name…but it’s also a tad ‘heavy’ to wear… a bit like [name_f]Godiva[/name_f]…but if you’re into that sound and look they’re both great, historic/ archaic sounding names. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] is a lovely, stately name, and very wearable.
I find it surprising that so many posters find the meaning lacklustre. Eight is a very meaningful number, the two circles representing the joining of [name_f]Heaven[/name_f] and [name_f]Earth[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]. It’s elegant and regal, with so much history behind it, and fun to say. It’s just as lovely as [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] or [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], imo, but so much less common.

Thanks for your opinions. :slight_smile: @kinyonga: Hm, that’s a nice way to look at it, but I am not religious which is probably why the meaning goes right over my head.