Thoughts on Ostara

Ostara is a spring goddess representing dawn. I recently stumbled upon this name scanning through random lists and it has gone straight to the top of my list. It is a perfect name to align with my tastes([name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Ondina[/name_f] etc being long time favourites to give you an idea…)
However, is there a reason people don’t use this name? It isn’t at all popular, it’s not even on Nameberry. Surely there is some sort of negative connotation or something if this is the case? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks lovelies <3

I’ve never come across Ostara before but it has a lovely fresh sound

1 Like

I love it!! Its been a long time love. I think its strong and refreshing with out being crazy weird

1 Like

I think it’s really strong and pretty! It’s familiar to me as one of the names of the spring equinox in [name_m]Pagan[/name_m] tradition.

2 Likes

I like it, it’s quirky but pretty. I don’t think I would use it, I guess I prefer more well known classics like [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]. I’ve heard of plenty of people who use [name_f]Star[/name_f] as a name and Ostara seems to be a more elegant way to get nn [name_f]Star[/name_f]. Ostara also makes me think of Ostrava, a city in the Czech Republic.

1 Like

Ostara is so pretty! I don’t know of any negative connotations but you’re right that it’s not used often even on NB, I wonder why that is!

1 Like

I love Ostara! It’s one of my favourite O names.
It’s pretty, unique, with a cool mythological connection and cute nicknames ([name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_f]Star[/name_f] or even [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m]?)
It makes me think of autumn for some reason, even though it’s a spring-related name

1 Like

Very pretty! It would be great for a spring baby, especially one born in [name_u]March[/name_u]. :blush:

1 Like

I think it’s pretty! I can’t think of a negative association for it. Not a name I’d use but one I’d love to see used.

1 Like

I like Ostara, but I prefer Estara a bit more. Not really sure why. Ostara is lovely though, and nicely on trend with the O start.

1 Like

I really like Ostara. It’s familiar too me as the pagan spring goddess, and also I think [name_f]Easter[/name_f] comes from Ostara maybe? I really like it as a name for a springtime baby.

1 Like

It’s lovely (and I really do like it), but I speak (a little) Norwegian, and Ost means cheese, so that’s my first thought.

1 Like