Thoughts on our list

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] folks! I’ve read this forum for a little while but just now decided to finally register and post. My husband and I are currently living in Ohio but moving overseas in about a year’s time, and after that’s done with we’re going to start considering kids a little more seriously. So I don’t have a baby to name quite yet, but I’d love to hear your name opinions anyway.

I’m of European descent and my husband was born in [name_f]India[/name_f], so we would like to use a combination of names that reflects both cultures. Right now, I’m mostly thinking of [name_f]Indian[/name_f] first names with Western middles, but we could easily flip that around - not sure! :stuck_out_tongue:

The current top ten for girls (middle would possibly be [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], an honor name):

Aarini - means “adventurous”
Apsara - means “nymph” or “celestial maiden”
[name_f]Avni[/name_f] - means “earth”
Gira - means “divine language”
Janisha - means “dispeller of ignorance”
[name_f]Mina[/name_f] - means “fish” or “jewel”
Naina - means “eyes”
[name_f]Padma[/name_f] - means “lotus”
Samata - means “equality”
Yatra - means “journey”

And for boys (middle would possibly be [name_m]Alejandro[/name_m] [or [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]], also an honor name):

Akash - means “sky”
Atman - means “soul”
[name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] - means “enlightenment”
Etash - means “luminous”
Jaival - means “life giving”
Jatan - means “nurturing”
Nihar - means “fog”
Prakash - means “light”
Prasanna - means “cheerful”
[name_m]Ravi[/name_m] - means “sun”

All feedback is welcome!

My favorites are [name_f]Mina[/name_f] and [name_m]Ravi[/name_m]!

[name_f]Mina[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] & [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is best way to bring two different cultures together, other suggestions

[name_f]Alisa[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
Antara [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Asha[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
Drisana [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
Hiranya [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ila[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
Mitali [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Myra[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
Nilay [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]

Daiwik [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
Deo [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Deodar[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
Kairav [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
Lavi [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
Sarvin [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Vivaan[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]

Thanks, elifsu. I like [name_f]Asha[/name_f].

Yeah, we tried to pick names that, while they may not be super familiar, are at least pretty easy to pronounce and spell. Gira, for example, rhymes with names like [name_f]Kira[/name_f] and [name_f]Mira[/name_f] that might be more culturally universal. I’m not one to shy away from an offbeat name, though. Thanks for the suggestions, I like several of them. [name_f]Anya[/name_f] and Amrita are already in use by other family members or they’d be on the list.

What gorgeous names!

I especially like [name_f]Avni[/name_f], [name_f]Padma[/name_f] and Yatra for girls and Akash, Etash, Nihar and especially [name_m]Ravi[/name_m] for boys. And I really love [name_f]Priya[/name_f], [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f], [name_m]Vivaan[/name_m] and [name_u]Jay[/name_u]/[name_u]Jai[/name_u] from the suggestions so far.

[name_f]Sahar[/name_f]
Priti
Mahal
Sakina
Safiya
[name_f]Anjali[/name_f]
[name_f]Faiza[/name_f]
[name_f]Layla[/name_f]/[name_f]Leila[/name_f]

[name_m]Sachin[/name_m]
Zoravar
[name_m]Nikhil[/name_m]
Rohaan/[name_u]Rohan[/name_u]
Rayyan
[name_m]Vihaan[/name_m]
[name_m]Salman[/name_m]
[name_m]Adnan[/name_m]

[name_u]Love[/name_u] Akash, [name_m]Ravi[/name_m], [name_f]Mina[/name_f], and Naina from your list (Naina makes me think of, like, every 2000s Bollywood heroine who wasn’t named [name_f]Anjali[/name_f], lol. It’s so pretty!)

More ideas of things English speakers can pronounce easily:

[name_u]Neel[/name_u]/[name_f]Neela[/name_f], Ashwin, Megha, Radha/Radhika, Mallika, [name_m]Arjun[/name_m], [name_m]Kiran[/name_m], [name_m]Dev[/name_m], [name_f]Kala[/name_f], Divya, [name_f]Isha[/name_f], [name_f]Nisha[/name_f], [name_m]Veer[/name_m]/[name_f]Veera[/name_f], any of the [name_f]Maya[/name_f]/[name_f]Daya[/name_f]/[name_f]Jaya[/name_f] names