Thoughts on our shortlist

Hello,

I am curious what you think of our list for our first boy. A couple of these names are recently very popular names that are currently on the decline ([name_m]Jacob[/name_m], [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]), while the others had their drop many decades ago and are relatively stable in their positions down the charts. I’m not really sure how much any of that matters, but I’m curious what you think.

Frederick
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m]
[name_m]Joshua[/name_m]
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]

Hi! I like all of these! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are probably [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] and [name_m]Lewis[/name_m]! I’m not a big fan of [name_m]Hugh[/name_m]. I wish it had a hard consonant. [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] is also very nice, but it’s not all that exciting to me. I like [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] as combos!

1 Like

I love [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and [name_m]Lewis[/name_m]

1 Like

Hugh is lovely! The others aren’t my favourite.

1 Like

Thanks all for the feedback thus far. I suppose a consensus was too much to hope for!

I really like [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugh[/name_m]! They’re all lovely names though!

1 Like

Frederick - super handsome! I love the nn [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], or maybe even [name_m]Eero[/name_m], as a huge stretch, which is the Finnish form of [name_m]Eric[/name_m] haha. I love that it reminds me of my beloved Persuasion with [name_m]Captain[/name_m] Wentworth. I think something like [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Amias[/name_m] would be gorgeous. I slightly prefer the [name_u]French[/name_u] [name_m]Frederic[/name_m], but [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] is so timeless and perfect.

Hugh - I like it okay. I prefer [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], mainly for the ties to [name_m]Victor[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and my beloved Les Miserables.

Jacob - I used to love it, but have tired of it in recent years. I like it with no nickname; I’m not a [name_m]Jake[/name_m] person at all, I’m afraid.

Joshua - lovelovelove! I wouldn’t use it up front because I’d want to use the full [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] the whole time, but I love it as a middle. I think something as familiar as [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] makes a great unexpected middle, too. I have [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] on my list; I think [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] would be unexpected and handsome too! (or [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]?)

Lewis - super handsome! I swing back and forth between [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] and [name_m]Louis[/name_m]. I love both. :heart:

Frederick, [name_m]Joshua[/name_m], and [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] are my favorites; I’d love to see [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] or [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m], or maybe even [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]/Hugo [name_m]Joshua[/name_m].

Good luck!

1 Like

Hmm…
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] ~ very handsome love [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] sweet choice

Hugh ~ this is okay it’s sophisticated I can see the appeal but not a favourite

Jacob ~ ah I love this name. It’s on my personal list I think [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] is just effortless, very handsome & I love [name_m]Jake[/name_m].

Joshua ~ another great biblical choice. I like [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] it’s just wholesome. Really happy sounding name that ages well.

Lewis ~ I like [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] it’s simple you can’t really go wrong just like the rest of the names on your list aside from [name_m]Hugh[/name_m].

My favourite is [name_m]Jacob[/name_m]

1 Like

They’re all great names. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is [name_m]Joshua[/name_m].

1 Like

Love [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]! it’s handsome and nerdy. I do like [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] but prefer [name_m]Louis[/name_m] spelling

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] (or [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]), [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]. I would categorize these as uber-handsome names.

1 Like

These are gorgeous names! The only one I don’t love is [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], but the rest are perfect in my eyes. It’s hard to choose a favourite from your list, but [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] might be it.

1 Like

I was thinking about [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] just the other day. It’s a nice name.

1 Like

I like all of these! Very my style. [name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] and [name_m]Lewis[/name_m]. (I pronounce [name_m]Louis[/name_m] as [name_u]Lou[/name_u]-ee since I’m [name_f]English[/name_f] so [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] is the most intuitive spelling to me).

Don’t think you could go wrong with any of them. Personally less of a fan of [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] but that’s only because I like them vs love them.

1 Like

Two of my own children have the names on your list :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugh[/name_m]. All are solid names though

1 Like

I think they’re all nice… this would be my order

1. Jacob :star: - a personal favourite of mine
  2. Frederick
  3. Joshua
  4. Hugh
  5. Lewis
1 Like

I don’t hate any of these!

Hugh and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] just aren’t my style. They aren’t bad names though.

I like [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], and [name_m]Lewis[/name_m]. [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] is probably my favorite. It’s not overly used but familiar enough people will know how to spell and say it.

1 Like

Your list is magnificent! I specifically adore [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] :blush:

1 Like

Hi there.

Here are my thoughts-

Frederick-This is is dashing. [name_u]Strong[/name_u], smart, old fashioned, & the nns [name_m]Fred[/name_m] & [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] are adorable. It’s well known, but not at all common.

Hugh-I kind of like it. It’s polished & kind of witty. The nn [name_m]Hughie[/name_m] is darling. It’s well known, but unique. That’s always a good quality.

Jacob-It is still quite popular, but it’s a beautiful classic name. It just sounds kind, but very manly too.

Joshua-I should like this name, but can’t get into it. Maybe just so popular in the 80s & 90s that it seems sort of dated somehow.

Lewis-That’s pretty cute. It’s smart & a little quirky, but classic. I slightly prefer [name_m]Louis[/name_m], because the nn [name_u]Louie[/name_u] looks better than [name_m]Lewie[/name_m].

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like