Thoughts on our top 3

Hi Berries,
I’m pregnant with my first child. My husband and I just found out that we’re having a little boy! We are really excited to meet him in a couple of months. I have been looking for names for years as a hobby. We now have a top three that we love very much. I would like to have your thoughts. Could you tell me what kind of little boy or adult you imagine for each name? I also want to share with you the reasons why we love these names.

Bastien: I discovered this name in The Never Ending Story movie when I was 5 yo. I loved the name and the character ever since. My husband has grown found of the name too lately. It’s soft, international, but not too common in our area. At our wedding, we did our first dance on The Never Ending Story theme, because we see our love story as a never ending one. If we choose this name, there would be a connection between a symbol of our wedding and our son’s name - I really like that.

Mathias: I discovered this name in a childhood tv show (Redwall). I love the character with this name, he is brave, he cares about others and he values family and friendship over all - I am sold to these values! First time I mentioned it to my husband, he just loved it and we added it to the list. It feels classic, strong, yet gentle. Plus, it’s international. Also, it is the best fit with our surname. The pronunciation is trickier however.

Tristan: This one has been on our list for the longest time. I loved this name since I first heard it and it was the same for my husband. We both love Tristan and Isolde legend and the connection to the Arthurian tales. Where we live, it is more common than Bastien and Mathias, but since our surname is not common at all, it brings balance to the whole name in my opinion. We speak both French and English at home, and this name is familiar to both our families and the pronunciation is easy - which we really like. Also, I have Celts origins and this name honors them.

Thanks in advance!

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m]: a bit impulsive, loud and lively, a great story teller
[name_m]Mathias[/name_m]: intelligent and notices the details
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u]: athletic and loves to read

1 Like

I love [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] the most for you ! I love the connection to your marriage and I think that is so sweet to tie in ! I can see [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] and [name_m]Mathias[/name_m] as brothers !

1 Like

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] because of that sweet story :pleading_face: it’s so cute

2 Likes

I absolutely adore [name_u]Tristan[/name_u]! It’s one of my favorite names.

1 Like

That is so sweet!

All three of these are great names, so you can’t go wrong. But my favorite–in general, but especially given that sweet connection–is Bastien. :blush:

1 Like

I really love all of these names, in general and for you, but Bastien would be my choice for you! What a beautiful connection!

1 Like

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m]! It’s daring and handsome and a little quirky. And I love the connection to your first dance :two_hearts:

2 Likes

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is so perfect for you!! It’s such a handsome name, and I absolutely love the meaning it holds for you!

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m]: kind, loves to read books, draw, and go on adventures. smiles at strangers, finds the magic in everything, and is always climbing trees & laughing.
[name_m]Mathias[/name_m]: quiet and reserved, maybe athletic. caring, but keeps his emotions to himself. enjoys learning and is very smart.
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u]: bold and brave. very popular and has a lot of friends. a bit charming, and has a soft side he only shows some people.

(also, I just wanted to let you know that I’m pretty sure the character spells his name [name_m]Bastian[/name_m]. You could use whichever spelling you like most though, of course!!)

1 Like

Bastian/Bastien is one of my absolute favourite names for the exact same reason (minus the wedding association). I adored the book and film growing up and love what the story represents about the power of books. Unfortunately my partner vetoed it for our son, who’s due in a few months, but I’m still keeping it as a middle name option. Anyway, my vote, obviously, goes to [name_m]Bastien[/name_m]. I just love everything about it! And it has so much meaning for you. [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_m]Matthias[/name_m] are nice names too, though.

1 Like

I honestly think all three of these names are stunning and so meaningful for you! I loved Redwall growing up too :heart_eyes: [name_f]My[/name_f] personal favorite just in terms of the sound is [name_u]Tristan[/name_u]!

1 Like

I think your connection to [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is super sweet. It has a lot of meaning for you and I think that’s important!

[name_f]My[/name_f] own preference based on the sounds of the names would be [name_m]Mathias[/name_m]. I find this really stunning.

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is solid as well, its one of those that I want to like based on the fact that its a romantic name but for some reason it never makes it into my list but nothing wrong with it.

I think you just have to follow your heart as you know they are all great names but I bet one feels more right! I was so torn between [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] and [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] when I had my son. I literally could not decide for months. But then when I really contemplated with my husband, we agreed [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] just felt a little more like the right name. Now that he’s here, he’s 100 percent [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]. [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] would not have suited him. So anyway sorry for the personal tangent here but my point is just that you love all these names but I bet one just feels the most right after you do some soul searching!

1 Like

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is wholesome, cool and lovely

[name_m]Mathias[/name_m] is distinct and interesting

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is absolutely beautiful, gentle and strong. It’s my favourite boys name

1 Like

I need you to have three boys because I love them as a set! [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is probably my favorite, but [name_m]Mathias[/name_m] is so gentle and underused. [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] is my least favorite based on sound, but it seems to have the strongest personal connection for you and [name_m]Baz[/name_m] is the coolest nickname. I can see why it’s hard to decide!

Maybe considering middle names will help you choose?

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] fave is [name_m]Bastien[/name_m], followed narrowly by [name_m]Mathias[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

This is tough! I love [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] (or [name_m]Bastian[/name_m]? That’s how the character is spelled), & the connection to the movie is sweet. That’s a fantastic first dance song, by the way. :grin: [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is totally one of those names that beautiful & romantic, but still smart & handsome & bold. It’s unique & simple & just feels perfect.

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] has similar qualities to [name_m]Bastien[/name_m], & I don’t think that it’s too popular. But names like Tristan; two syllable ending in ‘n’, are just a bit over done in general. I love a bunch of them, but it’s just something to consider. [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] seems more of a stand out .

[name_m]Mathias[/name_m] is my least favorite. It’s a nice name, but I feel like the spelling & pronunciation is a bit tricky, & I don’t much care for [name_m]Matt[/name_m]. Which may be unavoidable, but I’m not totally sure.

I think that I may have told you this another time that you posted, but my husband is in love w/the name [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] because of the movie & the name [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] because of Legends of the Fall. I like that reference as well!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, thank you everyone for your comments!

Some of you pointed out that the correct spelling for The Never Ending Story’s character is [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] and you’re totally right. Same for [name_m]Matthias[/name_m] in Redwall. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I chose to go with the alternative spelling because we live in a [name_u]French[/name_u] speaking community in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] and [name_m]Mathias[/name_m] are the most common spelling in [name_u]French[/name_u]. If we where in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking area, we would go with the original spelling :wink:

[name_m]Reading[/name_m] your comments, I realize that I’m not the only one liking the story about the first dance! [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I like that story, I loved every positive comments about each name. I think we’ll wait to meet our little boy before we settle on a final name and the right one will come naturally.

1 Like

I remember your past comment! I can only agree with your husband on [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] :wink:

Your comment is so sweet, thanks! I didn’t knew if they would go well together for brothers, but it looks like they do!

I think [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] and [name_m]Mathias[/name_m] sound better in [name_u]French[/name_u]. The [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciation of [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is much less elegant, to my ears at least. If you are routinely going to be in [name_u]French[/name_u] and [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking areas, I’d go with [name_u]Tristan[/name_u].

2 Likes