Thoughts on Ourania?

Thoughts on [name_f]Ourania[/name_f] … [name_f]Ourania[/name_f] [name_f]Parthenia[/name_f] [name_f]Hortense[/name_f] Franciscea? Middles are optional but “ARE” family names. Mostly concerned about the first name. Thanks!

[name_f]Ourania[/name_f] [name_f]Parthenia[/name_f] [name_f]Hortense[/name_f] Franciscea is OK. [name_f]Ourania[/name_f] is pretty and strong, I like it.

If you’re going to go with such out there, unique middle names, I would give your girl a simpler first. [name_f]Ourania[/name_f] [name_f]Parthenia[/name_f] [name_f]Hortense[/name_f] Franciscea is such a mouthful and sort of sounds like you’re trying too hard to be unique. I’m sorry. I just think giving a big long name like this to somebody is cruel and unusual punishment.

As for the ‘our’ spelling, I’d use the original [name_f]Urania[/name_f], if you’re dead set on using it. Depending on where you live (mostly English speaking countries), I do believe most people would pronounce the ‘our’ as the word our. [name_f]Urania[/name_f] is just both more visually and aurally pleasing - to me, anyway.

But again, if you’re using all those long middles, I’d go with something that was no more than five letters long, such as:

[name_u]Eden[/name_u]

[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]

[name_f]Rose[/name_f]

I absolutely love the meaning, and the [name_f]Muse[/name_f] connection, but I’m not a fan of the ‘oo’ sound at the beginning (at least I think it’s an oo sound). I really like [name_f]Urania[/name_f], because it sounds a lot softer, and less harsh, but then there’s Uranus… :(. I think the repeated -ia/ea sounds in [name_f]Ourania[/name_f], [name_f]Parthenia[/name_f], and Franciscea might be too much, although I like them individually. You’re family have awesome names! :slight_smile:

Actually [name_f]Ourania[/name_f] IS the original, [name_f]Urania[/name_f] is the latinised version of the Ancient Greek [name_f]Ourania[/name_f].

I think its a strong sounding name and I like the meaning. [name_m]How[/name_m] exactly are you pronouncing it though?

oo-r aa-n EE-aa, is how we are pronouncing it… I love the name, its beautiful, but was unsure. I’m glad you agree the middles are a bit clunky… I like [name_f]Ourania[/name_f] [name_f]Hortense[/name_f] Franciscea, it tones it down. Family names are tough to navigate.

Too much, and I’ve no idea how to pronounce it.

I love love love [name_f]Ourania[/name_f]. I think it has a beautiful sound and should be used more. I like it so much better than the Latinate [name_f]Urania[/name_f]. But, since it is such a strong and standout name, I wouldn’t use so many middles because it is a bit a of a mouthful.
In Greek, it is pronounced ooo-rah-nee-ah (and this is the best sounding pronunciation [name_f]IMO[/name_f]). I also think it would be a bit weird to see it on a non-Greek, since it is such a Greek name. But if you love it, go for it.

We’ll, Ourania, being Greek would allow us to honor my great grandmother, who was named after her great Grandmother,which their names were Parthenia. My grandmother passed away not too long ago, and I wanted to honor her. Since both Parthenia and Ourania are Greek, theoretically, I could drop Parthenia in the middle, still honor my grandmother, and use a name (Ourania) that We BOTH like by keeping with a Greek name… Long shot I know… :-/

The alternate first name choices are Ambrosia/Ambrosine and Celestina (means heavenly and pairs beautifully with Bethal meaning church, without using a Greek name for the same meaning as Ourania), but than we stray away from Greek Origen with Celestina… My husbands grandmother is Bethel, but it’s been difficult to tie her in and all the other options. It’s tricky navigating family names mixed with your name styles and not offend either side of the family.
Also, we pronounce it Oo-rah-née-ah as we’ll.

Much obliged for everyone’s insight! I’m going go chew on this a bit and try reworking my names and combos. Thanks again!