Thoughts on Pandora

We really love the name but we’re afraid of others opinions. What do you think about [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]?

1 Like

I think it’s a little tied to the Internet radio and the jewelry store, but the name itself is lovely!

5 Likes

It is too tied to [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]’s Box to make it useable IMO. Sorry.

1 Like

It definitely has a lot of connections, from the radio to the jewelry store to the Greek myth, and there will always be someone to comment on at least one of them, if not more than one. However, I think it fits in with the likes of [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] and [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], which are both rising. I am neutral on the name myself, but I do see the appeal. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The imagery of it is not a problem for me, and I think the [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]’s box association is fine imo. For some reason, I really don’t like the name itself. It just sounds haphazardly smashed together like someone just threw together pan+dora. The N and D sounds really clash and don’t flow, and I dislike the name [name_f]Dora[/name_f] also. There are a ton of names people dislike that I love but I still use them so I think that if you love it, you should use it. :blush:

I like it, but it’s a bold choice and you will get surprised reactions. If you choose it you need to do so with heaps of confidence. Otherwise it makes a great middle name.

1 Like

I love the name but would never use it as my name is so similar and just two letters off! I love the nn Panda for it but that’s a given :joy:

I think of the radio app but it’s the least popular one and as a teen I consider it something only old people use so the associate might go away given how the younger generation is using Spotify and [name_f]Apple[/name_f] [name_f]Music[/name_f], I say go for it I love -[name_f]Dora[/name_f] ending names there my favorite!

I think [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] is a beautiful name! It’s not often used so of course people’s minds will spring to familiar associations, but I don’t think any of them are particularly bad or offensive. I’d say go for it!

I love [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] for a variety of reasons. She’s unusual, but familiar, beautiful, and imo would make a great name for a child, teen, or adult. That’s not to mention the nn options, and meaning. As with most myths and legends, I take [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]’s box with a pinch of salt, and look on the bright side, since they’re designed to be cautionary tales. Personally, I enjoy myths, so I like that there’s a connection. It isn’t the most tragic story out there, and at the end of the day curiosity isn’t a bad trait. I think once people hear [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] on an actual person, they’ll become the primary association, and it would just be another (gorgeous) name.

I love it! And I’m very in favour of encouraging curiosity…

While I think its usable, I agree with pp it may be better as a middle name. Most people in real life will either immediately think of the music service or the jewelry store. Not a bad association, however may be annoying for her throughout life to be asked about it.

hello again, I just wanted to pop in and say that I think [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] is totally useable.

There are some associations, the “most difficult” maybe being the internet radio station, but honestly [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] as a site is not as big as it used to be. It’s practically been eclipsed by Spotify. It’s not like [name_f]Alexa[/name_f] is atm. I think a child born in the 2020s would have very little if any issues with this or other pop culture references or with the [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]'s box reference.
I don’t think any of these will be strong associations with her peers, so as long as other parents are respectful it should be fine. :blush:

If you’re feeling apprehensive though, I did leave a fairly long list of femonine Greek names on your other post to sift through.