Thoughts on Raquel?

My girlfriend recently mentioned that she likes the name [name_f]Raquel[/name_f], and I realized I’ve liked it for a long time too, ever since I had a friend in high school with the name. I haven’t seen it around Nameberry much, so I was wondering what you all thought about it. It’s a Hispanic name, which would be good since my girlfriend is Latina. It departs from my usual style a little bit, but I think it sounds very strong, decisive, interesting, and pretty.

Anyway, what are your thoughts/impressions of [name_f]Raquel[/name_f]? And do you think the nickname [name_u]Rae[/name_u] could work, or is it a stretch? I want to avoid the nickname [name_m]Rocky[/name_m] for various reasons. If it’s unavoidable I might just use it as a middle.

For anyone unfamiliar with the name, it’s pronounced rah-KELL/ruh-KELL. It’s the Spanish version of [name_f]Rachel[/name_f].

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I like it and I think the nickname [name_u]Rae[/name_u] is fine. I also think [name_m]Rocky[/name_m] is avoidable. I’m British and [name_f]Raquel[/name_f] reminds me of the girl from Only Fools and Horses (her name was [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] but she went by [name_f]Raquel[/name_f]). I think [name_f]Raquel[/name_f] goes fine with the names in your signature, too.

[name_f]Raquel[/name_f] seems very appealing to me and I like how strong it sounds. [name_u]Rae[/name_u] seems doable as a nickname.