Thoughts on renaming the Momberries category?

I think it is perhaps best to actually post a mumsberries thread within the parentberries section then if anyone is interested?? Personally, when I post in momberries I know it’s because my audience is going to be mums and female which I equate to recieving a response where somebody has had similiar experience that I can gain knowledge or learn from? ( This is just my opinion) Some areas are just more specific and relatable to mums.

I personally think dad’s and dadberries and trans and transberries ( thought there already a thread for this community on here, I could be wrong) would have loved to have had their own section on here too, which I am all for ? Not to be excluded by any means but to know that the response they get will be more applicable and relatable to their circumstances. To exemplify, if a man wanted to discuss his semen health, fertility efforts, sperm banks perhaps he would feel more comfortable in discussing that with his gender in a dadberries section.

1 Like

I think that makes sense thanks for the clarification.
If you don’t mind I will post a mumsberries section within the parentberries.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response @anon25197097!

I have absolutely nothing against specific sections for dads, mums, trans or non-binary parents, grandparents, adoptive parents, etc. etc. if people want those narrower dedicated spaces. But all of those make most sense to me within the broader #parentberries category, rather than as separate categories.

6 Likes

I love the idea! It not only allows for gender inclusivity, but may feel more welcoming for those struggling with becoming a parent now who felt uncomfortable identifying themselves as a mom - the topic of TTC does fall under parenting imo and makes it a bit more inclusive all around :slight_smile:

10 Likes

@anon25197097 @whatchamacallit @Alix2016 @dandy_orchid @katkabet @regionlatbest @the_common_fool @katinka @leafsgirl44

Since I was the one who started this conversation I wanted to reply to everyone. It looks like there has been a lot of thoughtful conversation, and I’m really glad about that!

Thanks to those who brought up points about looking for a community where they could feel safe and find people to relate to. I definitley didn’t want anyone to feel pushed out or unincluded by suggesting chaging the name category. I hadn’t considered some of those point’s before so thank you for brining those up so there could be a conversation around that. I hope that the parentberry category can still have lots of great threads where moms can feel comfortable because everyone needs places to feel safe and comfortable and find people to relate to.

There was some conversation around whether the momsberry thread needed to change if there were already threads related to LGBTQ issues. I just wanted to respond from this from my perspective to say that I think it’s great to have both kinds of threads! Parenting for dads or gender nonconforming folks isn’t too different than parenting for moms, so it’s really great to have a place for everyone to discuss these issues, and there’s no need to seperate out LGBTQ folks.

Thanks to everyone who brought up some of these points as well, and to everyone who talked about the importance of being inclused. And thanks to everyone who suggest ways that the Parentberries thread can still be inclusive for moms.

Thanks @katinka for making sure the Parentberries thread can include moms and dads and rens and all parenting issues within that category!

6 Likes