Thoughts on Rooney?

I have been researching a lot of names for boys on Nameberry lately and I came across the name [name_m]Rooney[/name_m]. I really like it, but I never heard anyone comment on it or talk about it. What are your thoughts on this name? Is it usable for a boy?

I like [name_m]Rooney[/name_m]. It has a nice meaning (descendant of the champion), and I associate it with the English soccer player [name_m]Wayne[/name_m] [name_m]Rooney[/name_m]. It’s unusual but recognizable, easy to spell and pronounce. It fits the surname trend but isn’t tryndee. I definitely find it usable!

I’m not a big fan of [name_m]Rooney[/name_m], but it does fit in with the other surname names. So it would be different for a first name choice but also familiar. At the end of the day what’s important is that you love it.

In the UK I don’t think it’s usable at all. It’s far too much [name_m]Wayne[/name_m] [name_m]Rooney[/name_m], people would think you were some sort of obsessive [name_m]Rooney[/name_m] fan.

However, since that wasn’t your first thought I assume you are not in the UK!

Makes me think of [name_m]Wayne[/name_m] [name_m]Rooney[/name_m], who isn’t someone I would want my child’s name associated with.

I also would assume a child named [name_m]Rooney[/name_m] was named for the footballer/soccer player, but I don’t necessarily think it’s unusable.

Definitely usable in the US!

I think it’s cute! I’ve never heard of [name_m]Wayne[/name_m] [name_m]Rooney[/name_m], I’m in the US. I’m not sure how it would do as an adult…

I’m not personally a fan, but I do like [name_m]Roone[/name_m] or [name_m]Rune[/name_m] with the nickname [name_m]Rooney[/name_m]!

i’m clearly not from the uk or very much into sports, because my first thought was actress [name_m]rooney[/name_m] [name_f]mara[/name_f] (the girl with the dragon tattoo, carol)! next, actor [name_m]mickey[/name_m] [name_m]rooney[/name_m] and journalist [name_m]andy[/name_m] [name_m]rooney[/name_m]. so, it’s not particularly masculine to me, more unisex than anything else. i don’t mind that, although i don’t particularly care for [name_m]rooney[/name_m] as a given name. i think it’s a very serviceable middle name, though!