Thoughts on Ryan?

See the results of this poll: In your opinion, Ryan is…

Respondents: 13 (This poll is closed)

• Overused: 4 (31%)
  • A "modern classic" that is nice despite being so common: 9 (69%)

I voted for [name]Ryan[/name] even though I love it for a girl too. I’ve known more [name]Ryan[/name]'s my age (30’s) than I have little kids or babies. It’s a nice friendly name. It feels young and fun . I can see [name]Ryan[/name] up the age of the mid 20’s but can’t see it 100% as a mans name. That’s just my personal opinion. I do however like [name]Ryan[/name] and always have.

[name]Ryan[/name] makes me think of another name, [name]Zachary[/name]. I still think [name]Zachary[/name] is a great name in sort of the “era” of [name]Ryan[/name], but did lose a lot of pull. I think beside [name]Ryan[/name], [name]Zachary[/name] is dated, while [name]Ryan[/name] still maintains currency.

Other names like [name]Jacob[/name] (on top of the charts), as well as [name]Ethan[/name], maintain popularity, which I sort of equate somewhat as gaining popularity or notice around the same time as [name]Ryan[/name]. [name]Ryan[/name] may have been earlier, even, and sticks around. I think it has a great sound. [name]Ryan[/name], [name]Rye[/name], a succinct and masculine name. As far as US usage goes, it is rather a modern classic, or seems to be the case, you know. It’s not [name]James[/name] or [name]John[/name] or [name]William[/name], but I think you might be right. I do think it’s been used a long time, but that’s not necessarily “overused” like it’s a bad thing. Kids do still get names like [name]James[/name], [name]John[/name], or [name]William[/name] - you can’t go wrong sort of names. I think [name]Ryan[/name] fits in that category well.

Hmmm, my husband likes [name]Ryan[/name]. Unfortunately I associate the name with two different Ryans from high school who weren’t too friendly. [name]Just[/name] to sway him off of [name]Ryan[/name] I suggested two variations: [name]Rylan[/name] and [name]Orion[/name]. We probably won’t go with any of these, but I just thought I’d bring them up as near-[name]Ryan[/name] possibilities.