Thoughts on Sadhbh?

Irish girls name

Thoughts?

I love [name]Sadhbh[/name]. The spelling isn’t very practical outside of [name]Ireland[/name] though, so using the Anglicised Sive might be worth a thought.

Well, I don’t know how to pronounce it! haha. I don’t think it would be very practical as an Irish spelling in other countries.

I was wondering whether the connection with [name]John[/name] B Keanes Sive would be a negative one, I’m just chopping and changing my irish names list

Hmm. It’s not my favourite Irish name. It’s easy to pronounce if you’re familiar with [name]Eilidh[/name] and other Gaelic names though :slight_smile:

I love it. :slight_smile: full stop.

~[name]Jasmine[/name]

It might be a lovely name, but as an American I haven’t a clue how to pronounce it! I think that if you use it outside of [name]Ireland[/name], you should be prepared that little [name]Sadhbh[/name] will be correcting people’s pronunciations and having to spell her name every time she meets someone new.

Spelling and pronunciation issues may arise depending on where you live but I do like the name [name]Sadhbh[/name]. Maybe not as much as [name]Aoife[/name] and [name]Caoimhe[/name] but it’s fine name all the same.

I don’t like it for the fact that ‘sad’ jumps out so obviously at me. I know it’s not said like that at all, but on paper I can’t get past what it looks like.

[name]Said[/name] like sigh-uv, but with hardly any emphasis on the u

If pronounce it like “hive” with an “s”.

I love the meaning of “sweetness”. [name]One[/name] of my favourites, but as I already have a wee [name]Sorcha[/name], it’s too similar for a future daughter. [name]Don[/name]'t be daunted by the “ohmygod. you’ll have to explain the pronunciation a million times a day” line. In my daughter’s preschool, there are names from 13 different countries, and hers is not the most “unusual” in terms of spelling or pronunciation. If people can wrap their heads around MacKynnleigha, why not [name]Sadhbh[/name]?