Thoughts on Sean?

So, without telling my age, okay I am 40…I grew up with alot of boys named [name]Sean[/name]. We are considering it for baby #4. I know that some people might think it is dated or boring but it is growing on me…I prefer [name]Sean[/name] to [name]Shane[/name]. What are your thoughts? My other children have Irish names as well, [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Declan[/name]. I kind of like the flow of the names together. Thoughts?

I like it! It’s a little bit dated, perhaps, but it’s not like [name]Todd[/name] - it doesn’t scream “I was born in the seventies.” Middle aged people will feel it has a nostalgic familarity; we all went to school with at least one [name]Sean[/name], but it still sounds new on a little boy. It’s a soft, handsome name that is short and to the point and will sound distinctive and unique in a sea of Haydens.

I like [name]Sean[/name] a lot and don’t see it as specific to one generation. I wouldn’t think it was odd to see a baby [name]Sean[/name]. And you’re right that it fits right in with [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Declan[/name].

I like it! I also suggested that to DH who veto-ed it for us, but I think it’s a great name. Being part of the 30+ crowd, I know it was a bit popular, but I think it’s traditional, timeless. Many other Irish alternatives are either a bit too difficult for Americans or are way to trendy right now. I think [name]Sean[/name] is a great choice.