Thoughts on sibsets?

My kids’ names are Benton Grover, Arwen Elizabeth and Raven Azalea Ann. I’ve gone back and forth on whether to continue the N ending theme. So which sibset would you go with? Some of the N ending names I genuinely love and have had on my list over 10 years. I’ve had people tell me if I use the N ending names I really love I don’t have to continue using N endings, but I can’t do that. It would bug me. lol

N Ending First Names

Caspian William
Thorin Charles
Magdalen Saoirse Kate
Imogen Vesper Rose

Non N Ending First Names

Jasper Charles
Silas Ransom
Maple Dorothea Kate
Truly Magdalen Rose

Edit: does it make a difference that mine and my husband’s names also end with N (Bri@n and C@thryn)? Does it matter that it was an accidental theme through Benton and Arwen? When Raven came along my sister convinced me I had to use an N ending name and my husband vetoed my favorite N endings, Imogen and Magdalen? Actually, both of those were on my list with Arwen too, but my husband vetoed them then as well. I feel like I have an opportunity to use the names I love now, but I don’t really love any N ending boy names, but I don’t really love any boy names period. Jasper would be the closest to loving a boy name. We’re considering having 2-3 more kids and I worry about not having an N ending boy name I love to continue the theme, but on the other hand I love Imogen and Magdalen way more than Maple and Truly. BUT I do really like Maple and Truly and do think I could be satisfied with them. I even have a 3rd N ending girl name I could see myself using, Fern. You see my dilemma?! I’m driving myself crazy over here and the baby isn’t even conceived yet. lol If y’all want to throw some N ending boy names at me, I’m game, but I feel like I’ve seen them all. I do like Dean and Gibson too, but they feel mismatched somehow.

Another edit to add that Raven will be at least 8 by the time the next baby is born if that matters. My husband had a vasectomy reversal in January! Benton is currently 13, Arwen 10 and Raven 7. I’ve mentioned to my husband that it kinda feels like we had one litter of kids and then we’re going to have a second litter. So maybe they don’t need to fit the theme? I mean I know they don’t have to fit the theme at all, but the name nerd in me fights this.

[name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and [name_u]Truly[/name_u] :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

[name_f]Maple[/name_f] is maple syrup to me. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]?

I also like [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] :heart:

1 Like

Maybe this is a strange but I would want to just ensure that the first name had an n somewhere, not necessarily at the end.
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] for example.

2 Likes

I’d stick with the N ending since you’ve already done it 3 times. If the fourth child ended up being your last child and they were the only ones without the N ending they might feel left out. If you’d done a couple with and a couple without then that would be different. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s side has 5 siblings that all start with the same letter except one, and that one sibling has always felt a bit left out. [name_u]Love[/name_u] all the N ending names you’re thinking about above!

1 Like

I love [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f], and [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] best with your kids!

1 Like

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]William[/name_u] and [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] are my favourites!! I think the fact they have three syllables makes the -n ending not so obvious/matchy but still there for your peace of mind :slight_smile:

I do enjoy [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and [name_f]Maple[/name_f] though

1 Like

it would make my eye twitch a little, but it’s most important to love the name. as long as it doesn’t stand out like a sore thumb, it’s just fine. endings arent as noticeable as initials, really.

i really love your kids names!
did you also notice they have prominent Es as well? and the A+E for the girls. and the fact they’re all nearly the same length and are 2 syllables.
there’s all of these other things you can latch onto so the next kid doesn’t feel so different.

i especially love your options of
caspian william
imogen vesper rose - would magdalen vesper rose be an option? i love the idea
and all of your non n ending names basically :laughing:

caspian fits with the N theme and the recurring A
magdalen fits with the N and A+E for the girls
jasper fits the recurring E plus the recurring A and the 2 syllables
maple fits the A+E and the 2 syllables

truly fits with the 2 syllables, and it can stand on its own difference as a special meaning, and even vibes with raven on the word name idea (and truly magdalen rose is so so lovely)

1 Like

Ahhh it’s tricky!

Both sibling sets are gorgeous and have names that I adore. I think [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]William[/name_u], [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] & [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] are beautiful. [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] with your kiddos names I think he has the right flair. I love both [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] & [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] they both feel very cohesive they have an earthy bewitching vibe that feels fitting.

Looking at your other sibling set I think [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] works wonderfully with [name_m]Benton[/name_m], [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] and [name_u]Raven[/name_u] he has the same majestic mysticism as the rest of your kiddos names. I think [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_m]Ransom[/name_m] feels more striking and in keeping with the likes of [name_u]Raven[/name_u]. Your girls off this sibling set are delightful. [name_f]Maple[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is perfect. [name_m]Just[/name_m] so beautiful. [name_u]Truly[/name_u] [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is so sparkly and would be such a cool wildcard choice.

So in my opinion it would be whether you want the cohesion off the continuous ‘n’ sound or if you want to break that subtle theme. I used to be a stickler for themes when I was using my name nerd mind. However having named a child myself I realise that it’s such a privilege to have the opportunity to bestow a name onto a child so I believe you should use names that you love. So my advise is to ignore the theme and just go with the sibling set you love!!

1 Like

@Babynamequeen029 @Victory55 @marie29 @ellerbea @Greyblue @Aren @tori101

I added edits if y’all would like to comment further! I really appreciate y’all’s help!

I think if you are having atleast 1-2 more kids after this one. You could do a different theme! Example-

Ends with a H
[name_u]Nature[/name_u] names
Musical names
Old fashion names
Has a Y in it

Etc etc…

2 Likes

-n names

Boys-

[name_u]Carson[/name_u]
[name_m]Weston[/name_m]
[name_u]Nolan[/name_u]
[name_m]Preston[/name_m]
[name_u]Brayden[/name_u]
[name_m]Daxton[/name_m]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u]
[name_u]Keelan[/name_u]
[name_m]Ivan[/name_m]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_u]Lennon[/name_u]
[name_u]Lennox[/name_u]
[name_u]Hayden[/name_u]
[name_m]Caden[/name_m]
[name_u]Aiden[/name_u]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_u]Jayden[/name_u]

Girl’s-

[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_u]Oaklyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Lennon[/name_u]
[name_f]Gracelyn[/name_f]
Paislyn
[name_u]Addison[/name_u]
[name_u]Madison[/name_u]
[name_u]Hayden[/name_u]
[name_u]Jaidyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosalyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Riverlyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]

1 Like

I know a sibset [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_u]Corbin[/name_u] and [name_u]Raven[/name_u] if that is any inspiration.

1 Like

I do like [name_u]Corbin[/name_u] more than some of the other N ending boy names I have on my list, but I took it off my list because -bin sounds like [name_m]Ben[/name_m]- in [name_m]Benton[/name_m]. Would you let that bother you?

I’d rather not repeat initials or the strong AR sound like in [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] or the long A sound in [name_u]Raven[/name_u]. This vetoes a whole lot of names. I’m also not a fan of modern invented names, although I do really like [name_u]Oaklyn[/name_u], but I don’t see myself actually using it. I prefer names with a long history. For example [name_m]Benton[/name_m] is old [name_f]English[/name_f] and also the name of the man who originated the idea of the Appalachian [name_m]Trail[/name_m], [name_m]Benton[/name_m] MacKaye (it also happens to be my husband’s great grandfather’s name). I do like [name_m]Weston[/name_m] though because it makes me think of [name_m]Weston[/name_m] A. [name_m]Price[/name_m] and I’m a certified health coach, so he’s a bit of an inspiration for me. This leaves [name_u]Julian[/name_u], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] as possibilities from your list. I think [name_u]Julian[/name_u] could work, but [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] shares the -lyn/len with [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] and Magdalen>Evelyn in my book. I’d rather not have two names with that ending. And as for [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], I know so many Lilys it’s not even funny. I can’t imagine using any [name_f]Lily[/name_f] name except for maybe [name_f]Lilou[/name_f]. I say all this not to be critical of your list (I really appreciate it), but to exhibit the difficulty I’m dealing with, mostly created by my own brain. lol

1 Like

The iconoclast in me says break the theme :smile: I mean especially since you didn’t intentionally choose one at first. The endings are not as noticeable as initials are, at least to me. Also, [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_m]Ransom[/name_m] has my heart since I have a brother [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and a son [name_m]Ransom[/name_m] :slightly_smiling_face:

However, my other favorites from your lists are [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]William[/name_u] and [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. Oh my goodness. So gorgeous :heart_eyes:
I like the others too, all of them, so it’d be hard to go wrong here in my opinion! I like the [name_m]Tolkien[/name_m] nod in [name_m]Thorin[/name_m], quirky [name_u]Truly[/name_u] (if Chitty Chitty Bang Bang doesn’t bother you), sweet Maple…

1 Like

With 4 plus kids I would give that a pass.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_m]Thorin[/name_m] and [name_f]Maple[/name_f] with your kids names! i don’t think you have to continue the N ending name pattern if you have a name you really love that doesn’t follow the pattern.

from the middle names i love [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]! i also like [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

1 Like

Your kids names are great! And your list is amazing!!

I personally love [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] & [name_m]Thorin[/name_m] with your sibset. Knowing that you both have “n” ending names, I think you should continue the “n”… But if I didn’t know you had “n” ending names, I would suggest now is the time to start a new trend, especially if you’re planning on having more kids.

Ideas:
Jaspin
Kesden
[name_m]Orvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Jenson[/name_m]
[name_m]Anakin[/name_m]

[name_f]Anniston[/name_f]
[name_u]Fallon[/name_u]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u]
[name_f]Roslyn[/name_f]

2 Likes

@river_dweller I have thought about Jaspen! I decided against it because it’s basically a smoosh of [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and [name_u]Aspen[/name_u] with no real history as a name, but I do love the sound of it. I like it more than [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]. The name nerd in me has always shied away from “made up” names. I just don’t know!

1 Like

i was ready to jump in and say that the new littles would feel left out without the N ending, but you already made the point i was going to make about the litter of kids :joy:

definitely if you plan on having a new bundle of littles and so removed from the big kids, it works for them to be different.
since we cant predict anything, and all your little might end up being boys :laughing: dont burden yourself with a theme you have to stick to.
and you could also create a new theme? or incorporate other similarities between the names, some like i said, some might be a repeat initial, some might be more word names, etc

you could also keep some of those N ending names you have as middles, without depending on it being the first name. that would still give a connection but hopefully without the burden

maple, truly and fern is just so lovely!
jasper definitely fits as well, it has a cottagecore vibe. dean and gibson definitely fit into the farmsy mental picture the set gives me.

ah i hope you post as you go on your new naming journey, i just love your kids names so much :grin:

1 Like