Thoughts on some names names on my mind

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] you’re all doing well.

I’ve got a couple of names I’ve been liking and I just want to gather some thoughts. I’m not completely attached to any of these, so no worries if you hate them. Also, some are more middle name territory for me :slight_smile:

[name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to pick out your favourites, rate them out of ten, comment on a few, point out any problems, whatever you have time for or feel up to.

Sidenote: I posted something similar the other day, so if you answered that, feel free to skip this.

[name_u]Julian[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
Pat/Patrick
[name_m]Cap[/name_m] (maybe as nn for Caspian?)
[name_u]Jem[/name_u]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_m]Omri[/name_m]
[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]
[name_m]Leonard[/name_m]
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m]
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m] (too [name_u]Joseph[/name_u] [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] if you hate [name_f]Heart[/name_f] of Darkness?)

Thank you for any comments :heart::heart:

(Bonus points for anyone who can guess my favourite show at the moment :grin:)

1 Like

Julian-8
Robin-7, I guess I like this one better on a girl because ive met a girl Robin but it still looks awesome on a boy
Pat/Patrick- 6
Cap (maybe as nn for Caspian?)- its a 10 for Caspian :heart_eyes: and 7 for just Cap
Jem-9 love this
Magnus- 7
Omri-7
Cosmo-10, this is a gp of mine
Leonard- 9 I love a little Leon
Cormac- 7
Conrad(too Joseph Conrad if you hate Heart of Darkness?)- 9, I have never read the book so I dont have the association but Joseph Conrad is actually adorable

1 Like

[name_u]Julian[/name_u]- love

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] - i agree that I think of it as a girl’s name despite a couple celebrity male associations. I just find the name itself to be feminine but its proven to be perfectly unisex and its not a bad name at all.

[name_m]Patrick[/name_m]- Nothing wrong with [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]. Its a nice name but I dont enjoy saying it for some reason. Too many consonants or a harsh sound or maybe because I have one bad association. I want to love [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] and I just can’t but for others the name is perfectly fine!

[name_m]Cap[/name_m]- interesting nickname! Makes me think of Capricorn but I think it could work as a nickname for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m].

[name_u]Jem[/name_u]- i find this feminine but it makes me think of the cartoon from the 80s.

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]- I think [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] could grow on me. Its not a name I love the sound of but it has awesome qualities

[name_m]Omri[/name_m]- interesting. It sounds like ornery to me so I’m not sure its for me but I like the sleek look of it.

[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]- this will always remind me of [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] Kramer from Seinfeld but in theory I want to love it. Im surprised [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] isn’t more popular as it as the qualities of a popular name!

[name_m]Leonard[/name_m]- i prefer [name_u]Leo[/name_u], [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] or [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] but I feel like [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] has a lot of competition and Italian versions of names always sound better! I think [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] is more wearable and easy going than [name_u]Leo[/name_u] or [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m]. I really don’t mind [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] but there are just many similar names to either like better or confuse with!

[name_m]Cormac[/name_m] - I really love [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]!

[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]- I like [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]. I dont think of [name_u]Joseph[/name_u] [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] so I dont think thats a go-to association! I actually think of [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] the Barbarian but that association is old anyhow. I think [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] is cool and strong!

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Here’s my favorite to least favorite:

Julian-Julian is probably my #1 boy. It’s at least been in my top five since near the turn of the century. :blush: It’s so charming & lovable & posh but sweet. I love the nn [name_u]Jude[/name_u] too.

Pat/Patrick-Well, I’m not a fan of [name_u]Pat[/name_u]. I guess it maybe feels dated. But I super love [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]. It’s smart & sharp & sporty & handsome. I love the nn [name_m]Patch[/name_m], if you’re into that.

Jem-Jem is so sweet. It’s playful & warm & I love the literary reference. I do prefer it for a nn though. [name_m]Jerome[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jem[/name_u] is cool. I’m loving [name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m] lately. [name_u]James[/name_u] & [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] are also good.

Magnus-I don’t know. I sometimes like it. It’s different but fairly simple. It feels strong & interesting. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is obsessed w/this name, but it feels too macho to me some how. I like the nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u].

Leonard-This is a name that I want to love, because it’s my grandpa’s mn. His first name is [name_m]Albert[/name_m], which I’ve fallen for at least! But I like it in theory. It’s vintage & lovable. The nn [name_u]Leo[/name_u] is cute, but I also like the nn [name_m]Lad[/name_m].

Cormac-I used to not like this, but then someone on these boards said it was more ‘Cormic’ rather than ‘Cor-Mack’. Then I liked it more. It still sounds a little awkward to say out loud, but it’s kind of a cool unique slightly sporty & handsome Gaelic name.

Cap-I can see the appeal. It’s kind of cute. Very sporty, which I usually like a lot. Maybe I just need to get used to it. It works as a nn for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]. I think it could work as a nn for [name_u]Charles[/name_u]? [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_m]Caspar[/name_m].

Robin-I love that it’s a bird & that it has a playful vibe w/the whole [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] thing. But it feels too feminine for a boy & too masculine for a girl.

Cosmo-It’s fun & quirky, but just feels too goofy to me.

Conrad-I’m not sure who [name_u]Joseph[/name_u] [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] is. But I don’t know that I care for [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]. It feels too heavy.

Omri-I’m not into this one. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I usually love Hebrew names. It reminds me of the word ornery.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I rate them out of 10 and comment on them.

Julian-10/10 Yes! I love names ending in -ian and this one no exception.
Robin-8/10 I really like this for boys and girls. I now had a male association so I think this is the perfect Robert substitute.
Pat/Patrick-5/10 I like Patrick (family name), but I dislike Pat. Patrick is more of a underused classic while Pat just doesn’t sound like enough.
Cap-7/10 I actualy really like this as a Caspian nickname (Caspian is 10/10 for me). On it’s own it’s bit short (hence the 7/10) but as a Caspian nickname, I love it.
Jem-3/10 Not really a fan of this for either genders. Maybe as a Julian nickname?
Magnus-10/10 I love Magnus! This is on my list.
Omri-5/10 Not too crazy about Omri, but it fits with other names I like, such as Rory.
Cosmo-10/10 I love the fresh -o ending of Cosmo. On my list.
Leonard-3/10 Sounds a bit dated.
Cormac-6/10 This one is growing on me. I love the nn Mac.
Conrad-3/10 I don’t really see the appeal. Not in love with the sound.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_u]Julian[/name_u] (though I favor the [name_u]Julien[/name_u] spelling), [name_m]Conrad[/name_m], and [name_m]Leonard[/name_m]

[name_u]Julian[/name_u] - 7/10, I like it, very nicknameable which is a plus! It’s not my fave, but it’s growing on me (love the nn [name_u]Jude[/name_u] or Jules)
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] - 5/10, I see it as a girl name
Pat/Patrick, I’d spell it [name_m]Padraig[/name_m], since that’s the way my friend spells his name, which makes it seem more ‘young’
[name_m]Cap[/name_m], makes me think of [name_m]Captain[/name_m] [name_u]America[/name_u], 3/10
[name_u]Jem[/name_u], cute as a nn! For [name_u]James[/name_u] maybe? 6/10
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m], 7/10, I love it, but what would be a good nn?
[name_m]Omri[/name_m], 5/10, I don’t have an opinion on it
[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], 7/10, love it but it makes me think of [name_f]Fairy[/name_f] Odd Parents
[name_m]Leonard[/name_m], 6/10, yes as a mn and yes to [name_m]Leonides[/name_m] and [name_m]Leon[/name_m], does make me think of the character from the Big Bang [name_u]Theory[/name_u] (not a bad association!)
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m], 5/10, it’s okay
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m], 5/10, same as [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]

@Mar thank you for your thoughts!!! I like [name_u]Robin[/name_u] on a girl too and I’d probably go with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] nn [name_m]Cap[/name_m] over just [name_m]Cap[/name_m], so I’m glad you like that too:)

@Rachelhaydenberk thank you for your honest thoughts!! I get what you mean about [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] - sometimes I like it, other times, it’s a bit harsh to my ears. Maybe the [name_u]Joseph[/name_u] [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] thing is just the [name_f]English[/name_f] lit student in me :grin:

@MichelleM thank you!! [name_m]Patch[/name_m] is a really cool idea!! [name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m] is nice too for [name_u]Jem[/name_u] and [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] is growing on me (weird since i hate [name_u]James[/name_u] :grin::grin:)

@Larryisalittledog thank you for your thoughts :heart: yeah, I think I’d go with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] nn [name_m]Cap[/name_m]! I love [name_m]Mac[/name_m] too :slight_smile:

@janeybaby thank you!! [name_u]Julien[/name_u] is a lovely spelling too and was the first form I liked the name in! [name_u]Julian[/name_u] has grown on me since seeing it on a character but thank you for reminding me of [name_u]Julien[/name_u]

@highhippogriff thank you!!! Does you friend pn [name_m]Padraig[/name_m] the same as [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]? I’ve only ever heard it pn more like por-rick? Ooh [name_m]Leonidas[/name_m]! I’d forgotten about that one! Thanks for reminding me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Julian - 10. I have always loved this name. Something about it is so endearing.
Robin - 3. I don’t particularly like this for a boy.
Pat/Patrick - 2. Too overused, in my opinion. This is more middle name territory for me.
Cap (maybe as nn for Caspian?) - Not sure about Cap, but I like Caspian. It’s different.
Jem - 1. Not into it, personally.
Magnus - 8. Familiar but not popular.
Omri. - 9. I love this name. I went to college with someone with this name and I always thought it sounded so nice.
Cosmo - 3. Just reminds me of the Fairly Oddparents, lol.
Leonard - 2. I’d prefer just Leo.
Cormac. - 7. I like this name but all I can think of is Cormac McCarthy.
Conrad (too Joseph Conrad if you hate Heart of Darkness?) - 6. I have mixed feelings about this one.

1 Like

@morgance thank you!! [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] would probably be a middle name for me too if I decide I like it enough. Oooh, that’s so cool you knew an Omri!!

[name_u]Julian[/name_u] - It was an old favourite of mine but now I think I associate it too much with the character from our shared new favourite show to give to to a kid.

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Robin[/name_u], it’s so sweet and it has historical and literary references, I always bounce back and forth between calling my [name_u]Robert[/name_u] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] or [name_u]Bobby[/name_u]. prawn go dunka dunka

Pat/Patrick - I do love [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], but it’s been vetoed by DH, it’s classic and strong and as much as I love the character [name_u]Pat[/name_u] I think I prefer the nickname [name_m]Patch[/name_m]

[name_m]Cap[/name_m] - Let’s wait until we find out what his actual name is. pom pom

[name_u]Jem[/name_u] - It’s one of my favourite [name_u]James[/name_u] nicknames but it has been pointed out to me that in certain accents [name_m]Jim[/name_m] and [name_u]Jem[/name_u] sound exactly the same so that’s slightly turned me off it.

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] - I feel like [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is up there with [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] as a name I totally get the love of but I just can’t make myself love it too.

[name_m]Omri[/name_m] - I’ve never seen it before, but it has and interesting sound, I could see it as an unexpected middle.

[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] - I really like [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], slightly prefer [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], but I feel like it’s going to really spike after [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] Johansson’s son.

[name_m]Leonard[/name_m] - I think it’s definitely going to have a comeback, their are to many Leonards to honour in pop culture for it not to and with [name_u]Leo[/name_u] and [name_m]Leon[/name_m] being so popular people are going to want to get an alternative.

[name_m]Cormac[/name_m] - Cormac’s got such a good sound too it, there’s a couple of mythological Irish [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] which I really like and the nickname [name_m]Mac[/name_m] is so sweet.

[name_m]Conrad[/name_m] - I’m a sucker for a [name_u]Con[/name_u] nickname and it’s pretty high up on my list and I hadn’t associated it with [name_u]Joseph[/name_u] [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]. I picked it up from a sad [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] song called [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] Guest by [name_u]Johnny[/name_u] [name_m]Cash[/name_m].

1 Like

I tend to lean toward more traditional names, so that’ll kind of explain my ratings. hops this helps :blush:

Patrick & Robin – 10/10. These have my been some of my long time favorites so I’m a little biased, but I absolutely love these. They both feel very timeless. Robin specifically stands out as it’s not as much of a traditional boy’s name, but still works as a nice alternative to the classic Robert.

Cap / Caspian & Conrad – 7/10. I really like both of these. They aren’t too wild or overused, so I think they’re perfect. If I was going to go with Cap, I would use it as a nn rather than just by itself.

Leonard & Julian – 5/10. They seem a bit like grandpa names to me, but besides that they’re both okay names. I don’t love them but I don’t dislike them either.

Magnus, Omri, & Cormac – 4/10. I haven’t heard some of these before, so to me they seem “unusual” for lack of a better word. These just weren’t my favorites out of the bunch.

Jem & Cosmo – 2/10. I can’t really see them as first or middle spots, more of like pet names.

1 Like

He pronounces [name_m]Padraig[/name_m] more like Pa-draig, with a very strong, rolling r and a soft d!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] dads name is [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] he had constant ridicule as his name is very close to Comrade - associating him with communism and at the time the USSR. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something to be weary of.

[name_u]Jem[/name_u] reminds me of [name_f]Gem[/name_f] from [name_f]Hetty[/name_f] [name_f]Feather[/name_f] , She was a foundling so was raised with his family until she was about 7 he was her god and they had a strong bond. We find out later it was a charade he used on all the foundling children and she was not special. So mixed feelings on [name_u]Jem[/name_u].

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Leonard[/name_m]!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], and [name_m]Conrad[/name_m], because all of those have great nicknames and I’m a nicknames. I like [name_f]Mags[/name_f] and [name_u]Gus[/name_u] for [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], [name_m]Mac[/name_m] or [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], and Rad/Raddie for [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] second boy is [name_m]Conrad[/name_m], and it suits him. It’s recognizable and has great history, but still makes people take notice a bit, since you don’t hear it everyday.

@GenevieveReine you get lots of bonus points!!! I do think if i mentioned [name_u]Julian[/name_u] to anyone in my family they would immediately think of the [name_u]Tory[/name_u] :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::grin: my fault for talking too much about the show :grin:
[name_f]Glad[/name_f] to see some [name_u]Robin[/name_u] love and I love [name_m]Mac[/name_m] and Con!! Thank you for all your thoughts :heart::heart:

@carrington thank you for your thoughts and honesty!! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you like [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] and Robin!!

@Laurenabbey thank you for these insights - I will bear these in mind.

@bjoy ooh a [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]! You have great taste! [name_u]Love[/name_u] those nicknames - thank you!!

2 Likes

Back again even though I answered the other day! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

[name_u]Julian[/name_u] - 7/10 It’s a nice name! I unfortunately knew someone with this name that I wasn’t a fan of so it kind of ruined the name for me. But those feelings aside, I like it!
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] - 2/10 Always makes me think of Batman and [name_u]Robin[/name_u] :rofl:
Pat/Patrick - 8/10 I like [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]! I like that it has nickname potentials and works well as a stand alone name too.
[name_m]Cap[/name_m] 9/10 As a nickname for caspian I love it! I love the name [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and think [name_m]Cap[/name_m] is a really cute nickname for it. Stand alone with just [name_m]Cap[/name_m], I don’t like as much.
[name_u]Jem[/name_u] 5/10 I like it in the middle name spot but I wouldn’t like it as a first name. Feels too word heavy to me.
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] 3/10 [name_m]Just[/name_m] not my style
[name_m]Omri[/name_m] 8/10 I like this one actually! it’s a little out there for me, but I like the sound of it and the look of it.
[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] 5/10 for some reason [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] feels more out there to me than [name_m]Omri[/name_m]. [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] I’d like in the middle spot but not as a first name option.
[name_m]Leonard[/name_m] 6/10 I like it. I’m not as excited about it as some of the others but it’s a nice name.
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m] 3/10 not my style
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m] 3/10 I’m not sure who [name_u]Joseph[/name_u] [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] is but again it’s just not my style.

1 Like

So most of these are good to use; however, I would stay away from [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], [name_m]Cap[/name_m], and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m].

[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] reminds me of a cartoon I used to watch called the The Fairly Oddparents - I would try [name_m]Cosimo[/name_m] instead, to me it feels a bit more refined

[name_m]Cap[/name_m] I just associate with [name_m]Captain[/name_m] [name_u]America[/name_u] (nothing wrong with him, just not the vibe I would go for myself) and kinda just feels like something a person would name their [name_m]German[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]

[name_m]Cormac[/name_m] - I don’t know why but to me it sounds like a spice :joy:

1 Like