Thoughts on Sybil nn Billie

Ok so I really like the name [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] and I think Sybbie is a very sweet nn to use at home/for a baby but I don’t love it as a nickname overall and I feel like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] feels a little grownup and might need a nickname for a kid if that makes sense :slight_smile:
So how do we feel about [name_u]Billie[/name_u] as a nn for [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]? I’ve seen it suggested before so I know it’s not too far of a stretch. Does the spelling matter? [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] vs [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] and [name_u]Billie[/name_u] vs [name_u]Billy[/name_u]? I feel like [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is just more feminine (:
Also, do [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] and [name_u]Billie[/name_u] have similar enough vibes to feel like a child could go by both?
What are your overall thoughts on [name_u]Billie[/name_u] as a name/nickname?

Thanks!

2 Likes

never thought of it before but I love it!

1 Like

[name_u]Billie[/name_u] for [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] / [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] works well, and even though they are of very different styles, I think that as a plus, as she’d be able to use whichever name she feels more comfortable using in any given situation.

1 Like

I think [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is the sweetest nickname for [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] !

1 Like

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u] is charming and lovely!!

1 Like

Billie is such a sweet nickname for Sybil. I don’t think Sybil and Billie have similar vibes though. Sybil for me is very ancient greece and I also have nobility associations for it becaus eof downton abbey whereas Billie seems quite spunky and modern. But they could definitely still work together. I really like classic, elegant names with spunky and playful nicknames.

2 Likes

I quite like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], strongly dislike [name_u]Billie[/name_u]. It’s just not my thing. Works fine though.

1 Like

i really like sybil, and though i’m not a huge fan of billie, or does work! i think it works better with the sybil spelling.

1 Like

Yes! [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!

very sweet! i strongly prefer the sybil spelling and the billie spelling. sibyl just looks odd and unbalanced to me – it diminishes the prettiness of sybil. and billy makes me think of the three billy goats gruff rather than billie holiday, billie eilish, billie jean king etc

sybil and billie do have quite different vibes, but i definitely think a kid could go by both!!

1 Like

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I adore [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u]! That’s so perfect!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Billie[/name_u] as a nn for [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. [name_f]Imo[/name_f] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] has a strong, feisty, almost tomboyish vibe that [name_u]Billie[/name_u] plays into perfectly, so they’re not too far apart at all. I think [name_u]Billie[/name_u] or [name_u]Billy[/name_u] works (since all the letters are there), but I do prefer [name_u]Billie[/name_u] too.

1 Like

I seen people on NB use it before, so it totally works!

1 Like

I feel in Nameberryland it’s easy to see and understand IRL I’m not convinced it will go over well. [name_f]My[/name_f] reasoning (and I’m sure the search feature will back me in this…. In a user who wanted to use the name [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u] and NB users for the most part gave the green light go ahead. Well a few months later same user came back dealing with big name regret because [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u] was getting mostly raised eyebrows and confused looks because the nn didn’t make much sense to most of those they encountered.

1 Like

I absolutely adore the nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u] especially for a girl. [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] isn’t my favourite name but there’s nothing wrong with it. I do agree that it may be a bit too grown up for a child so I think [name_u]Billie[/name_u] would be a good nn. I personally don’t think it’s a stretch at all even spelt [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] it’s fine because the last syllable is pronounced bill. I don’t really have an opinion on which spelling is best. If you don’t have a preferred way I’d probably just go with the most common spelling.

they totally work! so sweet, i really like billie for a girl. they do have very different vibes tho, but i don’t think that’s a bad thing