Thoughts on Sylvie and Claudie?

[name]Hi[/name], berries!

My hubby and I have been around, looking for advice on what to name our little girl. Your advice has been absolutely amazing.
My family is big and loud and Italian, and my husband’s family is big and Hawaiian. My family has been very vocal about their name preferences, and their current favorite for our little girl is [name]Lucia[/name]. But my husband and I want to honor both cultures.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Claudie[/name].
I have a great grandma named [name]Sylvia[/name], and another great grandma named [name]Claudia[/name]. It’d be a fresher way to honor a great grandmother.
My mama and sisters are ecstatic about this (my oldest sister named her first daughter [name]Valentina[/name] after an old great aunt), and would love if we went through with it.

What do you think about the two names?
[name]How[/name] would they sound with a Hawaiian middle name like [name]Alina[/name], [name]Malia[/name], or [name]Leilani[/name]?

Thanks in advanced!

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name]! [name]Claudie[/name] isn’t so much my style but it is still very nice. I think something like [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Leilani[/name] or [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Malia[/name] would be gorgeous! I love the significance behind [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Claudie[/name] as well.

Good luck!

I absolutely adore [name]Claudie[/name]. [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Alina[/name] would be so pretty. I think [name]Sylvie[/name] is nice too, but my favorite is [name]Claudie[/name].

[name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Claudie[/name] are nicknames, [name]IMO[/name]. I can’t imagine an adult wanting to be called [name]Claudie[/name]. [name]Sylvie[/name] perhaps among friends, but that’s not a name I’d want to have to put on my resume. It feels eternally juvenile. [name]Sylvia[/name] and [name]Claudia[/name] as formal names work much better, as they lend themselves both to childhood nicknames AND adult names.

Personally, I like your family’s choice of [name]Lucia[/name]. And [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Leilani[/name] sounds very nice. The alliteration works very well. [name]Sylvia[/name] [name]Leilani[/name] sounds ok too, but I don’t like it as much as [name]Lucia[/name]. Sorry, but I’m not a fan of [name]Claudia[/name] at all.

This attitude really bothers me.

Nothing against you, @lucystone, but generally, the -ie endings are the French variations of the more Spanish/Italian names. [name]Sylvie[/name], [name]Claudie[/name], [name]Aurelie[/name], [name]Amelie[/name], Olivie, [name]Lydie[/name], and [name]Sophie[/name] are no less legitimate than their -ia counterparts. If [name]Natalie[/name] is acceptable, then why isn’t [name]Sylvie[/name] or [name]Sophie[/name]? They’re full names in their own right, and just because they don’t end in -ia doesn’t make them any less complete.

I am not trying to call you out, [name]Lucy[/name], and I’m sure your advice was given in ernest, but I’ve heard this viewpoint many times, and I don’t understand it. The -ie endings are part of the French language, completely legitimate–I guess I just don’t understand why so many find the French variants so cutesy.

Your point is well taken, [name]Ashley[/name], in regards to French names, but the original poster noted that her family is Italian. Therefore, I think lucystone’s opinion is a relevant one, and I agree that in this situation, the original names [name]Sylvia[/name] and [name]Claudia[/name] are the better options. Personally, I prefer [name]Sylvia[/name] over [name]Claudia[/name], as the meaning of [name]Claudia[/name] (“lame, crippled”) is so negative. [name]Sylvie[/name] is a great nickname, in my opinion, but again, I would stick with the original.

I really like [name]Sylvie[/name]. I’m a bit more iffy on [name]Claudie[/name]. I think it’s alright if you pronounce it properly in French but not so much with an Angliphone accent. In general I really like the ‘ie’ variation on these sort of names. I think they sound fresh but still sophisticated and much less dated than the likes of [name]Sylvia[/name] and [name]Claudia[/name].

Mmm, good point about the Italian part. When I read [name]Lucy[/name]'s post it didn’t register to me that that was the point she was trying to make–just that [name]Sylvie[/name] seems cutesy and incomplete in general. Although from when I read the OP, it seemed like her family felt honored by [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Claudie[/name] and would have appreciated the gesture (and had no problem with jumping cultures), and I figured @milky preferred [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Claudie[/name] (or she probably would have posted about [name]Sylvia[/name] and [name]Claudia[/name] instead :)), so if all parties are happy, and @milky prefers [name]Sylvie[/name], why try to suggest [name]Sylvia[/name], when [name]Sylvie[/name] is just as legitimate? Besides, it might be less confusing to have a [name]Sylvie[/name] when there is a well-loved family member named [name]Sylvia[/name] (same for [name]Claudie[/name]/[name]Claudia[/name]). I could understand if there was a problem with family saying [name]Sylvie[/name] rather than [name]Sylvia[/name] since they come from different languages and such, but it doesn’t seem like that’s the problem.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I’m still curious why so many people find the French variants incomplete and too cutesy. (Sorry to overtake your thread, @milky! It wasn’t my intent!)

[name]Both[/name] are lovely. I grew up in a French part of [name]Canada[/name] so [name]Sylvie[/name] to me sounds likea Mom name. [name]Claudie[/name] would get my vote but I can see where to am American who isn’t innundated with French names [name]Sylvie[/name] would seem refreshing.

I’m suggesting the original names because I like them better, and milky asked for opinions.

I really like [name]Sylvie[/name]…I would use it myself… [name]Claudie[/name], not so much. (I like [name]Claudia[/name] slightly more).

I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name] - a beautiful name… don’t care for [name]Claudie[/name] as much - just nms…

They are both very pretty [name]IMO[/name]:slight_smile: