Thoughts on the girl name Ernestine?

Pronounced: [name_m]Ern[/name_m] - Nest - [name_m]Steen[/name_m]

I am not expecting I am just really curious as to what people think about the name, since it is one of my favorites. It is a very old and uncommon name. Thoughts?

Hmm, I love similar names like [name_f]Albertine[/name_f] and [name_f]Marceline[/name_f] but [name_f]Ernestine[/name_f] is a little too clunky feeling even for me.

3 Likes

There’s something unexpectedly appealing about it to me; kind of pleasing to say. Maybe a bit clunky, but I don’t mind that here

2 Likes

[name_m]Ah[/name_m] okay, I don’t know why I like it so much. Thank you for replying!

Thank you for replying, I somewhat agree that it can be a bit clunky.

honestly i really like it!! i put it as my notd earlier this year. i see it as a light green color and that makes the name even more pretty to me.

2 Likes

I see it as light green too @sandpiper - most E names are a shade of green to me. :leaves:

I quite like it, but prefer it as a middle to make sure the full name used.

2 Likes

This is one of those names that on its own is a little to clunky for me but with a cool nickname I think I would love it.

2 Likes

Omg yes!!! Most E names are green to me as well!

1 Like

I like it a lot, the nn options of Ness, Teeny, [name_f]Tina[/name_f], and [name_m]Ernie[/name_m] are cute! If [name_f]Geraldine[/name_f] works so can [name_f]Ernestine[/name_f].
On the other hand, I immediately thought of the “Ernest” movies…
I wouldn’t use it for my future kids, but I would for a side character in a story.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Ernestine[/name_f]!

2 Likes

It’s definitely on the clunky side, but I love the nickname potential - Ness, [name_f]Netty[/name_f], maybe even [name_m]Ernie[/name_m]?

Some feminised male names work for me and some don’t, and I don’t really think there’s any rhyme or reason. Eg [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] and [name_f]Thomasine[/name_f] look like girls names in my mind but [name_f]Jamesina[/name_f] looks rather silly. It’s probably just about familiarity. I guess what I’m saying is that [name_f]Ernestine[/name_f] is probably a grower!

1 Like

I like it, I can see why others find it clunky but I personally think it sounds elegant (and I don’t even particularly like the name Ernest). If you’re worried it might be too much though you could always use it as a middle name instead, that might be more wearable.

2 Likes

I can’t say I love it. I’m not a fan of [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] either, which I find rather clunky and unappealing. [name_f]Ernestine[/name_f] also lacks many known namesakes to make it familiar to people.

I would also ask how you feel about “Ernie” as a nickname because that’s what people will probably use.

1 Like

I absolutely love [name_f]Ernestine[/name_f]!

1 Like

I think [name_m]Ernie[/name_m] would be cute, but maybe I am biased because I have met a little bit named [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] with the name [name_m]Ernie[/name_m] —- I thought it was adorable