Thoughts on the name Amalthea

Amalthea (am-əl-thee-ə) is one of my favorite names of all time. I absolutely adore it.

First of all, it’s Greek in origin which is my ethnic heritage. It has a similar essence and sound as [name_f]Althea[/name_f], [name_f]Anthea[/name_f], and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] - three of my favorite girl’s names.
The name Amalthea means “tender goddess” in Greek. Amalthea was a nymph and the foster mother of the infant-god [name_m]Zeus[/name_m], who brought him up on the milk of her goat and sheilded him from harm and from his wrathful father, Cronos.

Second, is the science reference:
Amalthea is represented as the constellation Capra—the group of stars surrounding [name_f]Capella[/name_f] on the arm of Auriga the Charioteer. Amalthea is also the third moon of [name_m]Jupiter[/name_m] in order of distance from the planet. It was discovered on 9 [name_f]September[/name_f] 1892, by [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] [name_m]Barnard[/name_m].

Lastly, the Lady Amalthea is the name that is given to the unicorn in [name_m]Peter[/name_m] S. Beagle’s “The Last Unicorn” one of my favorite books and favorite movies as a child. It tells the story of a mythical unicorn who goes on a journey and fights an evil power to free “her people”. It’s really one of the all time great works of fantasy fiction.

All that, and you get the nickname “[name_f]Thea[/name_f]” and “[name_f]Amy[/name_f]”. I also love the nn “[name_f]Molly[/name_f]” for Amalthea because they share a similar vowel sound and for the character [name_f]Molly[/name_f] [name_m]Grue[/name_m] in from “The Last Unicorn”.

Anyway, this name is not currently anywhere to be found on Nameberry, so I thought I add this post in case anyone searches for it in the future. I very much hope I have the opportunity to take this name out of the stars and into the world.

I am most familiar with your first reference. I always like Amalthea (though somehow I prefer the even more complicated spelling Amaltheia), and seeing it here in the forum is a pleasant surprise. Amalthea [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] is also a stunning combo. I hope you get to use it. :slight_smile: