Thoughts on the name Beren? (middle names too)

It is currently my top boy’s name, I am not expecting but I always like to have some baby names.

So I was discussing with my friend about the name, she said it sounded like a dog’s name. I wasn’t too offended we have very different tastes in names. I was just wondering what anyone else thought.

I quite like Beren [name]Amadeus[/name] [name]Samuel[/name] as a first and two middles, as you can tell I like more ‘quirky’ names.

[name]How[/name] is Beren pronounced? Because I automatically say BARE-en, like “barren”, which I wouldn’t exactly think is the best association at all. :frowning: I do love [name]Amadeus[/name] [name]Samuel[/name] as a MN combo, though–I think that’s fabulous!

Good luck!

That spelling makes me think of Berenstain Bears
I prefer [name]Baron[/name]

I also thought of Berestein Bears and [name]Baron[/name]/[name]Barren[/name]. To me, this just looks like a kr8tiv way to spell [name]Baron[/name]. I so love [name]Amadeus[/name] [name]Samuel[/name] though, very cool. I would really like this [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Amadeus[/name] Beren or [name]Amadeus[/name] Beren [name]Samuel[/name].

Whoa, I didn’t even think of that! I’ve had a crush on [name]Baron[/name] for forever, and that still sounds close to “barren”–[name]Baron[/name] is a much more attractive option for me. I would love to see [name]Baron[/name] [name]Amadeus[/name] [name]Samuel[/name]!

I immediately thought of J.R.R. Tolkien’s character, Beren, from the beautiful love story of Beren and Luthien, fully told in “The Silmarillion.” Is this where you got the name? If so, I’d love to see you use it. You might have to tell the story when introducing your son, though. Beren was a mortal man who loved an Elf-maiden, Luthien, and through all kinds of suffering and even death they were finally allowed to return to Middle-earth as mortal man and wife. For those familiar with “The [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings” but not “The Silmarillion,” Beren and Luthien were distant ancestors of both Aragorn and [name]Arwen[/name], and in some ways Aragorn and [name]Arwen[/name]'s love story was a replay of the story of Beren and Luthien. And Tolkien himself so identified with his story that if you visit the graves of himself and his wife, you will see these words: [name]Edith[/name] [name]Mary[/name] Tolkien, Luthien, 1889-1971. [name]John[/name] [name]Ronald[/name] [name]Reuel[/name] Tolkien, Beren, 1892-1973.

[name]Ah[/name] Now I love it! I’ve read all the [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings books and The Hobbit and a few other things by Tolkien but not The Silmarillion (not yet).

Well, now I take back not liking it earlier, I like it now. :slight_smile:

I had the same “is this baron misspelled” reaction but I don’t care for baron, it’s like Dauphine or [name]Princess[/name] to me. [name]Donald[/name] trump named his kid [name]Baron[/name] I think specifically because it sounded like a title so I think it’s a little contrived

@ashthedreamer I personally pronouce it as [name]Bear[/name]-[name]Ren[/name] but I understand it reminding you of ‘berren’ and thanks, I really think names like [name]Amadeus[/name] should be brought back :slight_smile:

@nat108 I don’t mind [name]Baron[/name] but I do prefer Beren

@dantea I’ve never really heard much about the Berestein Bears, I really like the other options for swapping the names around, thanks and I’m glad you like it now you know it’s from [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings

@ashthedreamer quite a lot of you guys have said about [name]Baron[/name] instead I like it too but maybe not as much but thanks

@auroradawn yes it is originally taken from the Tolkien story, although I’ve not personally read it (I do mean to right this by reading his books) but yes that is where the name is originally from, I’m glad you recognised it

@thexbelle I think that’s why I’m not as keen on it being [name]Baron[/name], just because it is a title as well as a name (and I have to say I like your taste in names in your tagline)

I like Beren! Reminds me of the Dutch boys name [name]Berend[/name], which is pronounced pretty much like bear-end so it doesn’t really work so well in the English language. Beren [name]Amadeus[/name] [name]Samuel[/name] is a great combo.

Thanks for the compliment! What do you think about Bérenger (the masculine version of Bérengère)?
Depending on where you live there might be prn issues but you can listen to it here You can listen to it here: Bérenger Saunière pronunciation: How to pronounce Bérenger Saunière in French

I too think as Beren as a creative way to spell [name]Baron[/name]. If Beren is pronounced as [name]Baron[/name], I would pick the more classic spelling. Though with your middle name choice (which I like) the name [name]Baron[/name]/Beren almost sounds like a title rather than a name!

I guess my hesitation is that it sounds like the word “barren” (which, as one who had fertility trouble, is a word with extremely negative connotations for me). Also, the title [name]Baron[/name] - if you don’t like the associations, it may be a deal-breaker.

@Eskay I’ve not heard of the name [name]Berend[/name], but I understand it not working as well in English and thank you

@thetxbelle I do like it better with an accent listening to the link, it certainly gives it the sound like how I would personally pronounce Beren but it’s a possibility, although there may be an issue with people saying it right, but thank you for the link

@jad311 I’m not personally as keen on [name]Baron[/name] and also I pronounce it a little differently although it may be a problem for others but I think [name]Baron[/name] [name]Amadeus[/name] [name]Samuel[/name] does sound like a lengthy title, perhaps a different MN combo would work better with that but thanks

@phillipswife I am a little put off by it sounding like “[name]Barren[/name]” it’s not the kind of connotations you want to give a child then again the name means ‘bear-like’ and I’m not sure if that would too great either, but thank you

This exactly. I think [name]Barren[/name]. That said, I do kind of like the flow of Beren [name]Amadeus[/name] [name]Samuel[/name].

It makes me think about the Berenstain bears :slight_smile:

Thanks for your comment Auroradawn. My son Beren will be two years old this month. He was indeed named after Tolkien’s Beren, a strong, brave, yet romantic, love-guided figure. Many of the values that we hope our son will encapsulate in his lifetime. Through my Husband, i fell in love with the romanticism of Tolkien. He’d had the name in mind since he read about Beren & Luthien over two decades ago. It is pronounced Be-ren, we do get a lot of people get it wrong, which is of course the price you pay for an unusual name. The most common mistake made is people calling/writing his name down as it’s rhyme-sake “Derryn”, which is a tad annoying. But overall we get a lot of compliments on his name. A name we hope he appreciates the symbology of when he’s older.

It immediately rang the Tolkien bell for me too, but honestly most people won’t have delved that deeply into LOTR, let alone read the Silmarillion, to know.

I think it’s homology with [name]Darren[/name] will help it seem name-y to the uninitiated. Perhaps people will think of ‘barren,’ but I think just as many will think of ‘baron,’ which is more positive.