Thoughts on the name Flynn in the U.S.?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I just had a little boy less than 2 weeks ago and we named him “[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]” but I’ve been having second thoughts about the name. It’s not very common in the U.S. and I recently noticed that the name has “[name_u]Lynn[/name_u]” in it, which I’d never noticed before but once I saw it, I couldn’t unsee it and now I’m wondering if others see/hear that and if it makes the name less masculine? It doesn’t help that I knew a mean [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] in high school either! :frowning: But my Dad’s middle name is [name_m]Lyndon[/name_m], so I’m trying to focus on that. [name_f]My[/name_f] other son is [name_u]Austin[/name_u] so I want to make sure the name matches that in strength/masculinity but I’m not sure if it does?

I would love people’s thoughts on the name, especially in the U.S. seeing as it’s not very common. I’d love to know what men think of the name too if anyone’s husband is willing to give their opinion? [name_f]Do[/name_f] they think it sounds masculine? I’m not sure if I should just keep the name and hope I can forget about these things over time or if I should change it to [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]…the only other name we had. I liked [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] too but my husband doesn’t. Changing it does make me nervous too though because it sounds like we might need a court order to change it. I should add that my other kids have been calling him [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] so I’d feel bad if I changed it but I also want to be comfortable with the name. Help!!!

So my questions are:

1. What do you think of the name [name_u]Flynn[/name_u], especially if you’re in the U.S.?
  2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think that [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] is a masculine sounding name? Did you see/hear the [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] in it before I pointed it out?
  3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think the name sounds good with his brother [name_u]Austin[/name_u] or do you think I need a stronger name?
  4. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer the name [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] (or possibly [name_m]Ethan[/name_m]) and think I should change it?

Other info: Our last name is [name_m]Holmes[/name_m] and the siblings are [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Elle[/name_f]) and [name_u]Austin[/name_u].

Thank you so much in advance!!!

1 Like

I’m in the UK so I can’t really give a perspective on the US but I think popularity is similar.
I think it sounds masculine and would assume a [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] was a boy. I didn’t notice the [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] until you said and I think even though it is there it’s a good way to honour your dad. It sounds good with your other kids’ names. I think it’ll also be confusing for them to have to get used to a new name. I also prefer [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] to [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] personally.
At the end of the day though, he’s your child so if his name is really bothering you it should be simple enough to change it.

2 Likes

I’m in the US. I see absolutely nothing wrong with [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]. It’s a masculine name to me, and I didn’t notice [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] until you said something. Most people here would recognize it as a boy’s name from Tangled. Also, knowing your dad’s name is [name_m]Lyndon[/name_m], I think this is a great way to honor him while still giving your son his own name.

I would keep it, but it is up to you. If you do change it, [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] could still be a nickname, which would allow the kids to have a familiar name to continue calling him.

2 Likes

I’m in the US. I absolutely love [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]! So bright and outdoorsy! It’s definitely 100% masculine sounding to me! I think it goes great with [name_u]Austin[/name_u], so I wouldn’t change it!

2 Likes

I’m in the US!

1. I love the name [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]! It’s been a favorite of mine since Tangled came out when I was in middle school.
  2. Absolutely! It’s associated with a Disney [name_m]Prince[/name_m] for me, so that’s quite masculine! I also don’t find [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] to be feminine (unisex, rather) so that doesn’t bother me either. I never noticed it.
  3. Flynn and [name_u]Austin[/name_u] are perfect together! Both sound like rough and tumble boys with a heart of gold.
  4. No, I much prefer [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] over [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] or [name_m]Ethan[/name_m].
2 Likes

I think you should watch Tangled! [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] [name_m]Rider[/name_m] is a handsome, charming character that might help you have a positive, masculine association with the name!
I didn’t see [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] and I still don’t, really. and even though I wouldn’t see an issue with someone naming their girl [name_u]Flynn[/name_u], I don’t see it as a feminine name at all.
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u] is really nice with [name_u]Austin[/name_u]. Both are short, easily recognizable, and have a nice mix of soft and strong.
if you weren’t convinced of [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] before he was born, or you’re thinking about a different specific name, it might be worth reconsidering. if not, I would keep focusing on the many positives of the name until the doubts fade away (they will!!!). It really is such a great name, & congratulations Mama!

2 Likes

I remember the actor [name_m]Errol[/name_m] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] (showing my age). He was one of the swashbuckling heroes of the silver screen. He was all male. I like [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] as a name. It was also the surname of a great Aussie hero [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] who was responsible for setting up the [name_u]Royal[/name_u] Flying [name_u]Doctor[/name_u] Service which serves the vast outback. [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] is a great manly name.

2 Likes

I agree with everyone else: [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] is a fantastic, totally masculine name. I’m in Australia, where it’s a little more used (although it’s by no means common) and I adore it. If we have a son next it would absolutely be a name we’d consider.

1 Like

I’m not in the US, but I assure you, it isn’t really common anywhere.
~ I think it’s spunky and cool.
~ I didn’t see [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] in it, and I know a lot of Lynns.
~ The names sound good together.
~ I really like it, definitely more than [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] or [name_m]Ethan[/name_m].

1 Like

I love [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]! It seems all boy to me, and the connection to [name_m]Lyndon[/name_m] makes it even better. I also think it goes well with [name_u]Austin[/name_u]. Of course you can change it if you want (and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]’s a nice name), but I see no problem with [name_u]Flynn[/name_u].

1 Like

I’m in the U.S, and there’s nothing wrong with [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]. The connection to [name_m]Lyndon[/name_m] is wonderful, and it definitely goes with [name_u]Austin[/name_u]. I see no problem with the name [name_u]Flynn[/name_u].

1 Like

I also think of [name_m]Errol[/name_m] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u], and [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] [name_m]Rider[/name_m] from Tangled. I think it’s very masculine and a nice nod to [name_m]Lyndon[/name_m]! Works great with your other kids’ names, too. Congratulations on your son :smiley:

1 Like
  1. I think it’s fine. I my associations with the name as [name_f]Colleen[/name_f] Ballinger’s son, [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] [name_m]Rider[/name_m], and [name_m]Errol[/name_m] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u].
  2. Yes, I find it masculine. No, I do not see [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] in the name and even if I had, that’s a unisex name so it wouldn’t faze me.
  3. Austin and [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] sound great together!
  4. I prefer [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] over [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_m]Ethan[/name_m].
1 Like
  1. I love [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]! Some boy names contain lyn but I don’t think that makes them less masculine such as [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]. I also love [name_m]Lyndon[/name_m] and think it’s a nice association. I’m in the US and I’ve seen [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] come up for sure. [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Stefani[/name_f] named her son [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] and I honestly I love the [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] part more than [name_m]Apollo[/name_m]!
  2. Didnt notice the lyn in [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] honestly. And even if I did I could never picture [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] for a girl, it’s all boy for me!
  3. I absolutely love [name_u]Austin[/name_u]. It may be a middle name for our boy coming in [name_u]December[/name_u]. You have great taste! [name_u]Austin[/name_u] and [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] are really amazing together!
  4. I dont care for [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] is super popular and not as nice. These names also sound too much like [name_u]Austin[/name_u]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] also ends in n, theres something more distinctive about it.

I’m a fan of [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] personally!

1 Like

I’m in the U.S. and think [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] is a good, simple yet unique name for a boy and I don’t think it sounds feminine. I think [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] and [name_u]Austin[/name_u] sound nice together!

1 Like

It’s handsome and sounds rugged and sturdy!

1 Like

Naming is hard and it’s easy to second guess it in the post-partum period. But I think [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] is a great name! I live in mid-west US and find it very handsome. It’s not too common and yet not out there either. I think it goes perfectly with big bro and having [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] in there is a total non-issue. While [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] and perfectly good names- [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] is much cooler in my opinion!

1 Like

Thank you so much girls! I really appreciate all of your responses! It’s very reassuring to know that most of you like the name [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] and you think it sounds masculine! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s similar in strength/masculinity to [name_u]Austin[/name_u] (his brother) and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] (the other names we were considering) or do you feel it’s a lot softer? I want him to grow up thinking that he has a strong enough name and I hope people around him, especially kids his age see it that way too.

It’s also good to know that you think [name_u]Austin[/name_u] and [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] go well together as brothers because I had got it in my head that maybe [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] or [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] sounded better with [name_u]Austin[/name_u] as they are similar sounding names but maybe they are too similar?

They all have a similar strength to me. [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] is my favourite out of [name_m]Ethan[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], and [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] - by himself and with [name_u]Austin[/name_u].

2 Likes

Did you keep [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]? We named our boy [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] [name_u]Howard[/name_u] Tallman. And had similar doubts but they are fading.