Thoughts on the name Isis...

I heard this name and it has started to grow on me…just not sure if it is ‘too out there’ and what middle name would you use? I thought either [name]Isis[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] or [name]Isis[/name] [name]Grace[/name] would be pretty. Are there any other names that you think it would go with it as a middle name? What type of girl do you envision when you hear the name ‘[name]Isis[/name]’? Thank you in advance for your thoughts and input on this name! =)

is it pronounced is-is? I’m not sure yet… I don’t dislike it though…I’ll keep saying it and let ya know…

I went to school with a girl named [name]Isis[/name]. It’s pronounced ice-iss. I met her in 6th grade and it never occurred to me (or any other students) that [name]Isis[/name] was a strange name. She was a super nice girl, and really smart (I think she was the salutatorian).

kansasgirl, did you hear it from my post? We are 95% sure if we have a girl in [name]September[/name] that her name will be [name]Isis[/name] [name]Marie[/name].

I’m going to be selfish and hope that you don’t name your daughter [name]Isis[/name]!! :wink:

It’s not so far out there as to be a made up name, but it is sort of loaded. [name]Isis[/name] was one of the main goddesses in Egyptian culture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[name]Isis[/name]). It is also the name of a wonderful [name]Bob[/name] [name]Dylan[/name] song (- YouTube).

I imagine a long haired girl who is sort of aloof, extremely intelligent, but also graceful and a little mysterious.

I imagine her nickname being [name]Icey[/name] (The name is pronounced Ice-Iss) and I’ve never heard anyone mispronounce it.

Oh I like it alot, and it’s definitely not popular, well I mean overdone…So I know the poster above is going to use it, but I’m sure ya’ll don’t live near each other! And I’m sure there probably won’t be more than one other [name]Isis[/name] in your child’s school growing up! I say use it! I think it’s beautiful!

Moxielove, I hadn’t seen your post I had heard this name a few days ago on the t.v. and thought it sounded awesome! =) I don’t know if we will end up using, DH isn’t fully on board with it, but I thought it was a beautiful name and I love the combo, [name]Isis[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name].

I am always torn on whether I look more traditional names or names that aren’t as common. I think I just need to be like the nursery rhyme ‘old mother hubbard’ “old mother hubbard who lived in a shoe, she had so many children she didn’t know what to do”…then I could use all the names that I want to use!

Thank you all for your great insights and posts! Much appreciated!!!

LOL - my husband also isn’t 100% on board! That said, he hasn’t been beating down my door with other suggestions.

(And of course I was joking about not using the name…)

I like [name]Isis[/name], I would put a more common middle name with it, [name]Isis[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is gorgeous :slight_smile:

I love the name. It was on my list - but it just does not work with our “Z” last name. I’m a [name]Bob[/name] [name]Dylan[/name] fan which is where I knew the name from - but I really like it!