Thoughts on the name Lilith

Hi berries!

I previously posted about the names [name_f]Anna[/name_f] (my mom’s name), [name_f]Mary[/name_f] (husband’s mom’s name) and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] (a lifelong favorite of mine). You were all so helpful! We are greatly considering all of your suggestions

Since that post, however, my husband has developed an obsession with the name [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], to the point where it’s almost the only name he wants to consider! He thinks it is a very bold and strong sounding name with an interesting feeling to it.

I love the name [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and think that [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is a more mature sounding alternative that can have the nickname [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. However… does anyone know the story behind the name [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]? Apparently the meaning of the name is “night monster,” and [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is the name of a demon Jewish folklore.

I like certain [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] stories I am hearing: that she was [name_m]Adam[/name_m]’s first wife and was considered the “first feminist” because she refused to play a subservient role to [name_m]Adam[/name_m]. However, the part where she proceeds to become a demon who haunts children doesn’t sit well with me.

What are your thoughts? Would you choose/ not choose this name because of the mythology association?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

3 Likes

I love your names, I have [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] on my list now and I have an [name_f]Annie[/name_f]. [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] to me sounds fine and I like the th sound but her story in history is not so good and I wouldn’t use it for that reason.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I can’t separate [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] from its negative connotations, so I personally wouldn’t use it. But given its rising popularity, I’m guessing that’s not the case for most people. [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is another name that’s soared despite a negative backstory. I imagine that most people wouldn’t associate the name with its history, especially once they associate it with a live human.

1 Like

Lilith is apart of Jewish folklore and the story is not positive. [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] was supposedly “[name_m]Adams[/name_m] first wife” before [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. She thought that she was equal to [name_m]Adam[/name_m] but he disagreed so she ran away. 3 angels were sent to find her but she refused to go with them so they told her they would “kill 100 of her children” and so it is believed that in revenge she takes the lives of unborn children and causes stillbirths and miscarriages. (None of this is in the bible or the Torah) I don’t think it’s a very good association to have, plus there are so many bitter “[name_f]Lil[/name_f]” names. It’s just so dark I don’t think it’s a very good idea to name your child that.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining more of the story. Definitely not a pleasant story to be associated with! I think I will see if I can find another “[name_f]Lil[/name_f]” alternative that my husband might like. :slight_smile:

Lilith does have some negative associations but i think soundwise it’s delightful

1 Like

Unfortunately, the demon is the first thing I think of. I would personally advise against it.

1 Like

It’s a beautiful name but because of the meaning behind I’m not a really fan. I can only imagine an evil little girl named [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]. Sorry :frowning: :pensive:

1 Like

Until I went on naming sites, I had never heard of the negative connotation of [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]. I like it, but I don’t particularly care for mythology or links to mythology so wouldn’t choose or not choose a name based on it.

2 Likes

I don’t care for the sound, but I don’t like many -th ending names. I also don’t think the mythological association is great. The three other names you’re considering are all gorgeous, though.

What about [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]? Combines some aspects of [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. You and/or your husband might like it.

2 Likes

Personally, I think [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is totally badass. I can see how the story would bother some but I’d focus on the feminist side of the legend (and how deviant women have been persecuted in society for a long time—“well behaved women rarely make history!” :stuck_out_tongue:). It’s a strong middle contender for me.

7 Likes

I like [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]. Most people where I live (the UK) wouldn’t know about the mythological story of [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] (I had never heard of it before joining Nameberry). So for me, personally, it’s not a deal-breaker. But if the story is better known where you are, then perhaps it would be more of an issue?

3 Likes

I’m not crazy about names ending in the “th” sound, but if you like it…go for it. Personally I love [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. It is so uncommon and beautiful!

1 Like

I think [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is a good name but I think that if you relate the name to a demon then maybe start considering other options. Though if you both love it and do not mind the demon [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] then go for it! Here are some other options that are similar to [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]:
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilliana[/name_f]
Also just [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is a lovely name!

2 Likes

I have to say my first association was positive—with the late 90s music festival (I’m giving away my age, lol). But wow, I learned something new from this thread, and that is a pretty dark story associated with it. I personally love [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] from your initial list. If you’re looking for alternatives similar to [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], here are some ideas:

Lilibeth
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f]
[name_f]Liliana[/name_f] (another vote)
[name_f]Liana[/name_f]

I think you could lean into the feminist/alternative use of the name, but personally, it would bother me to use a name that not only coincidently shares a negative meaning in major faith tradition, but is actually directly taken from it. Whatever you decide, it’s great to take the time to learn and consider the feedback here—as I said, I learned something new myself.

1 Like

I have zero negative associations to [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] I think it’s an awesome name. I like the idea of [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] [name_f]Maryanne[/name_f].

1 Like

I know the folklore around the name and it never bothered me until I saw the sculpture of [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] of by [name_f]Kiki[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]. It’s a hard pass from me these days :grimacing:

1 Like

Lilith reminds me of the devil unfortunately. I like the sound of it but it’s connotations are unfortunate.

1 Like

I can’t come at [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] due to the story behind it (and also the character in Supernatural). I don’t really like how it sounds either (I’m just not big on [name_f]Lil[/name_f]- names).

1 Like

I Googled it… I see what you mean :flushed: Nope!

1 Like