Thoughts on the name Mox

Thoughts on the name Mox for a boy. Is it strong enough to stand alone as a first name?

So I honestly think the question would always be “oh, what’s that short for?” But, at the same time, [name_u]Max[/name_u] has stood on its own for a long while and it’s only a vowel of difference, at the risk of him being asked “do you mean “Max”?”

You’d need to pair it well, maybe with something like [name_m]Innes[/name_m], [name_m]Graham[/name_m], [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] or [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] that is softer yet masculine so as to not overwhelm it (as I feel something like [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] or [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] or [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] would).

However, it is your name so you can do what you want! Those are just initial thoughts/concerns I would have about potential name confusions.

It reads as a [name_f]Moxie[/name_f] nickname or a [name_u]Max[/name_u] / [name_u]Fox[/name_u] misspelling to me. I do prefer those other three to Mox! It feels incomplete, but I almost like it.

1 Like

It makes me think of amoxicillin :flushed:

Not my favorite, but maybe you would like some fun variant of [name_u]Max[/name_u] instead?

[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]
[name_m]Maximus[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxen[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximillian[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxton[/name_m]

Hmm… I feel like even though it seems like it should work, because it’s kind of a cross between [name_u]Max[/name_u] & [name_u]Fox[/name_u], somehow it just doesn’t ring quite right to my ear… Maybe because it sounds like the word “mocks”, which doesn’t have the greatest connotations?

I do really like both [name_u]Max[/name_u] & [name_u]Fox[/name_u], and also [name_m]Maxim[/name_m] / [name_m]Maxen[/name_m]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] something like [name_m]Maxon[/name_m] / [name_m]Maxson[/name_m] might bring in the “o” sound?