Thoughts on the name Safia?

Hiya

What do you think of [name]Safia[/name]?

I like the original spelling because it alerts readers to the fact this is not just a twist on [name]Sophia[/name], but is a name from a foreign language. [name]Safiyya[/name] LOOKS pretty cool. On the down side, it sounds almost identical to [name]Sophia[/name], and everyone and their brother is going to assume you loved [name]Sophia[/name], hated how popular it has become, and tweaked it.

My friend named her daughter Safiya, and it’s pronounced saf-EYE-ah. She says she chose to add a “y” because her mother, a grade one teacher, said that it will be easier for her to learn to spell her name if she can sound it out. Her daughter’s name gets mistaken for [name]Sophia[/name] a lot though.

It looks and sounds to me like a mix of [name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Sapphire[/name]. Confusing!

When you put it that way, I realize I like [name]Sapphire[/name] better! It is NOT confusing! (And beautiful if a little over the top.)

1 Like

I totally agree with this.
[name]Sapphire[/name] would be a nice alternative! It would separate it from [name]Sophia[/name], as well.

I like the original spelling because it alerts readers to the fact this is not just a twist on Sophia, but is a name from a foreign language. Safiyya LOOKS pretty cool.

Agreed, though I’d question the term “original” when we’re talking about a name from a language with a different alphabet…

I’m always one to encourage stretching the comfort zone. Arabic stands beyond Japanese and [name]Indian[/name] in terms of acceptance in English-speaking countries.

I love [name]Safia[/name], though I prefer the original spelling [name]Safiyya[/name]. I love many Arabic feminine names.

I honestly prefer [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] or [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I agree, [name_f]Safiyya[/name_f] looks pretty cool, and has a lovely meaning :heart_eyes: [name_f]Safia[/name_f] is also nice! I think of [name_f]Safiya[/name_f] Nygaard, who is also pretty cool! I think she helps to make the name a bit more familiar to a broader group of people as well.