Thoughts on the name Sylvi?

What comes to mind when you hear the name Sylvi?
([name]Do[/name] you like the name, and what kind of girl do you picture – ie: looks, nationality, behavior, whatever!)

Does it feel “complete” enough as a name to stand on its own (I would have to really sell my husband on the name [name]Sylvia[/name] nn Sylvi/[name]Sylvie[/name]).

Also, does it bug you to see it spelled without the ‘e’ on the end ([name]Sylvie[/name])? The name Sylvi is in our family tree spelled this way, so I’d like to stay true to that, but wouldn’t necessarily have to.

Lastly, would Sylvi “go” with sisters [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name]? We have chosen Scandinavian/[name]German[/name] names thus far, and while I do have a distant family member (Swedish) named Sylvi, my husband thinks the name sounds way more Spanish, Italian or French than anything else. Which in itself isn’t a big deal, but I just wouldn’t want the name sticking out like a sore thumb next to [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name].

Thanks!

Feel free to vote on my name list: Vote on Name Lists at BabyNames.com

I have a hard time imagining a [name]Sylvie[/name]/Sylvi, but I suppose I imagine looks being somewhat olive complected, fine-boned and long hair, quiet and serious but maybe having a fun side with music. But I mean, if some of those things weren’t true it would hardly shock me.

I am fine with [name]Sylvie[/name]/Sylvi as a stand alone…

Well, it does kind of bug me for the e to not be there. I have some Scandinavian heritage so I see how it could end up spelled Sylvi up there, and honestly to get into your last question, I don’t mind [name]Sylvie[/name] with [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name] but Sylvi almost makes more sense on some levels. It looks more [name]German[/name]/Scandinavian to me. I don’t know that that’s a reaction most people would have. It sticks out in that it’s less familiar (with either spelling), but not horribly and to me the ethnicity’s not so big. I don’t know where you’re writing from but in the US I think Scandinavian and [name]German[/name] names are kind of merged into a pan-Northern European thing. Granted [name]Sylvie[/name]'s French but not at all implausible on a [name]German[/name] or Scandinavian child. Outside of the US even these cultures have all exchanged names (well, [name]German[/name] and Scandinavian using French more than the other way, and I’m more familiar of [name]German[/name] using Scandinavian - especially [name]Ingrid[/name] and [name]Sonja[/name] - than the other way, but I could be wrong).

I think maybe it’s best to spell it [name]Sylvie[/name] to save her some headache. At the same time I think it’s not a name a lot of people know, so they might always ask her how to spell it anyway which opens up Sylvi. [name]Sylvia[/name] might be more prone to get spelled right off the bat but you say you’re not willing to consider it. (I love [name]Sylvia[/name] and think it fits even better with [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name]).

Spelling it Sylvi to stay true to family spelling, and putting it in the middle while giving her an easy-to-spell first, might be another option.

I prefer [name]Sylvie[/name], but if it’s a family name, then I can let go of the e :slight_smile:

To be honest, yes, Sylvi spelled without the “e” bugs me (I’d pronounce it with a long “i”), but I [name]LOVE[/name] the traditional [name]Sylvie[/name] with [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name]!

Thank you for your thoughtful responses!
I have to agree that [name]Sylvie[/name] might be easier to live with, which is definitely a consideration.

I should have clarified my original post better…I don’t mind the name [name]Sylvia[/name] with the nn Sylvi/[name]Sylvie[/name], but my husband does not like it nearly as much. I think I could sell him on [name]Sylvia[/name], it does feel a little more complete to me. But at the same time, I have always had the opinion to name your child what you want to call them (why bother naming her [name]Sylvia[/name] if we never intend to call her [name]Sylvia[/name]?) But that said, I like having the option of calling her [name]Sylvia[/name] if that ends up feeling like a more fitting name for her!

I prefer [name]Sylvie[/name]. The spelling Sylvi bothers me, it looks incomplete. However, if it is an honoring name then that changes everything! It’s fine then.

:slight_smile:

Bumping for more opinions…these threads get buried fast lately!

I love [name]Sylvie[/name]! I actually like it quite a bit better than [name]Sylvia[/name]. As far as the Sylvi spelling goes, so long as you think people will pronounce it right, I think it’s fine. Everyone has to spell their name now-a-days. I mean my name is [name]Whitney[/name], and I have to spell it for people all the time, even though it isn’t particularly difficult to spell. My main concern is that if someone (say teacher or boss) sees that name, will they be able to pronounce it correctly. I think Sylvi is pretty easy to figure out, so that should be fine. The first picture that comes to my mind is a girl with long, brown, softly curled hair, wearing a blue dress with a blue bow on her head. :slight_smile: Not sure why, that is just the picture that goes with this name. That may be why [name]Sylvie[/name] isn’t quite at the top of my list. The picture is just a bit too girly. I’m a tomboy, and am kinda hoping that if I have a girl, she will be too :slight_smile: I still love the name though. Very sweet with [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name].