Thoughts on the name Tebbo?

I’m not married or expecting any children, just wondering what you all think!

My father’s older brother (and one of his closest friends) is named Tebbo. He was named after his grandpa, my great grandpa. I’ve googled and googled and never found Tebbo anywhere accept as a surname, until I came across ‘[name_m]Thibault[/name_m]’ here, which is pronounced “Tee-bow” (Tebbo as I know it is pronounced TEH-bow), which makes perfect sense because my father’s side of the family is basically [name_m]German[/name_m]. I was just curious as to what you all think of using Tebbo as a first name for a boy? My dad told me that if either my sister or I had been born boys, we would have been named Tebbo, after him. I’ve always been determined to hopefully name one of my future children Tebbo, but know that it’s definitely unique and to many people strange…though my uncle is one of the most charming and witty people, and I don’t think he had any trouble with the name when he was growing up (granted, he grew up in the 60s and 70s…he’s 61? now).

If I was to use Tebbo, I’d pair it with something relaxed and familiar like [name_m]John[/name_m] or [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_m]Art[/name_m]. (Tebbo [name_m]John[/name_m] is my favorite). I’ve also considered how my boyfriend would react to me wanting to name a child Tebbo (we haven’t exactly talked about kids but I can imagine hahaha…), and I have considered Tebbo as a middle name, though I really want it as a first, to honor my father’s desire to honor his brother, and for me to honor my favorite uncle (My uncle has no kids of his own, so my sister and I have always been like his kids as well).

So what do you think Berries? Yay or nay? I’m up for suggestions and would love to hear your opinions!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

My opinion is that if your boyfriend liked it, it would be fine.

If he didn’t like it, it would be time to rethink, because personally I believe that both partners should be fully on board with a child’s name, regardless of family tradition on either side. If he couldn’t come at Tebbo, maybe you could suggest alternative spellings with more history behind them such as [name_m]Tybalt[/name_m] (Shakespearean) or [name_m]Thibault[/name_m] (as you mention above), or similar-sounding names.

Best of luck!

Tebbo [name_m]John[/name_m] is awesome! Use it! ^^
Children are given so many strange and uncommon names these days, I honestly don’t think Tebbo would stand out as much as he would if he was born 15 years ago. It’s so meaningful to you, and I love the sound and playful vibe it has, I just don’t see a better option for you :slight_smile:

My first thought when I read the thread title is that it sounds like a brand of athletic wear, like chunky rubber sandals or brightly colored waterproof bags. After reading the whole story behind it, I can actually see Tebbo being usable, but I’m also a sucker for sentimental names. [name_m]Thibault[/name_m] is a lot more dignified — using that as a formal name, with Tebbo as a family nickname, could be a compromise if your boyfriend isn’t totally on board.

Tebbo sounds to similar to Tubbo for me…

It looks like a made-up spelling of [name_m]Thibault[/name_m] for me, sorry.
I would go with [name_m]Thibault[/name_m].

Same, my first thought was Tubby, Tubbers, Tubby, Chubby, etc. Children are not going to be kind to that one.

[name_m]How[/name_m] much is your kid going to appreciate the nicknames? I get that you have a lot of positive associations with it, but how much would it realistically mean to your kid?

Thank you for all of the replies! :slight_smile: