Thoughts on the name Vera

We’re having our first baby :smiley: and really like the name [name]Vera[/name], only we’re wondering if it’s too old fashioned. I like to think it’s ‘vintage’ and that it will soon experience a revival.

Any thoughts?

I quite like the vintage charm of [name]Vera[/name] and I don’t think it’s too old-fashioned like some other names (eg. [name]Hilda[/name] or [name]Bertha[/name]). I like both meanings: in Russian it means “faith” and in Latin it means “truth”. It also has an exotic flair to it which I find appealing. It may be chosen more often in the future as “V” names are popular (eg. [name]Vivienne[/name], [name]Violet[/name]) but I don’t think it will become another [name]Ava[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name]. If you like the name, you should definitely choose it! All the best!

Ooh, I like [name]Vera[/name]. I love it’s vintage vibe and think it fits in well with today’s ‘V’ trend without being trendy, if that makes sense. I definitely think you should go for it! [name]Just[/name] because I’m curious, what middle names are you thinking about?

I think it’s totally chic, cool and pretty…love it!

I really dig [name]Vera[/name] and have it on my short list if I have another girl… my only hesitation is because my cousin;s daughter is [name]Veda[/name] and we are pretty close. Otherwise it would be for sure so I say go for it!

Thanks! We’re thinking [name]Vera[/name] [name]Emily[/name]. [name]Emily[/name] is my father’s mother’s middle name and she was a wonderful woman.

I think it’s a great name too! Also, I am 34 and grew up with one [name]Vera[/name] and have a friend who is 3-4 years younger than I am named [name]Vera[/name], so I don’t think it’s old-sounding at all!

I also meant to say I really like [name]Greta[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] from your list. Most of which I think are a similar vintage to [name]Vera[/name]. All the very best of luck with trying for your first.

Thank you! Totally agree. And really like that it means truth and/or faith - both are wonderful virtues. I also agree that it won’t be another [name]Ava[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name] in terms of popularity.

LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE

I have a huge crush on this name- I plan to use it as a nn for [name]Veronica[/name], if possible, so I can combine two of my favorite names.

Go for it! [name]Vera[/name] [name]Emily[/name] is so sweet :slight_smile: