Thoughts on these "grandma" names?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!

I’ve been on the hunt for some Edwardian and Victorian era girl names. I’m looking to put some on my list as firsts. Which do you like or dislike and why?

[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Briallen[/name_f] (proper pronunciation?)
Claramund/Claremunda
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
Rowenna
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
Amelia
Ingrid
[name_f]Edwina[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f]
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gardenia[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] and [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f].

You can listen to the pronunciation of [name_f]Briallen[/name_f] here.

The Welsh ll sound doesn’t exist in English.

Thanks @lumen!

Any other opinions?

I love [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] and I find [name_f]Gardenia[/name_f] and Claramund very intriguing.

[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] - I think the pronunciation can be confusing
[name_f]Briallen[/name_f] (proper pronunciation?) - how is this one said?
Claramund/Claremunda - I don’t like it.
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] - I’d only like it if she was called [name_f]Mina[/name_f]
Rowenna - doesn’t strike as ‘grandma’ to me.
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - [name_f]Edie[/name_f] is a cute nickname, but I’m not into the proper [name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - Ich.
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] - Very popular, at least around here
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] - I don’t like it, it sounds harsh.
[name_f]Edwina[/name_f] - Also, not so into it. She could go by [name_m]Eddie[/name_m], a tomboyish nickname…
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] - a comeback name, not so grandma anymore.
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] - not my style
[name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] - A little too fairy-style for me
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f] - nah
[name_f]Gardenia[/name_f] - nah

[name_u]Love[/name_u]:
[name_f]Edwina[/name_f]
Rowenna
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]

Like:
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
Wilhemina

Dislike:
Claramund
[name_f]Briallen[/name_f]

Loathe:
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f]

Ceridwen- Very beautiful
Briallen (proper pronunciation?)- Never heard of this before. I’m not sure I like it. Just looked up the pronunciation (bree-AHSH-en according to Behind The Name), and I think it would be really difficult to get from the spelling. Plus I don’t really like the sound.
Claramund/Claremunda- I prefer just Clara, the -mund ending doesn’t really appeal to me in this case.
Wilhelmina- I’m not overly keen on -ina endings, but it has some strength behind it that I like.
Rowenna- Really love it! I’m a sucker for any -enna name. Only thing that puts me off slightly is that it could be a bit awkward to say.
Edith- I’m really liking Edith right now. I like that it has a strong beginning start but also a gentler -th at the end.
Henrietta- Elegant, sophisticated, but feisty and energetic with that Etta ending.
Amelia- Pretty name, but far too popular where I live.
Ingrid- Can’t decide if I like it or not. I’m leaning towards like at the moment.
Edwina- Like Wilhelmina, I’m not a fan of the -ina ending and I think -wina is even less attractive.
Violet- I’m starting to warm up to Violet a bit, the Viol- part puts me off a little, since it merges into ‘vile’ when I say it, but maybe it’s different for everyone else :p.
Georgiana- Another favourite of mine, absolutely gorgeous and the Pride and Prejudice association is pretty awesome too :slight_smile:
Snowdrop- I prefer just Snow. Snowdrop sounds more like a pet’s name.
Petunia- I think because of Harry Potter, I really can’t like Petunia. It doesn’t have a very nice sound in my opinion either.
Gardenia- It has a nice enough sound, but I guess the Garden part just sticks out to me

My favourites are Ceridwen, Rowenna, Edith, Henrietta, and Georgiana.

[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] is okay, but what about [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]? It’s so strong and retro yet also very feminine.
[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] might be confusing, but I think it’ll work. Use the nn [name_f]Cerys[/name_f] to top it off.
[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] “[name_f]Cerys[/name_f]”
The “grandma” names are so good together and the modern nn [name_f]Cerys[/name_f] makes this such an adorable combination

My thoughts are below!

[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] - Too unfamiliar for my own personal taste.

[name_f]Briallen[/name_f] (proper pronunciation?) - Also too unfamiliar for my own personal taste - not sure how it’s pronounced, but the “allen” part makes it feel a little too masculine.

Claramund/Claremunda - Claramund is a fun twist on [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], but I still prefer [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f].

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] - [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t love it myself, but I think it’s more wearable than the three above and offers cute NN options like [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_f]Mina[/name_f] - but be prepared for that, because with it being 4 syllables, people will shorten it even if you don’t want them to.

Rowenna - I like. I think I prefer the [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] spelling though.

[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the name [name_f]Edie[/name_f], so if she’ll likely go by [name_f]Edie[/name_f], then I love it. [name_f]Edith[/name_f] itself is pretty cute - cuter than [name_f]Edna[/name_f] but not pretty as [name_u]Eden[/name_u] in my opinion.

[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t love, this is one of those that for me is too masculine despite the “etta” - [name_m]Henry[/name_m] will and always will be to me a man’s name.

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] - I prefer the [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] spelling or [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] and opposed to [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], but I like it overall. Particularly if she goes by [name_f]Mia[/name_f].

[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] - Pretty neutral. It’s not my personal taste, but it could be cute.

[name_f]Edwina[/name_f] - Another one that is too masculine for my taste.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u].

[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] - [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t mind. I prefer [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], followed by [name_f]Georgina[/name_f], but [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] is cute. For whatever reason this one isn’t too masculine in my mind despite falling in the same category as [name_f]Edwina[/name_f] and [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f], perhaps because it is also a place name, which makes me disassociate with the name [name_m]George[/name_m].

[name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] - I like [name_f]Snow[/name_f], I think [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] is a bit too out there for me though.

[name_f]Petunia[/name_f] - Cute, but most people’s reference will be the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character, who was not the nicest person. I prefer [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] or [name_f]Primrose[/name_f].

[name_f]Gardenia[/name_f] - Cute… not sure how wearable though. I prefer [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f].

I love:

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]

[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] - This doesn’t sound appealing to me
[name_f]Briallen[/name_f] - I don’t like the [name_f]Bri[/name_f]- sound in general, so I’m not a fan
Claramund/Claremunda - This looks very interesting, like a combination of [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]. I love both names separately, and I like the way that Claramund looks, though I don’t think it’s as pretty when spoken
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] - This is just a name that I’ve never like, I find it overly clunky
Rowenna - Not my favourite
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - This name is really growing on me, I love the nickname [name_f]Edie[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - I don’t really like the full name, but [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] is an adorable nickname
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] - Beautiful
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] - I adore [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]! I love the Scandinavian charm
[name_f]Edwina[/name_f] - Same as [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] - Gorgeous
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] - Growing on me
[name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] - I don’t mind this as a mn, but I find it a bit ott as a fn
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f] - I’ll forever think of [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], but the name itself is interesting
[name_f]Gardenia[/name_f] - I don’t really like this, I just don’t find the sound appealing

[name_u]Love[/name_u]:
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

Like:
Claramund
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f]

Dislike:
[name_f]Briallen[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Edwina[/name_f]

[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] - gorgeous. Feels magical, in a LOTR way. Would it get shortened to [name_u]Ceri[/name_u] though? I feel like that would ruin it.
[name_f]Briallen[/name_f] (proper pronunciation?) - perhaps too complicated and not as aristocratic as some of the names on your list.
Claramund/Claremunda - I love Claramund! (Claremunda sounds a bit like cowabunga?) It would be beautiful in combination with some of these names. Does it have first name potential? If regularly shortened to [name_f]Clara[/name_f], then yes, of course.
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] - not as delicate or as tidy as the other names on this list. It has some nice sounds, but [name_f]Edwina[/name_f] seems to be a more stylish (less ostentatious) and prettier substitute. [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] in a middle spot would look really distinguished, though.
Rowenna - pronounced ro-WENN-ah? Or [name_f]RO[/name_f]-wenn-ah? Either way, I love it. I think that it’s very easy to wear right now considering the recent popularity of [name_u]Owen[/name_u] for boys. It might even seem fashion-forward to some people.
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - a gorgeous name, full of style and substance. Not traditionally thought of as romantic, I think it very well can be extremely romantic. It would also be very pretty on the right wearer.
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - beautiful and lovable, could easily be used in combination with most of the names on this list.
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] - way too safe, tame and popular. It doesn’t adequately reflect your flair for amazing names!
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] - pretty, but it lacks some of the musicality found in the other names on your list.
[name_f]Edwina[/name_f] - a spectacular name. As ‘[name_m]Ed[/name_m]’ names for boys are becoming more popular once again, I think it’s possible we could see a gentle rise for girls as well. So many good sounds in [name_f]Edwina[/name_f], and great nickname potential - [name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_m]Eddy[/name_m], [name_f]Edda[/name_f], [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], [name_u]Win[/name_u], [name_f]Ina[/name_f]? Sign me up! It’s full of style.
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] - not as exciting as the other names on your list, it would probably make a lovely middle name.
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] - I think if you’re already considering [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] you may as well take the plunge and go with [name_f]Gardenia[/name_f]. They seems a bit similar. That said, I love [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]!
[name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] - better as a middle name, but shortened to [name_f]Snow[/name_f] it’s certainly wearable.
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f] - so adorable, I was just thinking of it yesterday. I think it’s wearable because it sounds innocent and aristocratic at the same time.
[name_f]Gardenia[/name_f] - I’m a huge, huge fan of [name_f]Gardenia[/name_f]. It’s one of my favourite scents, fills me with love and light :slight_smile: I like the sound of the name and the way it looks.

1. [name_f]Edwina[/name_f]
  2. Rowenna
  3. [name_f]Gardenia[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Edith[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
  6. Claramund
  7. [name_f]Petunia[/name_f]
  8. [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]
  9. [name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f]
    10 [name_f]Violet[/name_f]

(Would skip [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f], [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] and [name_f]Briallen[/name_f].)

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Gardenia[/name_f] (and the flower itself is so pretty too), [name_f]Edith[/name_f] and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]- and Claramund is pretty cool

I think I found my name twin! Lol Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f] - no opinion
[name_f]Briallen[/name_f] (proper pronunciation?) - meh
Claramund/Claremunda
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] - this is okay
Rowenna - i like this!!
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - it’s fine, i wouldn’t use it
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] - i LOVED henrietta until i had some issues with a guy named henry. it’s a shame because it’s by far my favourite on this list, i terms of the sound. it’s beautiful.
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] - i know many girls named this. it’s very nice, as far as most of the common baby names in australia go
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] - soundsa bit harsh to me
[name_f]Edwina[/name_f] - again, a bit harsh
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] - very fashionable and for good reason too, i personally love this name
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] - i really like this, very feminine and frilly sounding but it’s nice
[name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] - i would use this as a middle name
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f] - i love this, this is probably my second favourite??
[name_f]Gardenia[/name_f] - not big on this one

I absolutely adore [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] & [name_f]Edith[/name_f]. They are two of my favourite names.

I also like [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] & [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] and I’m quite partial to [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f].

The only ones I don’t like are [name_f]Violet[/name_f], Claremunda, [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] & [name_f]Gardenia[/name_f].