Thoughts on these names together?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all! We’re expecting a little girl in [name_u]February[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] hubby & I don’t always see eye to eye on names, but we both really like the name [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] with the nickname [name_f]Libby[/name_f] and [name_f]Lib[/name_f]. I’m getting feedback that the name is too political? I never saw it as a political thing, we just liked the name. Now people are saying they wouldn’t want them or their child to be associated with the name [name_u]Liberty[/name_u]. [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] would be the name.

Also we plan on having a second child and if it’s a boy we are dead set on the name [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u]. The haters really came out at the thought of us having kids named [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] & [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] and they said that was over the top political. Again, y’all we just really loved the dang names lol.

What are your thoughts?

Congratulations that’s so exciting!
I LOVE [name_f]Libby[/name_f] and [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] together :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:!! However I admit I’m not really a big fan of [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] as a name. And I do think [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] & [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] together feels theme-y if I’m honest, but I think separately they would work though!

Is using [name_f]Libby[/name_f] as a stand-alone an option you guys have considered? I think [name_f]Libby[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] is super sweet!

Some other full names for [name_f]Libby[/name_f] if you’re interested:
[name_f]Lilibet[/name_f]
[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]

2 Likes

i agree with the previous poster, [name_f]Libby[/name_f] and [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] together feel a bit much, and i’m not Liberty’s biggest fan. of course, that’s just my personal opinion, and if you absolutely love the name [name_u]Liberty[/name_u], you should use it!

seconding [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] ‘Libby’, by the way.

1 Like

hi! congratulations! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

i think [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] & [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] sound kinda political together, but alone they are totally fine! i don’t think either of them is political if they’re used alone, but together they do seem a bit themey

also some other ideas for [name_f]Libby[/name_f] as a nn:
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilibeth[/name_f]
Libelle
Libeth
Librianna
or just [name_f]Libby[/name_f]!

Congrats!

[name_u]Liberty[/name_u] and [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] are kind of themey to me, HOWEVER, I don’t think that is something you should worry about, especially if you are wanting to call her [name_f]Libby[/name_f] or [name_f]Lib[/name_f] (which is adorable). There is also nothing wrong with being associated with liberty. I knew a few Libertys growing up as well and never thought anything of their names at all.

I am a strong believer in not listening to the negative when naming children and this is no different! If you love [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] and [name_u]Liberty[/name_u], then you have complete right to name them [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] and [name_u]Liberty[/name_u]. I think they are such sweet names, and [name_f]Libby[/name_f] is just the cutest. They are your kids!!

1 Like

First, congrats!!
As is obvious from my username, I love the name [name_u]Liberty[/name_u]! It’s pretty, fun, and is a word with a fantastic meaning while still actually sounding like a name. I would expect Liberty’s parents to vote a certain way, but I don’t think of [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] as political as Pres. [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] is admired across the spectrum. Putting the two names together is theme-y, and I personally wouldn’t do it, but there’s nothing wrong with it. People might assume that you are patriotic and value liberty, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing.
If you exclusively call [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] Lib/Libby, this may be a non-issue.

I personally see nothing wrong with the name [name_u]Liberty[/name_u], especially with the nickname with [name_f]Libby[/name_f]. (which I love by the way!) Now I won’t deny it, [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] does have a very strong association and representation in [name_u]America[/name_u], but it’s also a virtue name just like [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_f]Faith[/name_f], so in that aspect, there’s nothing wrong.

As for [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u], while it is the last name of an American president, [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u], like other last names, is also a first name. [name_u]Will[/name_u] he probably get the [name_m]Abraham[/name_m] [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] association? Sure. But at least it’s a positive association and a man who did a lot of good work in his life.

It’s also nobody else’s business on what you name your child. It’s your child, so it should be your decision and nobody else’s decision on what you should name your child/children. As I say that though, I think that [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] and [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] are very cute names, along with the nicknames [name_f]Libby[/name_f] and [name_m]Linc[/name_m].

I really like [name_u]Liberty[/name_u]! It sounds so pretty and fun and I don’t think it has a bad meaning? As others have mentioned though, [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Lisbeth[/name_f] could have the nn [name_f]Libby[/name_f] if you’re worried

[name_u]Liberty[/name_u] and [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] as a pair do sound quite politically themed to me. I don’t hate it though! One thing to consider for me would be, if you were to have another child would you want to continue that pattern (both Ls and/or political-ish?) or give a completely different name. In that case it would be quite jarring I think and maybe best to avoid the pair.

As a stand-alone name I think there’s nothing wrong with [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] at all! If anybody says it’s too political, you could gently remind them that personal liberty is a value and right, and therefore shouldn’t be in the slightest bit political. [name_f]Libby[/name_f] is sweet, and very intuitive.

[name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] does seem more tied to one person to me, but it’s a top 100 name (I think?) so hardly unusual and again it’s very charming and tailored.

Ultimately if you like [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] and [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] than go ahead and use them both! Other people’s opinions don’t matter nearly as much as your own, so take everything they say with a pinch of salt.

No way is it too political. [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] is an idea like freedom. I think it’s a beautiful concept for a name. Using [name_f]Grace[/name_f] isn’t too religious so why should [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] be too political?

Oof, this is a tricky one. I think [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] shouldn’t be political–it’s just a word meaning freedom, after all–but in the current climate in the U.S., I definitely have a political association with it. And if I’m being completely honest, I know that if I met siblings [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] & [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u], I’d make a subconscious assumption–however fair or unfair–about their parents’ political leaning. If the association bothers you, would you consider using just [name_f]Libby[/name_f]? I adore it as a standalone name!

[name_u]Liberty[/name_u] and [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] together are themey for sure. [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] is very positive so I don’t understand the complaints about it being too “political.” I don’t really like how wordy it sounds.

I like [name_u]Liberty[/name_u], and it’s great with [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u]. I don’t think they sound too political.

I like them together. I agree it sounds a pit patriotic but it’s not over the top.

Other idea, [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lissy[/name_f], [name_f]Lacey[/name_f]

I see no way out of the political associations. They just are there for a big group of people.
If you really love the names you should use them but I think you need to be fully aware of the associations and meanings behind these names so that you can make an informed decision and prepare for people asking you about them.

Beyond the more obvious connections I see this kind of “Lincoln freed the slaves” idea in Liberty+Lincoln. The way [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] is glorified as the emancipator is really problematic. [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] wasn’t a passionate abolitionist, even though he thought slavery was morally wrong. He didn’t think [name_m]Black[/name_m] people should have equal rights in society, be able to vote etc.

Study things and decide if you’re fine with the associations related to the names. Personally, I’d never name my kids that.

What do you think if we did [name_f]Libby[/name_f] instead, so [name_f]Libby[/name_f] & [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u]?