Thoughts on these names?

So, hubby and I have definitely settled on a boys’ name, which is [name]Donald[/name] [name]Dodge[/name]. For a girl, he likes [name]Susannah[/name] NN [name]Sunny[/name]. I’m kind of torn… I like it, but I don’t love it. Plus he wants to use the name because of the character in the Dark [name]Tower[/name] series (which we both love), and while it’s not a bad association, it’s not a great one either. It’s hard to explain. I put together a list of girls’ names I think he might like based on [name]Susannah[/name], but wanted to get some [name]Berry[/name] thoughts before I present them :wink: We’re not actually pregnant, we’re just both name nerds. Me more so than him, obviously.

For the sake of visualization, she would probably be tall and slender, with blue eyes and dirty blonde hair. There is also the possibility that she would have white hair, since my partner has albinism.

[name]Caroline[/name] - my step-mom is named [name]Carolyn[/name], and we don’t get along. I love [name]Caroline[/name], but is it too close for comfort? FWIW, my dad and step-mom live in Massachusetts and would only see my kids on major holidays like [name]Christmas[/name].
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Vera[/name] - he says this is “just okay”.
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Stella[/name] - he said this was alright but not his favorite.
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] - I don’t like [name]Sarah[/name], I just like [name]Sadie[/name] alone.
[name]Clementine[/name] - last time I checked, he liked this, but he changes his mind frequently.
[name]Flora[/name] - I used to babysit a (very headstrong) little girl named this, so we sometimes say to each other “Okay, [name]Flora[/name]” if the other person is being stubborn. Also, I’m still friends with the family but we live an hour apart. Okay to use?
[name]Winter[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]

As you can see, my style is kind of all over the place. What are your thoughts on these? Thanks!

Wow, you have great taste in names! I love almost every name on your list! If you’re settled on [name]Donald[/name] [name]Dodge[/name], maybe you should consider how well the names on your list would fit with it for a sibset (although you shouldn’t trouble yourself TOO much over sibsets; I think people worry a little too much about the “perfect sibset”).
Here are the names on your list that I think work well with [name]Donald[/name] [name]Dodge[/name]:
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Winter[/name]

And then, of course, you can pair the names on your list with other names on it as middles and see how they go together. A few that come to my mind are:
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Clara[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]June[/name]

I’ve been missing from Nameberry for awhile, and I’ve really got an itch to talk about names. So this might be a rather long post. Here goes:

To start off, I think [name]Donald[/name] [name]Dodge[/name] is an awesome name. What would you call him? [name]Just[/name] [name]Donald[/name], maybe [name]Donny[/name]? Or [name]Dodge[/name]? I think [name]Dodge[/name] is a fun, masculine name.

Onto the girls names:

[name]Caroline[/name]: I adore the name [name]Caroline[/name]. I think it is gorgeous, classic, and a name that would age well. And I can definitely see a dirty blond little girl being named [name]Caroline[/name]. But I do think that [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Carolyn[/name] are too close to each other for comfort, especially if you dislike your step-mom. Have you ever heard of the comedian [name]Brian[/name] [name]Regan[/name]? Because he does a segment about names, and he accidentally calls someone “[name]Carolyn[/name]” and they get all mad and say, “[name]CaroLINE[/name]. It’s [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Brian[/name].” So, that has definitely made me feel that those two names are too similar.

• Suggestions: [name]Carolina[/name] - similar to [name]Caroline[/name], but still sets itself apart from [name]Carolyn[/name]. Especially if you pronounce it Car-oh-lee-na.

[name]Ruth[/name]: I really don’t like the name [name]Ruth[/name]. All I think of is an old Jewish woman (not in a bad away) and the candy bars [name]Baby[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]. I don’t care for the look or sound of it. It’s not spunky enough with your other names, either. If it has a special meaning to you, I’d suggest using it in the middle.

• Suggestions: [name]Ruby[/name] - which is already on your list. I’ll get to that one.

[name]Alice[/name]: I love the name [name]Alice[/name]. It’s simple, delicate, sweet, and very girly. I think it’s just an all around great name. I also like that [name]Alice[/name] can be someone who is kind of tough, not just a cutesy girl. I read a book recently called A Map of the World, and the main character was named [name]Alice[/name], and it made me really like it even more. It’s a classic name that you really can’t wrong with.

[name]Vera[/name]: I’m with your husband on this one, it’s just okay. Nothing about it reaches out and grabs at me. I think the letter V, because I feel like it’s always a shock to see it, but the rest of the name lets me down. Plus, whenever I see the name [name]Vera[/name], I think of [name]Vera[/name] Wang, and then I think of the perfume of I have by her, and then I think of a fairy princess. So…I don’t know. I don’t care for it.

• Suggestions: [name]Viola[/name] - I like the letter V, and this is less common and expected than [name]Violet[/name].
    [name]Verity[/name] - still not my favorite, but why not throw it out there.

[name]Ruby[/name]: I love [name]Ruby[/name]. I think it’s cute and fun and quirky and spunky. I just love it. Also, I can see every girl being named [name]Ruby[/name], it fits for every personality type. My only issue is about how well it age, because I’m not sure if I could see it working on a 40 year old business women. But that might just be my issue.

[name]Miriam[/name]: I’ve really never liked the sound of this name. Also, I used to have a really annoying neighbor named [name]Miriam[/name] who was really skinny and had an upturned pig-nose, and that’s all I think of when I hear the name. So I might not be the best source for advice on this name.

• Suggestions: [name]Rosemary[/name] - still has the similar “mary” sound to it, but I love the sound of [name]Rosemary[/name] much more than [name]Miriam[/name].

[name]Bridget[/name]: I’ve really started to love this name. There is something about it that is cute and quirky, yet stylish and sophisticated. I had a dream the other night that I had baby named [name]Bridget[/name] (which is strange, seeing as I’m only 16), and since then I’ve started to love the name even more. It’s definitely one of my favorites on your list.

[name]Meredith[/name]: Not crazy about it. All I think of when I hear this name is Mormons (not a bad thing) because of twins at my school with the last name [name]Meredith[/name]. This isn’t a bad association, because they are pretty much the nicest people I’ve ever met. But still, I don’t care for it. It also makes me think of [name]Meredith[/name] on [name]Gray[/name]'s Anatomy, and her character kind of bugs the crap out of me. Haha.

• Suggestions: As with [name]Miriam[/name], I’m going to have to suggest [name]Rosemary[/name] again.

[name]Clara[/name]: I love this name, I think it’s so pretty and classy, as well as super cute. My mom ruined it for my personal use, but I still think it’s a lovely name. I can imagine a blond girl with this name, too. Very smart and friendly, like a girl’s next door type. Another favorite.

• Suggestions: [name]Claire[/name] - pretty much identical to [name]Clara[/name], but I love it even more.

[name]Iris[/name]: It’s a really pretty name, and I can see it working well on a girl above the age of 10, but not anything below that. Which is fine, since you’re older than 10 for a majority of your life. I think it’s cute, and classy, but I feel like it’s missing some spunk. I’ll ponder on this name, so don’t take my comments on this one too close to heart.

• Suggestions: [name]Ivy[/name] - somewhat similar to [name]Iris[/name], but I feel like it has a little more spunk.

[name]June[/name]: I adore the name [name]June[/name]. It’s so pretty, spunky, cute, classic, and all around wonderful. I have nothing bad to say about it. It is definitely another favorite from your list.

[name]Stella[/name]: I love this name. There is something about it that is so pretty and quirky, yet I would take someone named [name]Stella[/name] seriously. Also, it reminds me of my favorite band Incubus, so that’s another plus. [name]Stella[/name] is great, another favorite from your list.

[name]Elsa[/name]: Eh. I want to love this name, but I really only like it. It’s cute, but I think of a mad Russian lady yelling obscenities. I don’t know why I think this, but I do. It’s cute, but not my favorite.

• Suggestions: [name]Ella[/name] - probably too popular
    [name]Elisabeth[/name] - [name]Elsa[/name] could be a possible nickname?
    [name]Greta[/name] - I feel it’s similar to [name]Elsa[/name], but I prefer this name.

[name]Sadie[/name]: I think [name]Sadie[/name] is super cute and fun, and, like you, I don’t care for the name [name]Sarah[/name] very much. For some reason, despite it’s cutsie-ness, I can see [name]Sadie[/name] working well for any age.

[name]Clementine[/name]: I think [name]Clementine[/name] is really cute, but I think of that one song. I’m not the biggest fan, but I do like the possible nicknames for it. [name]Clio[/name] and [name]Emmy[/name] would be adorable as nicknames. Otherwise, [name]Clementine[/name] screams Bible-belt, down South to me.

• Suggestions: [name]Emmeline[/name] - similar-ish to [name]Clementine[/name], but it feels more classy and sophisticated than [name]Clementine[/name] does to me.

[name]Flora[/name]: Wasn’t this the name of one of the fairy godmothers in Sleeping Beauty? I feel like it was… Anyway, I do feel like maybe you shouldn’t use it, especially since you’re still friends with [name]Flora[/name]'s family. It’s a pretty name, but I might cross it off the list.

• Suggestions: [name]Fauna[/name] - sorry, I kind of couldn’t help myself.
    [name]Aurora[/name] - similar in sound to [name]Flora[/name], but still very different.

[name]Winter[/name]: There is something about this name that I really like. It has spunk, it’s different, and it’s really pretty. While I really like it, I wonder if the rest of the world will. [name]Even[/name] so, I think it’s a great choice.

• Suggestions: [name]January[/name] - a winter month name that I think is really pretty. Another good option.

[name]Camilla[/name]: This name is so pretty, and I absolutely adore it. I love that it can fit nearly any girl, it just feel very versatile to me. [name]Camilla[/name] is a pretty, popular girl; [name]Millie[/name] is a fun, smart, friendly girl; while [name]Cami[/name] is a care-free girl. The name is all around excellent, and a really good choice.

[name]Rose[/name]: I love the simplicity and beauty in this name. It’s rarely heard as a first name these days, so it would make for a really good choice. Plus, it ages really well, I can see [name]Rose[/name] being any age and working perfectly. I also think the combination [name]Rose[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] is really pretty, and it would work well with [name]Donald[/name] [name]Dodge[/name].

So, my top 5 favorites:
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]

Good luck, and I hope this helps! :slight_smile: