Thoughts on these names?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], I would like to hear some general opinions on the following names, some are family names and others are new discoveries/crushes.
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m]
[name_m]Alvis[/name_m]
[name_u]Finch[/name_u]
Eric

[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f]
[name_m]Musa[/name_m]
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f]
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f]
[name_u]Noli[/name_u]/[name_m]Nolly[/name_m]- like [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and [name_f]Holly[/name_f] but with an N
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]
Holly

[name_u]Dune[/name_u]- boy of girl
[name_u]Bay[/name_u]- same question

anyone…?

Of the boy names, I like [name_m]Eric[/name_m]. If you like [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], would you consider [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]? I think it is similar but has a rounder feel. [name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] and [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] I like quite a bit. They might shine best in the middle spot though, if your boy name taste is more classic. As for the last two names [name_u]Dune[/name_u] and [name_u]Bay[/name_u], both are truly unisex to me.

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] I like this variation of [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]… [name_u]Win[/name_u] could be a more unique nn.
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m] - I am not a fan as it seems incomplete … Much prefer [name_m]Vincent[/name_m].
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]. I like this name and the Nn [name_m]Cas[/name_m].
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]-this comes across as too posh for my taste
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m]- I could like this name if it weren’t for the nickname [name_u]Gerry[/name_u].
[name_m]Alvis[/name_m]-this strikes me as a misspelling of [name_m]Elvis[/name_m]. I peer [name_m]Alvin[/name_m], [name_m]Albert[/name_m], and [name_m]Alvin[/name_m].
[name_u]Finch[/name_u]- I like this nature name and the connection to “to Kill a Mockingbird.”
[name_m]Eric[/name_m] - I like this name though it seems a bit 80s to me.

[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] - okay. I Picture an artistic, dreamy girl with this name.
[name_m]Musa[/name_m]-it makes me think of Mufasa from The [name_m]Lion[/name_m] [name_m]King[/name_m].
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f]- okay. … It just seems a bit dated and not yet vintag.
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f]- I like this name. It works with vintage trend.
[name_u]Noli[/name_u]- it comes across as made up. I much prefer both [name_f]Molly[/name_f] and [name_f]Holly[/name_f] which have some tradition behind them,
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]
[name_f]Holly[/name_f]- I like this name a a lot.

[name_u]Dune[/name_u]- I like for a boy but not a girl. It strikes me as similar to [name_u]Dean[/name_u] and [name_u]Dane[/name_u] which I see as masculine.
[name_u]Bay[/name_u]- It strikes me as a bit feminine. I prefer it for a girl.

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] – I prefer [name_m]Edward[/name_m] or [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], but [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] is not bad. I find it a bit intriguing.
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m] – Dislike, for the same reason as pp.
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m] – Nice and charming!
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u] – I don’t like it as a first name, but I love it in the middle spot.
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m], [name_m]Alvis[/name_m], [name_u]Finch[/name_u] and [name_m]Eric[/name_m] – I don’t like any of them.

[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] – I kind of like it (although it’s not my style at all).
[name_m]Musa[/name_m] – This means ‘mouse’ where I live, and is slang for something sexual. I very strongly dislike it.
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f] and [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] – Dated.
[name_u]Noli[/name_u] – I agree with the pp, it sounds made up.
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] – Dislike.
[name_f]Holly[/name_f] – Sweet and charming.

[name_u]Dune[/name_u] – Sounds a bit incomplete, but is alright.
[name_u]Bay[/name_u] – Same as [name_u]Dune[/name_u].

From your list my favorites are:

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]
[name_u]Finch[/name_u]

[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f]

To answer this question:
[name_u]Dune[/name_u]- boy… I guess. Never heard of anyone named [name_u]Dune[/name_u].
[name_u]Bay[/name_u]- Girl! it’s one of my favorite girl names.

I didn’t know [name_m]Musa[/name_m] meant both mouse and something sexual- it might be off the list now.
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m], [name_f]Brenda[/name_f], [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] and [name_u]Noli[/name_u] are all family names, [name_u]Noli[/name_u] is my great aunties name, though I am considering to honour her with the name [name_f]Nola[/name_f].

Thanks everyone for your opinions :slight_smile:

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]–Not my favorite [name_m]Ed[/name_m] name, but I’m form [name_f]Louisiana[/name_f], and one of our most notorious governors was [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] Edwards…granted, the state did pretty well under him, but he was jailed for financial crimes. He’s very dashing, though, and outside of the state, I think it works well.
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m]–Not sure…I think I prefer [name_m]Vincent[/name_m].
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]–[name_u]Love[/name_u] this.
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]–Reminds me of [name_m]Archer[/name_m] (the character [name_u]Sterling[/name_u] [name_m]Archer[/name_m]), but is a nice name.
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m]–This is a nice name for a boy or a man.
[name_m]Alvis[/name_m]–[name_m]Elvis[/name_m] or [name_m]Alvin[/name_m]?
[name_u]Finch[/name_u]–Reminds me of American Pie, but not bad.
[name_m]Eric[/name_m]–I like it, but I know a lot of them!

[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f]–I’m not fond of word names, but I do like this one.
[name_m]Musa[/name_m]–I prefer [name_f]Musette[/name_f] or [name_f]Musetta[/name_f].
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f]–I feel this is very dated because of where I live; many women born in the late 50s through the early 70s share this name in my area.
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f]–I love it! Could definitely make a comeback.
[name_u]Noli[/name_u]/[name_m]Nolly[/name_m]- like [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and [name_f]Holly[/name_f] but with an N–I’m from [name_f]Louisiana[/name_f], so it reminds me of [name_f]Nola[/name_f], our nn for [name_m]New[/name_m] Orleans, Louisana.
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]–Cute. I like it.
[name_f]Holly[/name_f]–I have six Hollys on my FB friendlist. Six.

[name_u]Dune[/name_u]- boy or girl: I think boy?
[name_u]Bay[/name_u]- same question: Either…I love it for the character Baelfire/[name_f]Bae[/name_f]/[name_u]Neal[/name_u] on Once Upon a Time, BUT there is the unfortunate internet association with the word “[name_f]Bae[/name_f],” so many people might think of that.

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] - Might sound a bit wimpy today
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m] - Nice! Like [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] but more original
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m] - Reminiscent of a cute ghost but I like it
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u] - Strong. Awesome. There’s an Australian rugby player called [name_u]Sterling[/name_u] Mortlock (strongest name I’ve ever heard)
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] - Same as [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] for me, but in the right environment it might be ok
[name_m]Alvis[/name_m] - Too much like [name_m]Elvis[/name_m], unless you’re huge fan and that’s what you want
[name_u]Finch[/name_u] - Nice. Not over used and just nice.
[name_m]Eric[/name_m] - Grown-up sounding. I like it though

[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!
[name_m]Musa[/name_m] - It’s cool, might be too music-y or too Greek…
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f] - Quite old fashioned that might not come back
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f] - Cute! I like this one!
[name_u]Noli[/name_u]/[name_m]Nolly[/name_m]- Different, but I think it’s sweet!
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] - Not a weekday name heard often! It sounds nice though.
[name_f]Holly[/name_f] - Reminds me of [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]! Cute!

[name_u]Dune[/name_u] - Not sure if this one would work for either
[name_u]Bay[/name_u] - People called boyfriends and girlfriends [name_f]Bae[/name_f] ([name_u]Bay[/name_u]), [name_u]Baby[/name_u], [name_u]Boo[/name_u] as a nn in [name_m]New[/name_m] Zealand…

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] - Nice enough. Lots of good nn possibilities.
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m] - [name_m]Just[/name_m] sounds weird
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m] - Cool name
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u] - Cool name
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] - [name_m]Just[/name_m] don’t like the sound of it
[name_m]Alvis[/name_m] - If you are going to use this then I’d just go all out and spell it with an E
[name_u]Finch[/name_u] - Cool name
[name_m]Eric[/name_m] - I don’t hate it as much as I used to

[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] - Nice name
[name_m]Musa[/name_m] - Not sure what this is
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f] - Too 90’s BH90210 for me
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f] - Has too many bad associations as a derogatory term for a homosexual for me.
[name_u]Noli[/name_u]/[name_m]Nolly[/name_m]- Sounds like some kind of insult… like, “You [name_m]Nolly[/name_m]”
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] - Cool, but I personally couldn’t use unless the baby was actually born on a [name_f]Sunday[/name_f].
[name_f]Holly[/name_f] - very nice name

[name_u]Dune[/name_u]- Quite like this, because of the books I’d probably say boy - although I hate gender stereotypes in anything other than names, so I hate myself for saying that.
[name_u]Bay[/name_u]- [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t like this as a name, but I could see on either gender - maybe a bit more boy

I love [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] & [name_f]Sonnet[/name_f].
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_u]Sterling[/name_u], [name_m]Gerald[/name_m], [name_m]Eric[/name_m], [name_f]Holly[/name_f] & [name_u]Bay[/name_u] are nice enough… I don’t love them, but they’re all right.
I don’t care for [name_m]Vinson[/name_m], [name_m]Alvis[/name_m], [name_u]Finch[/name_u], [name_m]Musa[/name_m], [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], or [name_u]Dune[/name_u].
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f] & [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] are very dated, but they’re fine. I had a doll named [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] when I was young so I have a soft spot for it.
[name_m]Nolly[/name_m] would be cute as a nickname.
Interesting mix!

I probably should have mentioned that I do not live in the US, I live in Scandinavia. It’s probably fine where you live; I was just trying to explain why the name is unappealing to me :slight_smile:

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] - I prefer [name_m]Edmond[/name_m] to [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], but if you like it, go for it.
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m] - Surname name, people will hear it and think his name is [name_m]Vincent[/name_m].
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m] - I like it!
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u] - I like this, too.
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] - Refreshing after all the years of [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]/[name_u]Brayden[/name_u]/…
[name_m]Alvis[/name_m] - I don’t like this.
[name_u]Finch[/name_u] - I think this would be usable in the middle, but not so much as the first name.
[name_m]Eric[/name_m] - I like this - again, refreshing since it isn’t very popular.

[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] - Not my style
[name_m]Musa[/name_m] - no, just don’t like it.
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f] - refreshing after all the Ellies.
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f] - I met a six year old a few years ago with this name! It was refreshing!
[name_u]Noli[/name_u]/[name_m]Nolly[/name_m]- sounds made up.
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] - not my style.
[name_f]Holly[/name_f] - I like this, again, refreshing.

[name_u]Dune[/name_u] and [name_u]Bay[/name_u] - Might be usable in the middle name place.

[name_f]Susan[/name_f]

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] - this is fine, quite a nice name - but I am not at all keen on [name_m]Eddie[/name_m]
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m] - [name_m]Will[/name_m] be mistaken for [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] over and over and over
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m] - I love this
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u] - Too much, too masculine, too connected to money (for the UK at least)
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] - It’s ok. [name_u]Gerry[/name_u] is nice.
[name_m]Alvis[/name_m] - Sort of [name_m]Elvis[/name_m], but not.
[name_u]Finch[/name_u] - Gorgeous
[name_m]Eric[/name_m] - Where I am from an [name_m]Eric[/name_m] is slang for an erection. So no for me but elsewhere - fine!

[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] - It’s ok, love the meaning don’t love the sound
[name_m]Musa[/name_m] - Muesli
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f] - Very fusty with an unattractive sound
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f] - I [name_f]ADORE[/name_f] [name_f]Nancy[/name_f]
[name_u]Noli[/name_u]/[name_m]Nolly[/name_m]- like [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and [name_f]Holly[/name_f] but with an N - Quite sweet
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] - I like this
[name_f]Holly[/name_f] - Nice, very middle of the road

[name_u]Dune[/name_u]- boy of girl - Boy
[name_u]Bay[/name_u]- same question - Probably boy

In order of lGood to not so good!:

[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]- 10
[name_u]Finch[/name_u]- 8
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]-7
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]- 5
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m]-5
[name_m]Eric[/name_m]-5
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m]-3
[name_m]Alvis[/name_m]-0

Again Good to kind of Bad!

[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] - 10 +++
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]- 8
[name_f]Holly[/name_f]- 6
[name_u]Noli[/name_u]/[name_m]Nolly[/name_m]- 6
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f]- 2
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f]-1
[name_m]Musa[/name_m]-0 Am concerned that people may call her Moose

[name_u]Dune[/name_u]- Definetley BOY!
[name_u]Bay[/name_u]- Definetly Girl!

I only really like [name_m]Caspar[/name_m], [name_m]Eric[/name_m], and [name_f]Holly[/name_f].