Thoughts on these names?

Thanks everyone who replied to my last post, we’ve added some names to our list.

Interested to hear everyone’s thoughts when you hear these names:

Monroe
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u]
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]
[name_u]Berkeley[/name_u]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_m]Whitman[/name_m]

2 Likes

These names make me think of a boy who is either a cool athletic kid or a sweet nerdy kid! All of them are cool familiar surname names and they kind of have a preppy vibe to them too! [name_f]My[/name_f] faves that you have are [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]! Although I do love nn [name_m]Monty[/name_m] from [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u]!

1 Like

Monroe - president [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]. I just don’t like the sound, but that’s just me! :wink:

Montgomery- The Capital of [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]. I like it, but don’t love it.

Lawrence - LOVE LOVE LOVE!! [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] has several amazing namesakes and so many amazing nicknames! [name_m]Brown[/name_m] and warm.

Berkely - very fun to say! I picture a brown stone cliff or mountain with pine trees and a lake underneath.

Sullivan - So wonderful! [name_u]Blue[/name_u]-gray and foresty.

Whitman - ehhh not for me. I just don’t know why, but I can’t picture this as a first name. Sorry!

1 Like

You guys seem like literary/history buffs based on this list. :slight_smile:
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is my favorite, mostly cause I like the nn. [name_u]Sully[/name_u] and the connection to Monster’s Inc.
[name_u]Monroe[/name_u] is my least fave. It gives me angry old man vibes for some reason.

1 Like

Hmm…
[name_u]Monroe[/name_u] ~ I appreciate that this is a unisex name but to me it feels feminine. I just strongly associate it with [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] & [name_f]Mariah[/name_f] [name_u]Carey[/name_u]’s daughter so I’m not keen.

Montgomery ~ I honestly think this is such a handsome name really distinguished but also fun with the little [name_m]Monty[/name_m] nickname.

Lawrence ~ I can definitely see the appeal however not my cup of tea just feels stuffy

Berkeley ~ I’m not keen on [name_u]Berkeley[/name_u] my Granddad calls people who are essentially idiotic ‘berks’ and so that’s all I hear that insult.

Sullivan ~ ah I love [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] it’s handsome, strong and has a cool outdoorsy vibe. Also [name_u]Sully[/name_u] is a lovely nickname.

Whitman ~ this is a cool cowboy name. I like [name_m]Whitman[/name_m]

1 Like

Monroe - [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]! It sounds like a surname to me.

Montgomery - Mr.[name_m]Burns[/name_m] from the Simpsons. It’s a very posh and fusty name to me but [name_m]Monty[/name_m] is cute.

Lawrence - I like this but I can’t imagine it in anyone younger than an adult, thought [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] is a cute nickname.

Berkeley - “[name_m]Berk[/name_m]” is a common insult in the area I live. I’ve also heard dogs called [name_m]Barkley[/name_m]!

Sullivan - another surname to me, though I do like [name_u]Sully[/name_u], which makes me think of Monsters Inc.

Whitman - another surname, but also [name_m]Walt[/name_m] [name_m]Whitman[/name_m] the poet.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Monroe - instantly think of [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]! I think this name can work on any gender, but I’m not a big fan of the sound, sorry!
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] - absolutely love [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u]. It’s strong and soft at the same time. I really love nn [name_m]Monty[/name_m] too - so cool and sweet!
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] - [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is a name I’ve been warming up to lately. I especially love the nn [name_u]Wren[/name_u]! I think [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is soft and warm, which I like.
[name_u]Berkeley[/name_u] - not a fan, sorry! It reminds me of the college and the place. I also don’t really like [name_m]Berk[/name_m].
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] - cuddly and adorable! [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] always makes me smile. I think [name_u]Sully[/name_u] is super cute, and [name_u]Van[/name_u] is edgy and cool!
[name_m]Whitman[/name_m] - I love [name_m]Whitman[/name_m]! It automatically reminds me of [name_m]Walt[/name_m] [name_m]Whitman[/name_m], of course. It always makes me imagine reading by a fire, cozy and warm, while it snows beautifully outside. I also think nn [name_u]Whit[/name_u] is handsome, cool, and unexpected!

1 Like

Monroe - I get a cool artsy vibe from this without it seeming too hipster.

Montgomery - I immediately think of [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Clift[/name_m] and the kind of men he played, i.e. serious and sensitive. I agree that [name_m]Monty[/name_m] is a cute nickname that definitely lightens the name and brings a different charm to it.

Lawrence - This seems like a very adult name to me. I like the [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] nickname option though which I think makes it less dated.

Berkely - I think this is a serious but down to earth name.

Sullivan - The more I consider this name, the more I like it. It seems very friendly and gives off an intelligent vibe.

Whitman - I just think of [name_m]Walt[/name_m] [name_m]Whitman[/name_m], so it seems like a surname to me. I think it would be a lot for a child to carry, but with the right nickname it could work.

1 Like

Monroe is unexpected and i enjoy the sounds
Montogmery is both bright and serious
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] has a regal quality
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] feels distinctive and classic
[name_m]Whitman[/name_m] is sweet and cool

1 Like

Monroe is the cool guy who plays guitar.
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] is the boy who spends his summers traveling abroad and has family horses at his estate.
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] likes to sit by the fire with the good book or get into heated intellectual discussions. I greatly associate this name with [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women.
[name_u]Berkeley[/name_u] spends most of his time in the wilderness exploring.
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is “that guy” that everyone likes because he’s down to earth and genuinely friendly.
[name_m]Whitman[/name_m] is definitely an athlete who secretly is very smart.

1 Like

Monroe - agree with pp; gives me artsy, hipster vibes
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u]- sounds very southern/country…like the country band [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u]-[name_u]Gentry[/name_u]
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]- preppy. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t love the feminine nicknames
[name_u]Berkeley[/name_u]- also very preppy. Associate with the college
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]- my absolute favorite from your list! Distinguished but down to earth at same time. [name_u]Love[/name_u] nn [name_u]Sully[/name_u] too!
[name_m]Whitman[/name_m]- definitely associate with [name_m]Walt[/name_m] [name_m]Whitman[/name_m]. Probably the most unexpected choice- but I like it.

1 Like

@rosejuliet love your descriptions, thanks!!

@CurlyC thank you! I really like [name_m]Law[/name_m] as a nn for [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], but my husband said he’s not crazy about [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] in general so I think it’s out anyways.

Monroe - reminds me of [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] too much
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] - This is on my list of names I like. But personally would use as a middle. Though I like the nn [name_m]Monty[/name_m].
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] - I like how regal and studious this sounds. But not fond of the nn [name_m]Larry[/name_m]. Maybe [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] like from [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women though.
[name_u]Berkeley[/name_u] - reminds me too much of the college
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] - i think this is really cute. [name_u]Sully[/name_u] would be a cute nn.
[name_m]Whitman[/name_m] - Too last namey for me.

So my favourites are [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u].

I love [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]! They’re very charming names.