Thoughts on these two boy names

Thoughts, associations, or opinions on these two names?

Eldon [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]

I thought we were settled on [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], but last night my husband brought up [name_m]Eldon[/name_m] again, and I don’t dislike it. :laughing: I know [name_u]James[/name_u] isn’t very creative for a middle name, but it’s after my grandfather, so we’re unlikely to change it. (It was my top-pick 1st name for years, but at some point I met one too many people called [name_u]James[/name_u]/Jim/Jimmy/Jamie…) But we’d be open to other first name suggestions. Big sister is Erilyn [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], so we probably want something somewhat unique. We’re not finding out if baby is a boy or girl in advance, so you might see me posting in the other topics too. :smile:

1 Like

I love [name_m]Vincent[/name_m]! Also I think that Erilyn & [name_m]Eldon[/name_m] sound a little similar and might be confusing in the same house!

1 Like

I personally much prefer [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] (especially for the [name_u]Van[/name_u] Gogh association!), but I think [name_m]Eldon[/name_m] is definitely more what you’re looking for in terms of uniqueness ([name_m]Vincent[/name_m] ranks #107 in the US, so it’s fairly popular). I agree with @sophia_elena that Erilyn and [name_m]Eldon[/name_m] seem pretty similar, though.

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Vincent[/name_m]

Vincent [name_u]James[/name_u] for sure! [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] is so distinctive and not overused. I think that [name_m]Eldon[/name_m] and Erilyn are too matchy for siblings.

Eldon makes me think “elder” but I can also see myself hearing it and mistaking it for [name_m]Elton[/name_m].

I tend to shy away from “matchy” sibling names but I don’t think Erilyn and [name_m]Eldon[/name_m] are too close… In fact, Erilyn is so unique that I’d prefer another unique name for her sibling. [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] is #107 in the US while Erilyn and [name_m]Eldon[/name_m] aren’t in the top 1,000.

Side note - I love that you’re not finding out the gender until baby arrives :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I like [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]!

Vincent [name_u]James[/name_u] is great

@sophia_elena How did I not notice the similarity before? :woman_facepalming: I usually test out a sibling name by picturing myself shouting out the kid’s names at the park, but maybe didn’t with these two. :smile:

@futuremama and @Elle1 I guess I didn’t check the actual ranking! I had just been thinking I’d never heard the name used. :thinking: Good to know! Maybe it just hasn’t made it’s way to our area yet.

1 Like

We definitely have debated if [name_m]Eldon[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] sounds too much like [name_m]Elton[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m]. :laughing: (One of the reasons we decided to ask for thoughts here.)

2 Likes

Eldon is really cool. I like it. It does sound like a cross between [name_m]Elton[/name_m] and [name_u]Alden[/name_u] honestly but I like that it’s different!

Vincent would pair better with your daughters name for diversity but not so much stylistically. I love [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] actually- its a timeless favorite! [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is lovely.

Never heard of Erilyn (as an [name_f]Erin[/name_f] im curious about this!) But [name_m]Eldon[/name_m] seems close in sound if that matters.

Are there any other names on the table? Im wanting something more uncommon for you but less clashy with Erilyn. Luckily [name_u]James[/name_u] goes with everything so thats not hard!!

Vincent [name_u]James[/name_u] is a very handsome name!

1 Like

The “short list” from my first pregnancy also included
[name_m]Westin[/name_m]
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Simeon[/name_m]
But we haven’t really loved any of them this time around, and have also failed in our efforts to come up with new ideas. :grimacing: We are open to hearing suggestions!

(Regarding Erilyn, my husband came up with it by combining “[name_f]Erin[/name_f]” and “[name_u]Lynn[/name_u],” the names of two friends he remembered from his childhood. We found it exists as a name, but is just very rare. Not really an “honor name” for the people - we don’t know them; I’m not even sure he knows what the last names were, but more for the idea of childhood friendship and how much having friends means.)

1 Like