Thoughts on this boy shortlist?

Friends of mine are expecting their second son, but still debating on names. They already have a son named [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and a daughter named [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f].

Their revised shortlist (comprising family or close friend names) includes: [name_m]Robert[/name_m], [name_m]Roger[/name_m], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m], [name_u]Francis[/name_u], [name_m]John[/name_m], Hugh, Peter, Anthony and also Lionel.

Any feedback would be most welcome. Parents also have some concerns that [name_m]Roger[/name_m] and [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] may have negative connotations for most people.

I feel like they started a pattern with [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m]: E- names with emphasis on the first syllable. Unfortunately, a non-E name for #3 is going to feel mismatched. That said, [name_m]William[/name_m] fits the best. It’s a strong, handsome, timeless classic.

I think [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_u]Francis[/name_u] would be wonderful. The only two I’m not keen on are [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_m]Roger[/name_m]. Everything else would sound nice with [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f].

I agree with what augusta_lee said about the E- pattern. [name_m]Even[/name_m] so, out of their list, I think [name_m]William[/name_m] & [name_m]Roger[/name_m] fit well.

Agree about the E- thing - would like to see a third E name with [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m].

In any case, I like [name_u]Francis[/name_u] the best from their shortlist.

[name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] would sound refreshing. I love [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m].

[name_m]William[/name_m] is my second favorite.

From the Short list, I like [name_u]Francis[/name_u] the best. I might consider an E name like [name_u]Elliot[/name_u].

The classics work best:

[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m]

The only one I really like is [name_m]William[/name_m].

I like [name_m]William[/name_m] with [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m].

[name_m]Robert[/name_m] or [name_m]William[/name_m] are my favorites.

I also feel a little short-changed by not having another ‘E’ name. I thought [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] or [name_u]Everett[/name_u].

[name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and …

[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u] [name_m]William[/name_m] or [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m]
[name_m]Eldridge[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u] [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] or [name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m]

[name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] or [name_u]Francis[/name_u] would be cute.

I think it’s awesome they are avoiding another E name, too cheesy having more than two of the same initial in my opinion.

I think [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] is a better fit. Although [name_m]William[/name_m] is next.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] for thoughts why not [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] sounds like it fits right in, same era same pattern. [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] was [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]'s husband, think [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]!

[name_m]William[/name_m] works. So does [name_m]Robert[/name_m].
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] have great nickname potential and so do [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Robert[/name_m].
I dislike [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], but [name_m]Roger[/name_m] is very dapper. I wouldn’t pair [name_m]Roger[/name_m] with [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], then [name_m]Edward[/name_m] doesn’t share the same ending.

I like [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] the best.

Thanks to everyone for all of their responses so far. I’m surprised so many on here have suggested [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] as it seems most people hate it! I can see why some of you may have expected another E name, but the family would rather honour close family/friends and from what I understand these two plan on having at least one more child and would prefer to avoid such a pattern.

The list has now been shortened somewhat to [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_u]Francis[/name_u]. [name_m]Roger[/name_m] hasn’t been entirely ruled out, but parents are concerned about the slang connection here in the UK? The names [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] and Hugh have also been added. Again all views will be appreciated!

[name_m]Roger[/name_m] is a GP of mine, so I really would love to see it on a child. Not from the UK, so no slang issue - it makes me think of tennis player [name_m]Roger[/name_m] Federer above all else.

I like [name_m]William[/name_m] best from your list. Strong, handsome, classic, and plenty of nickname opportunity. The popularity is the only thing that would make me a little wary to use it.

I agree - [name_m]Roger[/name_m] would work well and is in fact his great grandfathers name so it would be a great tribute to him, however he will be growing up in the UK so it might invite teasing? Also Hugh may suffer with a similar issue due to “hughie ralph” being a term for sickness. I hadn’t heard of this before, but apparently it’s still current?

I agree - [name_m]Roger[/name_m] would work well and is in fact his great grandfathers name so it would be a great tribute to him, however he will be growing up in the UK so it might invite teasing? Also [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] may suffer with a similar issue due to “hughie ralph” being a term for sickness. I hadn’t heard of this before, but apparently it’s still current.

I have also been asked to add the names [name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] and [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] to the list for consideration.