Thoughts on this girl name

So my husband and I actually had another rare discussion about names. One first name we keep circling back to is [name_f]Elena[/name_f] (or maybe [name_f]Elina[/name_f]). It’s a way to honor my mom whose middle name is [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] (we have a thing with middle names), and it’s not “too old ladyish” for DH. DH then tossed in the middle name idea of Ellaree, which was his grandma’s name. It would mean a lot to his dad, and being that this will be his first and likely only granddaughter (out of 8 grandkids!), I’m more open to the idea.

What are everyone’s thoughts on [name_f]Elena[/name_f] Ellaree [name_m]Chance[/name_m]? Style? Flow? [name_m]Just[/name_m] the name in general?

I’m a sucker for alliteration in names, so I really like the double E. Although Ellaree isn’t my favorite spelling of the name (I believe it’s a variation of [name_m]Ellary[/name_m]/[name_u]Ellery[/name_u] maybe?), I do think it works well behind [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. If [name_m]Chance[/name_m] is your LN, then it sounds good. If it’s a second middle, then [name_m]Chance[/name_m] as a name is kind of masculine, if you’re conscious of that sort of thing.

[name_m]Chance[/name_m] is the last name. I married a Southern boy :smiley:

Alright, then it’s got a great flow! I’m a Southern girl, but I have a decidedly Irish last name. XD

I love the name [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. It’s so pretty! I’m not a huge fan of Ellaree, although I like the [name_u]Ellery[/name_u] spelling much better. It’s not a bad name, and [name_f]Elena[/name_f] Ellaree doesn’t flow horribly, but there are a lot of E’s and L’s and A’s between the two names. Maybe you could use the grandmother’s middle name or a variation of that instead?

Initially I didn’t really like the alliteration of [name_f]Elena[/name_f] Ellaree, but I think it actually works pretty well. I would prefer the spelling [name_u]Ellery[/name_u] though.

I love [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], like Ellaree a lot, but don’t care for [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. If you really want [name_f]Elena[/name_f] Ellaree though, you should use it. It sounds nice with your surname.

To me flow is more about rhythm/stress than repeated letters. This name flows beautifully to my ear with the pronunciation el-AY-na [name_f]ELL[/name_f]-a-[name_f]REE[/name_f] (the spelling makes me put more of a stress on “ree” than [name_m]Ellary[/name_m] would).

However if it was [name_f]EL[/name_f]-e-na [name_f]ELL[/name_f]-a-ree that would be a bit repetitive for me.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] that made sense!

It’s very pretty.

That’s how we would pronounce it. Thanks for that input!

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] is really pretty. Ellaree is cool but doesn’t flow well with [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. What if you name her [name_f]Elena[/name_f] and call her [name_f]Ella[/name_f]? Or as suggested above, did Ellaree have a middle name you could honor instead?

I really like it. I think pps who are down on the name Ellaree don’t really get the significance of using it. I like that it’s an unusual middle with personal meaning and I think it flows nicely. Well done!

When I first read your post I was initially anti the idea-it sounded too repetitive and a little strange. But I have to say it has grown on me in a strange way. The pronunciation of [name_f]Elena[/name_f] means that although the repeated ‘el’ sound is there, it’s not too prominant, and so the alliteration really doesn’t hold the name back for me.
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] is beautiful, works well in lots of langauges and is sort of timeless-a great way to update [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] in my opinion! I’m not so keen on Ellaree as a name, but I think honour names are a bit different and it’s less about what they look like than what they actually stand for. the whole name works well with your surname and I think, if you guys are both happy with it, you might be on to a winner!

Good luck with your choices!

I love [name_f]Elena[/name_f], and I agree that it does a great job of honouring [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] while still being its own distinct name. Since it has a lot in common with Ellaree, I would have thought that it could serve to honour Ellaree at the same time. If you like [name_f]Elena[/name_f] Ellaree (and while Ellaree isn’t my favourite itself, I totally understand the importance of honouring family), I think it works, but if you’d rather use something else, I think you already have Ellaree covered by using [name_f]Elena[/name_f].