Thoughts on this name?

Okay, so I’ve been trying to come up with a decent professional name, and at the moment I really like the name [name_u]Ember[/name_u] Meadows, however when I come up with names I like to do google searches for them to make sure that it isn’t already a well known name. I did that for this name as well, and what came up was an obituary for someone with the same name who died at the beginning of last month. Would it be rude of me to use this as my pen name knowing someone just passed away had the same name? And also, does it sound like a professional name? I really like how it sounds, but I’m a very indecisive person and anything can really make me rethink a name, and this is definitely one of those things. Plus I did a check on howmanyofme.com and it said only one person in the US has that name, I’m assuming it meant her.

Anyway, what do you all think?

I don’t think it’s rude, but I don’t think the name is particularly “professional”. I’m only 17 so I’m probably not the right person to answer this lmao, but…well, is there a reason you don’t want to use your real name?

I personally like that name :slight_smile:

You seem thrown back by what you have found though. And I find it very considerate of you to give that name a second thought just because of that.

But honestly speaking, I don’t think you have to. If you like that name – go for it!
Yes, that person has passed away recently. But when you start to use that name only now, it will take some time until your name gets widely known and especially if you want to go the traditional route for publishing, it will be more time to pass. And by time, I speak in the range of at least – and that’s probably wishfull thinking – half a year and more. I guess by then the relatives of that woman should have come to terms with the tragedy. And also: Who says that it will be known that this is only your pen name and not your real name?
The name is not super rare (in combination everything that isn’t a combination of super common names gets unique), so there is a chance of another person with that name in this world.

So yes, I think it’s completely ok for you to use that name.
Good luck on your journey :slight_smile:

Well, yeah maybe professional isn’t the best word to use haha. I’m 17 too though, and I mainly don’t want to use it so crazy people can’t find me if I actually make it as an author. I just like the way this one flows too in my opinion. I guess that’s what I meant by professional. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something that sounds good and looks nice written down. I may end up picking something else too, I’m not sure yet. But thank you for your answer!

And thank you too, lillyart! Thank you so much, those are really great points.

I’m with @lillyart. You seem thrownback by the name because someone else has it, but if you like it, I say go for it since ir sounds like a pretty cool name to use for writing in my opinion.

Well not so much that she had it, but yeah thank you as well!