Thoughts on this unusual name...

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the name Siona? Pronounced [name_f]Shona[/name_f]. Would people constantly misspell or mispronounce it? Is it better just spelt [name_f]Shona[/name_f] to avoid any confusion? Except I prefer the look of the spelling Siona… hmm! [name_m]Just[/name_m] came across it and I really took a liking to the name!

Any info on meaning or origin would also be great!

Thanks for your thoughts! x

I think it would be misspelled/mispronounced constantly :frowning: not sure what the origin is, I’d check behindthename or just do a Google search maybe

1 Like

I think it would be constantly mispronounced and misspelled. It’s pretty though!

1 Like

Siona sounds like it could have Irish or Gaelic origins so me. It would likely be mispronounced

1 Like

I would go with [name_f]Shona[/name_f] to avoid wrong pronunciation. According to Behind the Name, [name_f]Shona[/name_f] is an “Anglicized form of [name_f]SEONAG[/name_f] or SEÒNAID”. It is used in Scottish.
[name_f]Shona[/name_f] is the name of an ethnic group who live in southern [name_f]Africa[/name_f], mainly Zimbabwe. [name_f]Shona[/name_f] is also the name of a language used mainly in Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Zambia.

People would never pronounce it [name_f]Shona[/name_f] out of the gate. I think they would say [name_f]Sonia[/name_f] as a guess or be literal and try See-own-a. I agree it may be Gaelic. It reminds me of [name_f]Siobhan[/name_f] that way, which I never would have pronounced [name_f]Shavonne[/name_f] until I knew the name. In that case, I like the traditional spelling though but it’s more common than Siona.

1 Like

Unfortunately I think it would frequently be misspelled or mispronounced. I would definitely go with [name_f]Shona[/name_f]. There is also the option of [name_f]Shauna[/name_f] but a bit different. Good luck!