Thoughts on UK top 100 2010 names just released

The UK released it”s top 100 names for Englad and [name]Wales[/name] yesterday.
Not many changes from the top ten but I did find some interesting jumps in the rest of the charts. I find the UK list a bit more refreshing as [name]Madison[/name] is so low and [name]Maisie[/name] so high. :slight_smile:

The UK Office of Statistics complete top 100 list and name change/trending patterns.
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/babynames/babyname.html

Interesting Article in the Guardian with all the names and analysis here:

Top 20
Boys:

1. [name]Oliver[/name]
  2. [name]Jack[/name]
  3. [name]Harry[/name]
  4. [name]Alfie[/name]
  5. [name]Charlie[/name]
  6. [name]Thomas[/name]
  7. [name]William[/name]
  8. [name]Joshua[/name]
  9. [name]George[/name]
  10. [name]James[/name]
  11. [name]Daniel[/name]
  12. [name]Jacob[/name]
  13. [name]Ethan[/name]
  14. [name]Samuel[/name]
  15. [name]Joseph[/name]
  16. [name]Dylan[/name]
  17. [name]Mohammed[/name]
  18. [name]Noah[/name]
  19. [name]Lucas[/name]
  20. [name]Oscar[/name]

Girls

1. [name]Olivia[/name]
  2. [name]Sophie[/name]
  3. [name]Emily[/name]
  4. [name]Lily[/name]
  5. [name]Amelia[/name]
  6. [name]Jessica[/name]
  7. [name]Ruby[/name]
  8. [name]Chloe[/name]
  9. [name]Grace[/name]
  10. [name]Evie[/name]
  11. [name]Ava[/name]
  12. [name]Isabella[/name]
  13. [name]Mia[/name]
  14. [name]Maisie[/name]
  15. [name]Daisy[/name]
  16. [name]Poppy[/name]
  17. [name]Isabelle[/name]
  18. [name]Ella[/name]
  19. [name]Freya[/name]
  20. [name]Charlotte[/name]

Some observations:
[name]Love[/name] seeing these names so high ( compared to the USA)
[name]Freya[/name], [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Esme[/name], [name]Florence[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Millie[/name], [name]Holly[/name], [name]Isla[/name].

I am baffled by (so dated!) [name]Jessica[/name]”s top 10 status as always.
I had no idea [name]Summer[/name] & [name]Lacey[/name] were so popular.

Biggest overall leaps for Boys: [name]Ollie[/name] (+54), [name]Jenson[/name] (+47), [name]Dexter[/name] (+27)
[name]Bobby[/name] (+21), [name]Caleb[/name] ( +17) [name]Zachary[/name] (+16) [name]Noah[/name] (+14)

For Girls: [name]Maisy[/name] (+41) [name]Maisie[/name] ( +20) [name]Lacey[/name] (+31), [name]Florence[/name] (+26),
[name]Esme[/name] ( +21) [name]Emilia[/name] (+19), [name]Annabelle[/name] (+16)

I am always surprised a little about [name]Jessica[/name] too, but so many people are still loving it and picking it that it might break its dated image. I know a baby [name]Jessica[/name] and a baby [name]Melissa[/name].
I also think the uk list is more my style than the US list.

I’m from the UK, and there are SO many Jessicas, in practically every generation! It’s unreal. Same with [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Bethany[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] etc.

Only ones I’m a little surprised by are:
Boys - [name]Freddie[/name], (influenced by the Skins character, maybe?) [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Kai[/name], [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Bailey[/name].
Girls - [name]Sophia[/name], (I’ve only ever known Sophies around here - maybe this has come from the US, or I’m just leading a sheltered life) [name]Sienna[/name], [name]Maya[/name], [name]Martha[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name].

Everything else seems pretty standard fare! Although it’s a pity about [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Freya[/name], [name]Esme[/name], [name]Archie[/name] and [name]Theo[/name] - I do love those names :lol:

For me, never having read a UK list beyond the top 10, the real surprise is demographic. I didn’t expect [name]Mohammed[/name] to appear so much higher than in the US. In both countries, it’s affected heavily by non-standardized transliteration of Arabic. The top spelling in the US doesn’t have a large lead: [name]Mohamed[/name] #442 (603 babies), [name]Muhammad[/name] #506 (504 babies), [name]Mohammed[/name] #600 (411 babies). Oddly, the predominant spellings were different in 2009: [name]Mohamed[/name] #431 (649), [name]Muhammad[/name] #599 (430), [name]Mohammad[/name] #609 (420). [name]Britain[/name] is different as well; the top 3 spellings don’t include one with only two Ms. There seems to be more inequality between spellings in [name]Britain[/name], but the total is still much higher. Combining the commonest spellings in the US would total over 1500, which still isn’t enough to reach #200.