Thoughts on Valencia and River?

Hello Berries!
For girls my style for first names is usually somwhat frilly and girly but with strength behind it. But I also really love unisex nature names too, apparently I’m one extreme or the other, no in between!
Which brings me to my latest dilemma; [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] or [name_u]River[/name_u].
I have loved [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] for a long time, it just feels like a happy name, and makes me smile when I say it - I’ve been put off it in the past by my mum not really liking it, and the fact that we don’t really have any assocations with the place or anything, but I can’t help it, I just keep coming back to it.
[name_u]River[/name_u] also sounds so beautiful to me and brings to mind such gorgeous imagery! I’ve never let myself seriously contemplate though as I felt you couldn’t have one daughter with a girly name and another with a tomboy-ish unisex name, but I’m starting to wonder if that’s really that big a deal?

We have two children already, a son [name_u]Toby[/name_u] and a daughter [name_f]Athena[/name_f] - would it be daft to have sisters [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_u]River[/name_u]?

What are your thoughts on [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] and [name_u]River[/name_u]?

(fyi, not pregnant, just contemplating for the future)

• [name_u]River[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Valencia[/name_f]

0 voters

(edited to add poll :smiley:)

1 Like

I really love [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] :slight_smile: it’s so beautiful. Reminds me of [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] but softer somehow. I think it’s close enough to names like [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] and [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] that it feels like a name in its own right and not just a place name, to me anyway.
[name_u]River[/name_u] is beautiful too. It is obviously more unisex than [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] but I don’t think it’s too out of place. I think it’s a nice middle ground between brother [name_u]Toby[/name_u] and sisters [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooh I love both but I think I like [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] a bit more. I actually think [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u] flows well so that could be an option!

1 Like

I think that [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_u]River[/name_u] sound nice as sister names! I say go with the name you love more!

1 Like

This. Having names that stylistically “go” is nice, but it’s not necessary. Pick the name you love. Both names are beautiful in their own right.

2 Likes

I like the name [name_u]River[/name_u] better, but I think [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] works better with your sibset.

1 Like

[name_f]Valencia[/name_f] is gorgeous-full of flair and distinction but also wearable like [name_f]Athena[/name_f]

[name_u]River[/name_u] does seem less fitting with your current set but it’s still very pretty and i think it could work.

1 Like

Thanks so much for all the replies so far! I love reading about what others think about names :slight_smile:
Please keep them coming! :smile:

@heyhellohi [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u] is beautiful, but we use two middle names and if we were to have another girl we’re pretty set on her second middle name being [name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f] may be a bit too long?

@may.rose @ceryle Thanks! Good advice, I just wanted to check that [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_u]River[/name_u] didn’t sound silly as sisters to rule that out of the equation. Unfortunately going with the name you love the most is easier said than done when you can’t figure out which one you love the most! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I love love [name_u]River[/name_u]. [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] is pretty but I prefer [name_f]Valentina[/name_f].

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Valencia[/name_f]. It’s interesting and unique. I don’t think you have to have a connection to the place. In my experience, most place names (e.g. [name_u]London[/name_u], [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u]) are used by people with no connection to the place.

[name_u]River[/name_u] is nice too and I don’t think it would sound silly with [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. I think you should go with whichever one you prefer.

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] so much! I think it’s so beautiful and strong. Theres a show called “Crazy Ex Girlfriend” with a character named [name_f]Valencia[/name_f], and she’s great so it made me love the name even more.
I also really like [name_u]River[/name_u] though, especially on a girl.
I know it doesn’t really help, but I think both [name_f]Athena[/name_f] & [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] & [name_u]River[/name_u] sound great together!

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses and votes so far, please keep them coming! Really helps :smile:

That is very true! And we are definitely keen to visit the city of [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] one day, it could make for a pretty special holiday for her too

I have watched a little of that show actually, but found it kinda hard to get into, although I hear that it gets better as it goes on, so maybe I should give it more of a chance!
Haha thanks! It does help actually, as it takes that out as a factor, and I can try to solely focus on which name we love more rather than letting all these external factors sway us

1 Like

Yes, the show definitely gets so much better! It has a lot of great messages/lessons about important topics, such as mental health and learning to love yourself. Which I didn’t think I’d get out of a show with that title! lol. Anyway, if you decide to give it another chance, I hope you enjoy it!!
[name_f]Glad[/name_f] I could help with the names, I hope you’re able to eventually decide which one you love more. I can’t wait to see which one you choose!

1 Like

@regionlatbest Haha no, the title definitely doesn’t give off that vibe! But I will give it another go, I think I’ve only watched the first 3 episodes, so that’s not giving it much time to find it’s rhythm.
Thanks! I’m leaning towards [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] at the moment, I love the nature-y, cool feeling of [name_u]River[/name_u], but I just love saying [name_f]Valencia[/name_f]

1 Like

I think they both go well with your other kids’ names for different reasons. [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] together feel more historical, whilst [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_u]River[/name_u] are more modern and on trend. Almost like one set would be names from a novel, and the other from a cool TV show (if that makes sense). I personally prefer [name_f]Valencia[/name_f], because, having had her as a middle for my top name for years, I just fell in love with the sound and meaning. [name_u]River[/name_u] I really want to like, but the first time I heard it was on someone I dislike, and I just can’t shake it. But it is a great name! Also (being super picky) from a visually aesthetic POV, [name_u]River[/name_u] fits slightly better with T and A than [name_f]Valencia[/name_f].

Both would be beautiful!!!

I love [name_u]River[/name_u]! It’s fresh and friendly. I think the strong Rs and the V make it sound strong, which is the vibe I get from the name [name_f]Athena[/name_f].

Personally, [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] reminds me of the name of a villain in a Disney movie.